Minors travelling alone

I’ve seen the request before somewhere or other (a different thread? Different forum?) ie ‘two young people ( -minors- )travelling for a tennis tournament’ - but some months ago! Hmmmmm…sounds way too dodgy. Wouldn’t touch with a barge pole I’m afraid.

Hi @Caiti,

I haven’t posted about this anywhere else, and I wrote about it right as it was happening. Just for the record.

No, I didn’t think so, but more the point is that this request has been made of host/s before?

Hi @Caiti,

Well, if you come across the request again, post a link. It seems rather particular, but kids do go to tennis tournaments unaccompanied.

If it weren’t against Airbnb’s terms of booking for someone else, I likely would accept the booking as long as I was living there and it wasn’t a separate space. I would of course make sure it was clear with the parent that they must go over all house rules with the kids, etc. before I even accepted the booking. Two 15 year old traveling for a tennis tournament sounds like they will need to be in bed early to get a good night’s rest. If the tournament is for the best of the best in the world to compete then you know these kids are very disciplined.

Hi @cabinhost,

Well, it’s a moot point, but I might have considered it. Though probably not. Also, the parent struck me as a bit of a flake. He didn’t even enter the right dates in the request.

It’s hard to say how two kids will behave without parental supervision. And I don’t think it’s some super-special tennis tournament.

Good point. If it was a serious competition then kids would probably be traveling with their coach and staying in a hotel to make sure they eat properly to prepare.

We also had a guy whose assistant booked the room for him. She said he was physically unable to do so himself. When he showed up at my door he literally had t-Rex arms, obviously he couldn’t type himself. He was extremely grateful for us hosting him. We have a pretty open mind when it comes to hosting, and really life in general. I get why Airbnb has this policy but there are always extenuating circumstances.

3 Likes