Midnight charlady stupid host award!

After all this time you think I would have this figured out! Turns out that “one day advance notice” is any time up to midnight the day before. So guess which host got an IB at 11:30 p.m.? Guess which host was busy scrubbing, vacuuming and wrassling with sheets until 1:00 a.m.? Guess which host had to then get up later that same morning and put in a full day of work at their job? That’s right, me! I’ll have to make it a practice from now on to block the next day if it hasn’t been booked by 5:00 p.m. Oh bother. Feeling stupid (and tired).

6 Likes

I bet you are so tired and sleep well. I have a 12 midday cut off for IBs. And I said else where I was also going to bed but your post looked too interesting to leave.

3 Likes

Is that why they have two days advance notice as an option? I always clean the room ASAP. So if a guest checked out while I was at work I’d clean it when I got home from work and then it would be ready the next day at check in time. That wouldn’t work for you? Or did I misunderstand your post? Also…I love your sense of humor!

3 Likes

Oooh – Can I do the cut off in an automated fashion? Couldn’t quite see that on the app but then again have already admitted to being a bit thick

2 Likes

For me, 1 day notice is exactly 24 hours before checkin time, not midnight. My bomb appears at 3pm the day before.

1 Like

:nut_and_bolt:’d by my flex check in policy perhaps? (OK that’s actually a bolt emoji but the closest I could find.) And Karma pitiful as my life is, I do have the rare social event after work ha!

1 Like

@dpfromva. Yup. I think that is logical… flex-side-effect.

Sorry to hear this @dpfromva. I do IB and I have a House Rule which says Instant Booking only available when made more than 24 hours in advance. (I change it to 12 if I’m desperate.)

So if someone IBs too late, I can just cancel on the grounds of guest breaking the House Rule. It works quite well. No stress.

3 Likes

When does a person booked 90+% of the time become desperate?

3 Likes

Good question lol. When he’s languishing below 95% :wink:

3 Likes

You can set a time that stops booking for day, or a minimum time between bookings/guests arriving.

This is a constant learning curve isn’t it?
I learn someth8ng new with every guest.

3 Likes

The day you stop learning is the day you die.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! It’s helpful!

Did you know you can now cancel IBs without being penalised?

Yeah, but if the IB goes through without a hitch, it rather contradicts any rule in the listing that states booking not later than 3 p.m. the day prior, or whatever, and I can understand that a guest would be thinking “WTF?” if I cancelled.

I would rather keep my flex check in time (which attracts the business late arrivals and last-minute “hey, let’s drive there Friday night for a mini-vacay” folks), and be vigilant to block the next day if not booked by 5 p.m. Better that guests don’t even see my listing as available than book and get cancelled.

Astaire, I think 24 hours notice could still get me an 11:30 booking the night before with my flex (anytime) check in. Still roaming the Air platform to see if there’s another solution. All tips appreciated.

By the way, I got a blazingly good review from the midnight booker – BF in town and GF planned a little getaway. Potential repeat business there.

1 Like

Oh man thats stressful. I always block a whole day before but I have noticed that the app sometimes books the next day? Is that a glitch???

I feel for you - they ups and downs of an airbnb host!!!

I can’t afford to turn anyone down, so as soon as a guest leaves, I clean the room and bathroom and kitchen, set up the bedroom and bathroom for a new guest, then just keep it all as spic and span as possible every day. When I was a kid, all mothers did this all the time anyway, so it’s not as big a deal as it seems even to me, I just have to remind myself of that from time to time. Yes, I live in the house that I rent rooms.

1 Like