Major crisis - Construction Started Next Door. Help!

Great story!

Sadly, I already got ‘How could you not tell us about the construction?!’ email. Wah wah.

1 Like

Ridiculous!

20 20 20

I believe that construction noise is perfectly normal for a city or suburbs. Some people just enjoy complaining. If there was no construction these guests would complain that the neighborhood was run down. We have a house being built from the ground up across the street. We tell the guests to use the earplugs we provide if they want to sleep in.

1 Like

I know we are not hotels…but how many hotels would email a guest a warning about staying there if there was construction noise anticipated nearby? ZERO.

2 Likes

You are absolutely correct. They will, however, email you if there will be construction in the building, especially if it affects the common areas. I once had a hotel offer me a cancelation, or they would reduce the price by [if I remember correctly] 40%. Oh, yes. I took the 40%. The only inconvenience was that the elevators were a bit slower since the work-folks were also using them.

1 Like

BUT noise in the building is not the same as nearby. I also think since Az building is all individual units, she shouldn’t be held accountable for the construction activities of neighbors. Just not fair!

2 Likes

She says that it is in the building next door, not the unit next door.

1 Like

@EllenN I agree these guests would complain about anything. The building is my profile photo, there are 2 flats on each floor and 8 floors. We have light spaces aka ‘patio’ (not accessible) in between the buildings for light and ventilation, this is where the construction is taking place. There is also construction going on in the Attic unit of our building, but there is ZERO way they can hear/know about that, it is VERY far from our flat and not noisey…

@konacoconutz I have never been offered a refund for construction at a hotel, famously, I was a hotel during a Hurricane and they only offered refunds the day after the hurricane made land fall. I agree things not happening in our own spaces, are out of our control, and guests need to realize that.

We have no unit next door as the center light space/patio separates the units on the floor. I believe we share one small wall, at the front of the flat, but its not like there is banging and drilling ‘right there’! Also, remember this building is from the 1800s the insulation, is plaster and bricks, so its not like they are hearing convos of people in the next flat.

In the email from the guest, they said it was directly outside the kitchen (yes, where the light space is) and one of the bedrooms (also has a window into the light space). I don’t understand the issue, bc the bedroom in question is a children’s bedroom with bunk beds, and these are 2 grown adults who already told me out 4 bedroom/120sqm apartment was too cramped for more than 2 people to stay. So, why are they even considering using a childs room? I’m just so confused. LOL

Would any of you ladies kick them out? Regardless of the money factor.

When we were in Europe we laughed a lot about how every building seemed to be constantly under construction. We said that we wanted to be in the catwalk business and sell them in Italy. People need to understand that old buildings need renovation.

I have been offered a refund twice from hotels. Once in Costa Rica because there were scorpions in the beds and in people’s shoes. I wasn’t concerned, but my husband couldn’t leave fast enough. The other time was a Motel 6 in Santa Barbara, California that had no electricity for the better part of a day. Construction in a city is completely ordinary and not a reason for a refund unless it is going on at 3:00 A.M. On the other hand, I don’t want guests who don’t want to be at my house. If it were me; I would tell the guests that if they want to cancel I will gladly refund the days they don’t stay. I’m in Los Angeles, CA near the airport so any time I’ve had a guest cancel I’ve gotten another guest right away. Also, when a guest cancels; Airbnb bumps your listing higher in the search. If I were in a far flung destination that takes planning to access like Kona or Mearns; I probably wouldn’t be so liberal about cancellation.

2 Likes

Thank for the feedback. I did offer them to cancel, however, it will be difficult for them to find another property, I’m sure. They of course did not respond to my cancellation offer.

My question is should I take it to the next level and cancel the reservation myself via Air BNB for the TOS violation. The mother booked for the daughter then decided to not stay bc the flat is too small. This, as my husband says, is the ‘nuclear’ option. However, I don’t want these people staying for 8 days and being miserable the entire time.

I’m not sure we would rebook, which is fine, because it is the start to slow season and I was actually surprised to get this booking.

It’s completely up to you. As they don’t want to relocate; if I were you I would call Airbnb and make sure that as the person who made the reservation didn’t stay they won’t be eligible to write a review. Once you’ve gotten that settled you can have a come to Jesus talk with the guests. Tell them that as they’ve violated the terms of service you are within your rights to terminate their stay. Tell them that they are free to cancel the rest of their stay; but if they choose to stay it will be under the agreement that they don’t complain about anything.

Is that possible!? I have never heard of that before. Have you had success?

Yes, I have asked more than once. The first time was when a couple expressed surprise that I have two twin beds; not one larger bed. Our listing says that we have two twin beds and shows pictures of them. The couple left without saying goodbye. The second time was when a woman Instant Booked for the same day for her daughter not realizing that her daughter is afraid of large dogs. I did not give her a refund. The most recent time; the guest was seventeen years old. I called Airbnb to get his account revoked and to verify that as he isn’t eligible to have an account he is ineligible to write a review. In each instance, the Airbnb representative told me that I was correct in believing that if the guest wrote a review it would be removed. None of these guests wrote a review, so I didn’t get the chance to test the accuracy of the advice I was given. It goes without saying; I didn’t write a review of these guests.

Okay… fair enough. I will definitely call ABB and start the process, as the last thing I need is a awful review by these people

1 Like