Loud guest + extra guest

Hi Guys,

I’m starting in the Airbnb community and I’m super lost about how to deal with a loud guest. This guy came with his partner and were sex loud at early night, and music loud at the morning. They aren’t breaking the rules of quiet hours but they are breaking one of the condo rules about excessive noise (which I don’t describe all in the listing because they don’t read but it is mentioned in the listing and it’s printed in their bedroom). Can a cancelation be made after their reservation started?
They also brought someone else to the place, which worries me because aibnb says they need to informe us about it and in our rules we add extra guest = extra payment. It doesn’t matter if they don’t stay longer, I mean, you don’t get in a hostel unless you pay for it (in general), but my biggest concern is, my building is all freaked out about security and my guest having a unknown guest can become a problem and I don’t want stop hosting.

What do you guys usually do in this situations?

Another question, don’t you guys think airbnb should be more picky with the guest? I feel they are really picky with us about everything, but they aren’t with the guests. First of all, this isn’t a hotel right? So the first rule airbnb should have the guests signing they understand that.

Let me know your thoughts.

If it’s not in the listing as a rule you can’t use it as a reason to ask people to leave. I feel for you though…maybe you could try talking to them ?

1 Like

Tell them to pay for the extra guest. Do it through the airbnb system. Send them the payment request and if they don’t pay you cancel their reservation because they are breaking the rules. [quote=“TomB, post:1, topic:12210”]
all freaked out about security
[/quote]

Is it a violation of your lease

for you to do short term rentals on Airbnb?

You are the one that is there to police the guest. What would you like Airbnb to do? Have you even contacted them yet? They don’t have any magic powers.

3 Likes

It sounds like you don’t live near your listing. Who told you about the excessive noise?

YOU are responsible to your condo association about violations of noise rules, NOT AirBub, not your guests. Why haven’t you confronted the guests about their unwelcome noise – “nothing wrong with sex folks, but please keep down the screaming at the top of your lungs!” If you don’t have the condo noise rules posted in your listing, tough rocks, AirBnb isn’t going to help you if you don’t have posted rules about noise.

Extra guest? Prove it. Got door cam footage? If not, why not. Otherwise it’s just your word against theirs.

First thing you should have done was confronted them; second thing would have been to call AirBnb.

1 Like

It isn’t a violation of the condo rules to have airbnb, but if people start to be a problem, like partying and making loud sex, it will be, I assume, in ALL condos.
And I think its pretty rude informing me that airbnb doenst have magic powers. I think they should be picky about making the guests signing they read the rules, providing their documents, and informing them this isn’t a hotel. Unless the airbnbers think their house is a hotel, then I’m definitely in the wrong place.

1 Like

The problem I feel about talking to people is they taking what we say wrong and leave a bad review. Don’t you fell the same when you have problems? That you cannot do too much or you can get a bad review?

I’m here on the listing. I’m responsible sure for following the rules and sharing it with my guests. And my guests are responsible for following it too, of course. For exemple, when I rent a car I’m responsible for it. If I break a window, the price of it is not in my contract, but doesn’t mean I don’t need to pay. So who is renting my bedroom needs to be responsible for their own actions too. Also, another exemple, If I leave in Colorado where marijuana is legal and go to visit NYC, I would check the rules before starting using it over there. It’s not because I didn’t know it that I’m not responsible for my actions. And that’s what I’m saying. But seems like airbnb community follows aibnb idea of guest can do everything and host needs to shut up. That’s disappointing. I think It’s not because its not posted all the rules in the listing that the guest is not responsible for it. It’s on the airbnb rules you need to follow the condo rules, if the guest is interested on knowing they can read or even ask before booking. And btw, maybe my mother raised me really wrong, but I don’t need a rule of not making noise sex when I’m in someone’s house.

I used to and it left me feeling very powerless in my own home which I didn’t like. I would try speaking to them in a nice way; hey guys I don’t know if you realised but the walls are thin and we have rules about noise after a certain time. You might get a bad review but these days I feel you could get a bad review no matter what you do. There’s no pleasing some people…

2 Likes

Zandra, you understand me. I used to have another listing that was awesome. Almost a hotel room with a super nice decoration. And even though I had people complaining about stuff that were described, like “we don’t provide shampoo”. Can you believe on it? Would be good if we could at least ask airbnb to analyze bad reviews like those.

The first thing you mentioned is ‘loud sex’ and you - or your neighbours - are going to find that that is a fact of life for an Airbnb host. If you have a room or apartment that sleeps two people, most of your guests will be couples. And, whether you like it or not, some guests will be loud.

I’ve had that situation many times and the only way to deal with it is to talk to the guests. If you’re not on the premises, then your manager should speak to them. Hopefully he or she won’t shirk from the task and be able to deal with it effectively yet politely.

The extra guest however is an issue if you have an extra guest charge. As long as you can prove it then communicate with the guest via the platform and add the extra guest fee there.

No, I don’t think that it is Airbnb’s responsibility to educate adults how to be decent human beings. If there are any problems with guests then it’s the host or their manager who should deal with them.

4 Likes

Well, I don’t understand why you think a huge company cannot take more responsibility on giving guests more rules as they give to us. I also don’t understand why do you think the host has the responsibility to educate adults either. And finally I don’t understand how can you be so ok with being in the guest hand in your own house (talk to them, even in the nicest way, increases big time the chance of you having a bad review). I need to laugh of this, that’s a much better idea. For this I have friends who doesn’t even try to come here to talk, always someone blames who comes here for help.

Well, that is not their business plan. Their business plan is to provide better accommodations at a lower price and sell to as many people as possible.

3 Likes

Man, makes total sense. I’ve never thought about it. If they have more rules they have less people using, which makes less money for them. Genius.

@TomB. There is another way to look at it as well… since AirBNB doesn’t “decree” anything about how guests treat our spaces, we all have the flexibility to set our own rules. As hosts, we have to figure out how to enforce the things that we care about. That is up to us, and the hardest part.

1 Like

Does the Marriott chain of hotels try to educate their guests? Airbnb hosts are providing accommodation in just the same way. I think it’s quite ridiculous to expect that an advertising platform should ‘educate’ either guests or hosts.

Your comment is a little garbled so I’m not quite understanding it. Why would you expect a bad review? I have spoken to guests many times about behaviour I don’t appreciate and that has never resulted in a bad review. It boils down to people skills and your hospitality ability.

So tell me, how did your manager handle the issues?

I think is ridiculous you comparing yourself to Marriot. And you were the one talking about education, wasn’t I. But you got exactly on the point that I’m surprise with this community. Guests come expecting a hotel, not a house where you are using for having a nice place to stay with a more affordable rate. And that’s the reason why they think they can be sex lowed / music lowed / lowed in general, because hosts has been “educating” them to think airbnb is a hotel. And you are creating your own conversation talking about “advertising platform”.I just think if we hosts have so many rules, the guests should have it too, to protect us as well. But now that @smtucker said, it makes sense to me why they don’t create more rules to guests as they create for us.

I think you understood since you answered. I would expect bad review because as @zandra said, you don’t have to have a reason to get one.

@TomB, I think you need to reconsider whether you are suited to being an Airbnb host or a landlord. You need to be prepared to confront and deal with these sort of issues in a calm and diplomatic way. Airbnb is just a platform on which you advertise your listing. You, and only you, are responsible for the way you manage it.

1 Like

About the ‘loud sex noise’ surely this is just a part of life? Do your neighbours have only very quiet sex noise lives? Of course, it’s not very considerate but surely it can’t be so loud to violate some kind of environmental hazard??
On the other hand, it does happen
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/woman-jailed-for-making-loud-sex-noises-10289245.html

Not at all - we are all in the hospitality business.

Many of us here offer accommodation that is superior to hotels.

There you go again with the sex thing - it’s going to happen! You’ll have sheets to deal with that have bodily fluids - it’s all part of hosting. Sorry but true.

1 Like