Makeup Removal Etiquette

So they can do it in front of a mirror with extra water available if they need it maybe. I’m not sure… it’s something I’ve always done in the bathroom before brushing my teeth, removing my contact lenses etc… part of the before bed routine.

1 Like

Or, how about wherever you leave the guest towels and wash cloths, leave the makeup wipes sitting on top?

Me too - always in the bathroom.

The towels we are using in the rental at the moment have been in use for two years and we haven’t lost one to stains. In the past when towels have been too bad for guests I either use them in my own bathroom (I know that they’re clean, after all) or if absolutely necessary I cut them up into facecloth-sized pieces for cleaning cloths.

I could try that. I have very few guests who wear makeup which is why I wondered if people who wear makeup would be offended by having the makeup wipes pointed out.

Makeup wearer here and you always remove makeup in the bathroom. You need access to water and a mirror to check it’s all off.

Just for the record - wipes don’t really work. Most makeup wearers will also travel with their preferred method of removal. It ends up on towels when you dry your face off and it’s crept down your neck. I used to always cover towels (by accident ) until I swapped to the microfibre makeup removal cloths which I use on my face and neck then rinse out, wring and use to dry my face. And yep I travel with a travel version, it’s that good.

That said makeup has always washed out of my towels without any special treatment whereas fake tan stains. (I’m not a fake tan user).

I’m not a big makeup wearer either, only really for really special occasions (weddings etc). But I had enough girly sleepovers in my teenage years to know the routine :joy:

@EllenN

Do not feel uncomfortable mentioning the make-up removal pads. It’s like mentioning where the soap or toothpaste is kept if they are not in plain sight. I would never feel offended to have them pointed out to me (though they really should be in the bathroom).

Off to the left of the sink, I have a small wire rack that sits under two open shelves holding bath towels. The rack holds 3 rolled up face cloths in a pyramid (brown, navy and grey). The top drawer of the sink vanity is kept empty for the guest’s make-up and such and only contains a packet of make-up remover cloths and a stand mirror. Everything is obvious and convenient to the female guest. I do not have an issue with stained towels.

Just a thought…if you still have that tray on the wood chest in your bathroom, it would be a perfect place to situate the make-up remover wipes and a couple of dark washcloths. I don’t know what you have in it but if you prop the pack of remover wipes up so it’s visible, you wouldn’t even need to mention it.

I had a German guest ask me why so many Irish women orange, it’s the false tan. You gotta love the bluntness. I leave wipes in their bathroom and in their room, only one person left make up stains

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I do still have the tray in my bathroom. It’s for the guests’ toiletries. Many of them fill it up. From now on, if I see that a woman wears makeup, I will ask her if she wants me to put the makeup removal wipes in the tray. In my case it’s maybe one out of fifty guests who wear makeup so I don’t want to have makeup remover pads taking up valuable storage space for guests who don’t wear makeup.

I hated when woman would do this so i put a little note in each room not to use the towels to remove make up and provide makeup wipes in each bathroom and so far so good

Make up stains are such a pain and really difficult to get out. I agree with K, put it in your house rules and explain that the cost of replacement will ‘unfortunately’ have to be deducted from their deposit. This also applies to sun tan and after sun lotion stains.

I have white bed linen and towels and my house rules state that stains from makeup. sun lotions or anonymous, that cannot be removed will incur a charge and I list the charges per pillowcase, sheet and towel.

1 Like

Yup, misty. You’ve got it.

Do you mind me asking how much you charge?