Making a little extra cash from your visiting guests

I go to an Airbnb where I learned the host was a massage therapist and so I get a massage each time I stay that costs about 3-4 times the room rate with tip. We were both military and are both single women so she does not advertise it and I don’t mention it in reviews.

If she is comfortable mentioning it to a guest she does.

We have friends who are antique dealers as well as hosts in Milan. They also have an underground supper club. They have their antiques in their shared space both for decor and for sale. Both AIrbnb and dinner guests buy them.

1 Like

That’s either a very expensive massage or I’m not reading this right.

The massage is 90 minutes and the room rate is very cheap! Both are a good deal, together and separately.

1 Like

I like the idea of offering chilled wine/ sparkling for special occasions. Till now, I have done that without extra charge when guests book and mention it is a celebration getaway.
Where do you mention it tho and how much would you add to a bottle of wine / sparkling served on ice in an ice bucket?

The first thing I’d do is check my STR insurance policy. Mine specifically prohibits supplying alcohol to guests in anyway, whether it’s free or paid.

If you’re in the clear to serve or sell alcohol, then I think I’d maybe triple the price of the bottle?

This makes me think. It might be nice if AIRBNB will give us the option to create extra add on packages guests could purchase: add onto their reservation. Sort of like the way you can pay extra to arrange to have your cruise ship cabin decorated or, like some hotels, where you can pay a charge to have chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting for you.

True but in my experience they would screw that up too. I’d keep my options as my control instead of Airbnb’s.

Thanks for the reply Chloe. I dont have any STR insurance, so I guess I’m good to go. Agreed, would be nice if we could include ‘extras’ somewhere. I guess the only way to do it then, is, to mention such an option in the message to guest once they have booked, payable on arrival maybe

I just stayed at a home in Newton, MA that had an “honor bar” with an Italian red and an Italian white for $10 a bottle. We used one bottle and I noticed that other reviews commented favorable on it.

1 Like

Nice name, ‘honor bar’. So, did you just leave the $10 there when you left?

Revisiting this year old thread I still haven’t signed up for Lyft but get closer every day. I have a regular guest from a town 3 hours away that doesn’t have an airport. She is a cash client and getting to be more like a friend with each visit. I recently offered to have her park her car here instead of at the airport. I gave her a free lift to the airport as I would for a friend. I don’t have liability concerns with her but I would with a complete stranger. So I’d love to monetize my parking space and my ability to give rides but I need to protect myself first. I don’t even have STR insurance. If I’m going to promote people parking here I’ve got to be able to make more that the increased insurance cost.

Yes. He has an envelope on a stand that you put the money in.

1 Like

He has two cases of wine in his unlocked basement. I guess at his nightly rate (over $500) a night, he doesn’t have a problem with theft?

1 Like

I think I might just try that. Thank you!

1 Like

That seems amazing! My wonder is why you sell it at wholesale to guests?
Do you also say in which stores can be found around?

As you just joined an hour ago, you probably didn’t notice that this thread is years old?

Unlisting.