Missing Towels and glass

Sadly, this does happen from time to time. In the future you can first ask carefully and politely something like "Sorry, I can’t find the towels. Where did you leave them?” This way it does not sound as if you are immediately accusing them and they might just admit that they’ve taken these items.

1 Like

I thought they couldn’t if you post yours?

Sorry should have added that bit in.

Then they could just say i don’t know and you would be back to square one :slight_smile:

We seem to be having a number of miscommunications lately. :smile:

I was trying to make this clear for the new host. If the thief guest writes a review it won’t post until the host writes hers. In trying to re-read I’m guessing you are suggesting the OP should review the guest before contacting them. My review would be contingent on their reply to my query about the towels so I wouldn’t be doing that. If I wrote a review for a host and then they accused me of stealing something before reviewing me I would go back and change my review.

2 Likes

That is an odd reply from them. Most guests would assume the host knows how many towels they provide. And checking your luggage to see if an unfamiliar towel had turned up would be the least you could offer to do. Sounds like she had it ready “in her back pocket” to use each time she gets caught out. “Oh look there’s no inventory, I’ll just take anything I want!”. Fortunately it doesn’t happen often so don’t let it put you off.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a risk that you take. Though, you might just get a guest who “comes clean” with regards to the missing towel (excuse the pun). Or, perhaps they’ve actually just misplaced it and can direct you to where it is (this can actually be a common issue if you a have a big place).

2 Likes

Here’s another opinion - hosts who stress about things that are going to happen in their rentals - and damaged towels and glasses must be among the most common - could quickly burn out as hosts. The chances are that far worse things will happen so hosts should ensure that their nightly price creates enough revenue to cope with shrinkage (damages, breakages, theft and repairs.)

Also, hosts who start claiming from Airbnb for every damaged item are going to create even more stress for themselves and spend a LOT of time phoning Airbnb, recording damages, checking inventory lists, getting estimates for repairs, contacting and arguing with guests and so on and so on and so on,

Treating damages and losses as a cost of doing business isn’t just sound business sense, it’s also much better for the host’s mental health and blood pressure.

3 Likes