Michigan House approves controversial short-term rental protections in overnight session

There are already things like “right to quiet enjoyment”. New laws are not the answer. All we need to do is, record a business (host) who has multiple violations at their place and if needed fine and possibly even shut them down for repeated offenses.
more local ordinances are a terrible idea. The people coming up or voting on them rarely have any STR experience.

I didn’t find that off-topic at all. When an area becomes overrun with short term rentals, the people who service that market can no longer find affordable housing, which I see in my town. Many waiters, cleaners, etc. here commute to work from other towns. Some come on the bus everyday from Puerto Vallarta, a 45 minute bus ride away.

I bought a lot here 13 years ago and built a house, because it was becoming impossible to find a place to rent long term at a reasonable price that wasn’t a hovel.

It is off topic because the reply was unrelated to the actual discussion. That is what off topic means. The tangent may be interesting, or not.
People make the “commute argument” as if it applies only to food service, etc. Total BS. We can’t afford to live close to my wife’s work and she’s a professional so she commutes. I did for years, often a few hours per day. It’s earning a living and “it is what it is”.

This is his thread so it makes sense that he can comment on it however he wants. But even if it were not his thread you’ve been here long enough to know that we don’t really stick to a strict stay on topic rule.

Why are you trying to dictate to the OP what his own discussion must be about?

In a democracy we don’t believe people need to have experience with something to vote on it. Whether this is a feature or a bug is in the eye of the beholder. Thinking that the great unwashed masses need someone to dictate to them what is best for them is characteristic of authoritarian/oligarchical thinking.

3 Likes

After all the arguments I’m back to “balance”. I’ve lived there (HOA) and don’t love them. They are, in fact, another layer of government & where I lived we actually met w/ the city manager, etc regularly. The point? We are all regulated to some degree. Where I am now, I only need peak out the window to see the city Code Violation truck drive by periodically or try to build a pool or addition & here we go with the permits.

We may not want to admit it, but we need it - to some degree. It’s a pain lots of times but the reality is I don’t want my neighbor to be allowed to use their front lawn as a garbage dump because while it’s their property to do with as they wish it impacts me - couldn’t run a STR next door to that, messes with my property values, etc.

I do believe there is such a thing as too much government, but there can also be too little. Balance, that’s all I’m saying.

I hope I stayed on topic enough :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed a balanced articulate and well conceived response.

1 Like

Ok and one does not need to agree or be coerced to engage to a proposed change of topic, OP or otherwise. Apples and oranges.

I do not think trying to force a property owners into using their properties as LTR’s is a solution. I do not have a solution, but I am nearly 100% sure I will never become a traditional landlord. I plan on building a duplex on my adjacent lot and it will be STR only. By that time I will live in the main cabin, and have 3 STR’s No way would I wan’t full timers living that close to me.

If I was regulated out of STR’s I would likely sell before LTR

RR

2 Likes

I don’t disagree. And I don’t know the answer either. I do know plenty of people who are fine with being LTR landlords, I am just not one of them. I hope we don’t get to the place where we are regulated completely out of STR’s but I also know there is a problem to be solved.

To be honest, I feel like companies buying up homes to STR or those people renting up bunches of LTRs to turn them into STRs are the first place to start. We hope to retire to our one STR later. This was a way for me to “return to work” after years of raising kids. We aren’t making tons of money but it’s helping to build a nest egg & allow us to stay in this area once we are on a fixed income. I’m not playing any violins over here. We are blessed to even be able to do this much.

If it gets hijacked it can always be locked. :wink:

1 Like

I have two properties in the STR market. Our STRs are in an age restricted community, so they aren’t taking away housing from the local workers.

One is a small home in a neighborhood that was originally built by the developer to house potential clients for “life style visits”. People would come and stay 3 days to a week and hopefully buy a home from the developer while they were here. They have since moved the official “life style visits” program to a neighborhood closer to where the new homes are being built, and sold off these small homes to private owners. I’d guess over half are used as STRs by their new owners.

Surprisingly, the people who bought these former STRs from the developer and moved into them are now complaining there are STRs in their neighborhood. I don’t think their complaints will get too far. The taxes on the STR businesses helps pay for the landscaping, and recreational facilities and nightly live entertainment that bring people to the area. The developer and county need a decent amount of vacationers to come and fall in love and retire here. I’m confident that property will always be a STR.

My second STR home is my original home when I moved here. I’m more conflicted on that property having people come in and out so much in that neighborhood. I don’t want to bother the neighbors, many who I’ve known for awhile, and do check in to make sure our renters are not a bother.

If that neighborhood were to restrict STRs I’d either turn it to a LTR, sell it, or, if it’s enough years from now, move back into it. We didn’t originally sell it because we love that house and remodeled for us. But it was just too small. Eventually we will want to downsize, and that’s were I can see us going.