Marked down for value to a 4

Flax- I’ve had a similar problem in my listing (in Edinburgh) - swanky looking photos (I have a 4 poster bed for my guests), totally normal, if historic looking flat, complete with the insane amounts of dust that come with somewhere so old, eccentricities of ancient plumbing and communal living in a really old building. It’s weird as I have one small fairly boring room and one larger room with the 4 poster bed. The 4 poster goes on cheaper and gets worse reviews every time. I can only guess that despite the description (which lists in detail every flaw of our flat) that people’s expectations get set really high by seeing what they imagine to be a beautiful old historic room, without understanding the realities or practicalities of actually living in such a building. My written description sets the bar pretty low so I really don’t know what else to do. Crappy photos maybe?

That’s interesting to hear Edinburghhost. I think people have become awful grouches. Do you find the older guest more finickity? I’ve had one or two real sourpusses. I think: is this really how you live your life? Not enjoying yourself even on holiday? No bad reviews as yet, mostly 4 or 5 but the ridiculous fantasy of friendly, happy guests that airbnb promotes, is just that, a fantasy.

No, don’t put in crappy photos! If you’ve managed peoples’ expectations in your description, there’s nothing more you can do. Problem with Edinburgh is that there is so much competition. I’d rather have fewer guests but the right guests - but then I’m not doing this as a full or even part-time job. Just to pay my (extortionate council tax) which it just about does.

1 Like

So much is similar about your experience and our Flax, including using Airbnb just to pay the extortionate taxes. I couldn’t agree more about the fantasy of the wonders of hosting. Either people are getting completely different guests to us, or their version of reality is different.

I’d love to visit Ediinburgh. I also think that Edinburghost gets it so right when mentioning that many guests love the idea of a historic home but have no idea about the quirks that come along with it such as creaking floorboards, older plumbing, and large windows that can take a bit of muscle to open sometimes. Many people have only stayed in ‘faux historic’ hotels - or hotels made to look old but are nothing like the real thing and unfortunately have a mistaken belief that all historic buildings are just like new ones just with higher ceilings and pretty cornices. It’s a real pity when people have this fantasy that doesn’t match the reality, and they are unable to appreciate the qualities that are there.

It is interesting this point about the reality of old buildings. There is a trend on our street now to completely gut these lovely old 1825 houses until they resemble the interior of a bland boutique hotel. Nothing can be done on the outside as we are Grade 1 listed, but people just rip out all the character. It has been incessant development over the last decade or so and always with the same result.

Some people who visit us (not guests - they’re in the former servant quarters in the basement!)- comment on what a lovely feel our house has. And that’s because they ‘get’ the house. In that - though we did a lot of work to it 21 years ago when we came here (because it hadn’t been touched for 70 years), we kept the old feeling of the place.

It’s something you either have or don’t, this sensibility for old houses. It seems, as you say, Sandy, that people are used to staying in old buildings that have been completely ripped out internally and decked in modern fittings. This - now that people with real money (read, bankers) have moved into the street (though it was always a wealthy street it was more aristocrats plus a smattering of artists/academics) - is what people desire in their homes.

Driven mad by THREE successive guttings of the house next door (philistines!) I said to my last neighbour (thankfully moved on having been bankrupted by the renovations: karma!) in a fit of exasperation: you don’t HAVE to replace everything with new, you know…