Major Airbnb crackdown coming, it sounds like!

So how is airbnb limiting listings a tax grab? Sounds to me like you have a housing market problem …

This is very good news for many hosts whose business is going to get a boost since many properties will be taken out of the market.

2 Likes

Our city budget was passed recently and a HUGE percentage is how much they estimate they will make from this upcoming enforcement. Our state already has been collecting taxes through the platform, now the city wants its part, and also $1 as a goodwill “affordable housing” donation per booking.

Yep exact same happened in Berlin. The price of room listings rocketed …

To be honest good for Airbnb. Pleased they’re finally sending out clear signals about how they feel about compliance

2 Likes

That’s what I WANT to happen, our city is 70% whole house, I want my competition SLASHED. The proposed regulations will not hurt them one bit though if every weekend gets rented.

I don’t get your logic …

A house that is empty for 9 months of the year isn’t generating income during that time ? And that even if as a whole property listing you rented every weekend you wouldn’t break even with such a low occupancy rate…

Assuming the 90 days is enforced by Airbnb in New Orleans it will force whole property listings to go elsewhere … no-one can make enough money otherwise ?

1 Like

You can charge more the weekends you ARE available, because the demand for whole house will still be there. Supply and demand.

Don’t think you could charge enough to make up for the fact that 3/4s of the year has been wiped out. You think the market can cope with price increases of 75%?

my suspicion is whole property listings will either need to return to long term letting or maybe move to VRBO etc (assuming Airbnb’s competitors don’t take a similar stand…)

I do, people are making quite a bit right now, and I’d guess they are already only renting on weekends so the changes will not affect them if at all. I doubt whole house people will just start staying at hotels or go private room to save money, they will just bring MORE partiers to split the cost.

Renting a “party house” sounds like a nightmare! I don’t know how the $$ could offset the headache.

2 Likes

Absentee owners, they don’t care, remotely hire a clean up crew, money flows in. That’s the problem.

Mmmm I don’t know. Lots of hosts on here are whole property listers and don’t offer a party house, nor would they ever want to.

The ability to make profit in the situation you describe would be …difficult at best. I’m going to guess the clean up from having your place battered every weekend would also add to the cost …

Are they locals though? We have out of towners who buy up houses, renovate them, sell them or in the meantime rent whole house until someone does.

I’m sure you do. My assumption is they want to make money in the easiest way possible … I don’t know if running a party house every weekend (in order to comply with a 90 day requirement) sounds easy or profitable.

If it were me I’d go elsewhere to make my money.

People manage, I suppose, rent on weekend, spend weekdays cleaning up. I know a whole houser who rents out a mansion and actually he gets lots of well mannered people who are wealthy, so its not necessarily trashed every single time.

1 Like

@Chris ah, sorry, missed that post somehow, I actually looked around before posting :flushed:

Oh you’re BRUTAL! :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha, when whole house have 70% of the listings, it’d be nice to have a lot more inquiries. Prices are very similar to mine for a low end whole house, or even a decent one so it would really help. I do very well but I’d like to do even better.

The problem is, people want whole houses because they have a large group. Those people aren’t going to be inquiring about your Quasimodo basement room. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The solution is very easy.

1. Make sure your parents are registered at this location as their primary address.
  2. Do not rent it out as as a full property, but as a private room.