Welcome to AirHostsForum.com!

We are a community of AirBnb hosts. This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts!

Misleading rates

I always thought that was due to ‘the lowest price used once in all of your listings history’ …so if you started at $ 20 some 3 years ago …

hi, what do you mean by Airbnb penalizes the host in the search ranking based on the conversion rate?
Btw- I mentioned this same issue months ago about a listing with a rate of about $60 per night even though the their competitors with comparable number of bedrooms, etc. were priced much higher.
This low ball rate was deceptive because when you go to book, the actual rate that they charge is actually 3x higher!
This property stays fully booked, so obviously folks don’t feel cheated.
Someone responded to my inquiry and said that if one night’s rate is super low, that’s the rate that gets put on the listing.
This property comes up towards the top when you do a search, so clearly the host is not penalized. They’ve been on Airbnb a long time, too.

I know that you weren’t talking to me but I’m chipping in anyway. Hope that’s okay. :slight_smile:

Imagine that you are Airbnb. You see that one property has 5000 views per week but only ten people a week book. Then there’s another property that only gets 50 views per week but gets 25 bookings a week. You’d put the second one at the top of the list.

The good thing is that we don’t actually know that because dates that are blocked will show as booked.

@jaquo Hi, of course, I welcome all input! Thank you for your explanation of conversion rates. I get alot of views (well, 340 seems alot to me!), but not a correspinding number of bookings. Clearly, something is wrong with my listing. I’ve experimented with ( and currently use) a dynamic pricing tool; I research my competitors & had professional pictures taken.
In my area thete are some ridiculously low prices for comp. homes. I’m even the only truly accessible home in the entire 200 mile radius! Been on Airbnb since Dec 2017. Will I ever really make a go of this? I work 7 days a week on this & if I can’t make it profitable then I’m going back to horrible yearly rental. :-(.
Yes, they may not be booked, but they keep getting reviews…

I notice that the hosts that use this trick are never superhost and many time I can’t see they don’t even own the house they rent. Many times they manage lots of properties at the same time and they have been working with Airbnb for only short time. Probably there are guests that don’t mind to book with them, but I prefer to book with hosts that are the actually the owners because I find them more reliable

What do you mean?

My last 30 days I have 875 views and only a 1.6% booking rate yet the last 30 days I was booked 23 nights and had 1 night blocked. I could be much more booked than I am.

Making a go of it is based on how much you need to make over a year compared to how much you can make with a traditional lease. I don’t really consider the work I do on my Airbnb to be much work but if it’s a lot of work for you then factor that in as well.

I just received the notice from Airbnb similar to: “Your listing has been viewed 286 times in the past week for bookings in July & August. 3 of those guests booked at other locations priced $12 a night less than yours…”. During peak season, many people take quick peeks at listings the viewing numbers go up, so not worrisome.

My July is fully booked. I only have 13 open nights in from 8/1-11/30. Like K9KarmaCasa, I don’t have much booking time left. I stopped paying attention to those messages.

@cmpipe some of the hosts on this thread can give valuable feedback on how to make your listing more appealing.

You may wish to send the link to a few via private messaging and ask for their opinions.

@Annet3176 Thank you! I have read alot of questions & answers on this forum, some with “newbies” asking for help, and it seems that hosts, in general, don’t really want to give advice like that. It seems that being successful in this platform (to some) is proprietary information. I get it. I suffered/paid my dues, and so shall you…kind of thing…lol! But you are very kind to suggest it, and your helpful attitude is what this forum is all about, right? 7 months in to this “competitive game” and I’m learning. Take care & best of luck with your listing.

@mille100piedi Hi there! Well, the house I’m talking about with the super low listed price may be just an extra property that the host owns and decides to rent. I only noticed the house because I was researching competitive prices in my general area. Homes w same configuration- # bedrooms,bath,etc. Being new to the short-term rental market, I needed to price accordingly. So I did a search & there’s the house prices waaaaay below what others charge. They had alot of good reviews & calendar was filled. I could not imagine how they even covered their expenses! Lol! And, their home was at the top of the search results. Anyway, for a giggle, I pretended to book, and found that the actual rate they charge is at least 3x what’s on their listing page.
I asked how this was done & got my answer: just one low ball night will do it.
The result is obviously that folks will see the price & review the listing. It’s attractive, so the higher booked price must be ok. It’s a pricing game & for them has become an effective strategy.
What annoys me is that Airbnb is including their house in comps for the area, and no one comes close to their crazy listing price. Now, if the comp results showed the average booked price, then the research would be more helpful. Sigh.

Airbnb should makes things easier, searching for an accommodation it is already time consuming and hosts that behave like that make things more complicated.

@mille100piedi I have to agree. Their search results are useless if you’re trying to price your property based on comparable # of beds, etc. Shows that you cannot base your pricing strategy on their search results. Then you question their “smart pricing” which incorrect if they’re basing it on the listing price of homes. Opens up a can of worms! I’ve read many times that smart pricing is too low. We know why, right?!
Makes me curious as to how many folks use 3p pricing tools…

@K9KarmaCasa I’m glad you asked what “accessible” means as I’ve found ( on Airbnb) that many folks don’t know that it means wheelchair accessible when you’re referring to properties…taken in context, of course.
I exaggerated the radious.
I have rented long-term for years using a Property Manager. It’s safe and the money is consistent, but how much you can charge per month obviously has its limits. Then there’s the tenancy laws,etc.; maintaining the property…list goes on.
Short-term rental can be more profitable and they’re out in a few days- you can see damage right away, etc. I’ve found it has its advantages as long as the price is right & you get booked.
The work, I’ve found is in pricing correctly & making the listing more appealing than òthers.
If you’re lucky to have a home where many people want to go on holiday ( London, New York) then unless there’s a glut of properties, chances are, for a decent place, you open the door and they fall in. I don’t have that tourist-driven traffic. I’m in the suburbs just outside Atlanta, so I have to pull people in by marketing, pricing, advertising, etc.
So, it’s been alot of work getting bookings.
I know what I need to make-it’s a matter of getting there.
Cheers!

@cmpipe

There are hosts on this forum who are helpful. If you send them personal messages you are not subjecting your listing to critique by the many. There are several on this thread an others who would give you helpful feedback. All you need to do is ask them. If you don’t know who to message, I’m sure the moderators would make recommendations, as would I.

I’m having trouble understanding this statement. Two weeks ago there was a shortage of rooms due to multiple conferences, events & ball games in Atlanta. If your listing is properly presented, you should’ve had rentals.

Some websites show a range or average price. At least they are obliged to offer the rate listed for the date. Using TripAdvisor and putting in dates then clicking through to the cheapest booking site (Bookings.com is the worst abuser) the actual rate is often much higher. If TA were genuine in trying to be honest they would randomly check rates and throw off the worst ones but those are also their clients who pay them $$$$.

Hi, yes, July is doing ok, but I can’t say the same for August, etc. I’ve had a problem with pricing, so I just signed up with Wheelhouse. I get stressed because my home/rental is my future security.
If you’d like to take a peek at my home? Just first impressions…like is it inviting?

wow… that’s big…lol! ( the link results)…

Like many have already answered, we have weekend and holiday rates that are higher than our base rate. But we also follow the lead of local hotels and may charge even higher rates when we have already booked a certain percentage of our available dates. We do this rather then block those dates but are perfectly comfortable if no one books at the higher rate. However, we never offer a rate lower than our base rate.

No, not to me.

You focus on a very small niche market. A group of guests that is does not use AirBnB as their first choice to find a place. You focus a lot on this, so this could scare other guests away.
Also when these guests look for an accessible place, they will use the filters, so no need to put it in the listing title.

Also the first description are all bulletpoints. And due to the use of caps, ~, $ and bad and useless abbreviations the whole thing is not friendly to the eye and hard to read:

"• SAVE $ w Fully equipped Kitchen. "

This just hurts my eyes… and how do you think this will look in AirBnB’s auto translate.
It would be a lot better to write a friendly paragraph of text.

Look at your your main competitor in accessible listings: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20458108?location=Smyrna%2C%20GA%2C%20United%20States&s=Qdzo0O0g

His pictures could be better, but his description is a lot more readable.

I would also change the main picture. Now it is just a drone picture of a green house, that could use some tweaking of the levels and curves. (The second picture is a bleached picture of the entrance, followed by an simple picture of a bedroom.)

But think of what people would like about the house, give people ideas of what the house has to offer them during the stay. For example, for summer bookings I would dress up the wooden patio, and create a family outside dinner setting, and use that as the main picture. So when people see your listing they will think: “that is what I want for my family”.

I don’t really get why so many people are jumping to the conclusion that hosts that might have individual nights priced much lower than average are trying to trick anyone.

You know that airbnb is the one who chooses to flag this “prices start as low as” and not include all fees, not the host.

I personally will often heavily discount the odd unsold nights left over between other reservations as they get closer just to fill them. I’m doing it to get revenue for a night that would otherwise go vacant, not to affect how my listing is displayed.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!