Masks required?

As of this Saturday, masks will no longer be mandatory in outside spaces across the whole of Spain.

It will still be mandatory for you to have one in your possession, and if caught without one, a €100 fine can be levied.

Our health minister, down here in Andalucía is opposed to this move for now, but is powerless to do anything other than advise folks to use them when a safe distance cannot be maintained. Our infection rate overall is still a lot higher than most of Spain unfortunately.

I was talking to JC, the owner of the bar in our plaza the other night about this, and both him and D the waiter will still be wearing theirs outside on the terraza. A few other customers were of the opinion that they’d carry on wearing one, mainly because locally our infection rate has been on the up during the past week or so.

I don’t suppose that the date of this announcement has anything to do with the fact we’re now heading into tourists season… nah, that’d be way too cynical of me.

At least our vaccination program is zipping along now, our date for the second dose was 10th July but it’s been announced that we’ll probably get called in sooner.

JF

2 Likes

I was in a couple of stores yesterday for the first time since they decided masks were optional. I wore mine and realized all the employees are still wearing masks in these two stores. If nothing else I like the idea of showing solidarity with the employees. I don’t like the idea of people thinking I’m not vaccinated.

It will be interesting to see if this Delta variant has any impact on attitudes in this country. I was reading of how vax rates are lagging badly in the US South and how people are getting sick and dying if they aren’t vaccinated. Maybe the narrative will just switch from they “have a chip/are altering our DNA” to “they are killing us.”

Interestingly, I was reading similar this morning, although it didn’t go into specific areas. The thrust of the article was that folks in the US are seeing rates and deaths go down, therefore they feel they don’t have to bother getting vaccinated. It suggested that the take up rate in the US, for all vaccine variants, is way behind the UK and Europe.

JF

The United States is not united. The US south is dragging down our average.

1 Like

Well, Juneau is to Alaska what Austin is to Texas, the blue capital city in a red state. Fortunately now 70% of those over 12 are fully vaccinated, and most of us hope all the kids get the shots before school starts in September. I’ve felt comfortable enough to attend 2 long delayed memorials/celebrations for folks that died during the past year without a mask, and my first booking is for a family coming for such a celebration. We were all saying how nice it was that things are getting back to normal.

When you live in a small town, you attend funerals to show support for your friends and neighbors. Weddings and funerals seem to be what folks miss the most, along with graduations.

They’re still in denial about losing that previous insurrection 156 years ago.

It’s long past time to get over it. It’s time for them to accept the reality that in a few years they will be in the minority and learn to live with it, but as long as the folks who take the 9 cookies and tell them that those black folks are trying to steal their cookie keep repeating that propaganda, it will continue. IMHO the best thing that could happen would be for Fox to collapse when Rupert Murdoch dies.

4 Likes