Lots of help here, so redid my 'House Manual'...ONE PAGE YAAAY! Hope it helps someone

After reading so many ideas, reviews of others’ manuals, I sat and redid my two page down to one of only necessities. Truthfully, some of the old one was just chit chat about this and that thing that I realized was insignificant to the title of ‘house manual’.
My property is a farm on which I live, the cabin is nearby on the farm and is quite quirky, and I attract folks for the most part because that’s what they want and so far, two years, it’s working great 99% of the time. Even tho my property is very unusual, I realized that my two pager ‘manual’ or ‘rules’ were all jumbled up in a disertation of sorts about the cabin, and was always full of things I covered in my personal check in chat with the guests. And it was too ‘conversational’, too wordy, too much ‘please’, and two pages long…geez…I do have a few more ‘rules’ than some because of the type of property it is, and where it’s located. In addition to ‘rules’ I never thought I’d need until a guest did something to make it needed! (the lengthy rule about the outdoor fireplace had to written like this, because you cannot believe what people can do wrong with a simple outdoor fireplace!)
Thought I’d post the final result here. And thank all of those who ‘contributed’ to my new and improved (at least I think it is) version in case it suits some other hosts’ situations and can help some newbies avoid some of the gibberish I had to learn to let go of!

HOUSE MANUAL

WELCOME! 
  1. Important to read through this completely so that you can be comfortable with all the quirks of Little Cabin, as well as operating information and check out procedures.
  2. The cabin grounds around it are yours to enjoy , including the pasture in front of the cabin, and the trail through the valley. Please keep all gates CLOSED if you find them CLOSED. Other pasture areas, farmhouse, and barn areas are only accessible if you have made prior arrangement for me to accompany you, (insurance requirements!) Just contact me and I’ll be happy to arrange a time I can join you, show you around, have you share in my garden produce, and introduce the critters. I really enjoy this, so don’t hesitate to ask!
  3. The front gate is kept closed all the time, so please return it to that position after exiting or entering. The entire property is fenced and gated for both human and animal security.
  4. Do not feed or encourage any of the kitties that may stray your way (they usually do not) as other guests may not welcome their attention.
  5. The thermostat for the water heater located above the toilet is not to be changed.
  6. The gas grill is for your exclusive use. It has an ignitor and a disposable grid cover to keep the grids clean. Use the provided vegetable spray first to avoid sticking. Do NOT use the grill without this cover. Turn off the gas after each use, as these tanks can seep and lose gas.
  7. The outdoor fireplace is yours to enjoy exclusively. You’ll need to provide a starter log and I will provide one night’s wood. Please do not remove the swiveling grate, just pull it out of the way to start your fire and then return it. The wood goes on the floor of the fireplace, NOT on this grate. Do not burn the fireplace with the doors open except to load wood, sparks are deadly in the mountains. There is a claw poker for your use to manipulate the wood as needed.
  8. There is no garbage disposal, dispose of food waste in the metal kitchen can that has a liner.
  9. Garbage is NOT to be left in the cabin. It will attract bugs. There is a large black garbage can outside on the wall near the grill for all your refuse.
  10. Clean and return all dishes, glasses, and utensils to their places before you check out.
  11. If you cook, clean stove top afterwards.
  12. Any visitors MUST be approved prior to coming on the property and I will need to meet them after they arrive. No exceptions.
  13. No parties, events, excessive drinking or inappropriate behavior will be tolerated, this is my home and peace is paramount. ABSOLUTELY no smoking, tobacco use, vaping, of any kind on the property. Ditto on any illegal drugs. No exceptions.
  14. Outdoor music is welcome, especially if you are creating it! It’s extra special here in the mountains!
  15. If you move porch furniture off the porch, return it before you check out.
  16. Pile used towels on the bathroom floor, do not strip the bed as I have a system for it.
  17. If you have any issues or problems with the cabin, notify me immediately so I can correct them.

There is also a wonderful rope swing down in the south pasture in my big old oak tree. Wonderful for relaxing while absorbing the view! You are welcome to use it, but please remember to always close any gates you find closed to keep the animals where they belong.
There is additional information in your welcome folder on many adventures in our beautiful mountains.
Remember, I’m available if you need anything, but I will not intrude into your seclusion or privacy, I’m here to make sure your stay is all you’ve dreamed of and more.

Thank you and thank you for choosing Shadows Drifting Farm!.
Deb

4 Likes

@shadowmnt Deb, nice writing!

1 Like

I like the way you explain the reasons for your rules.
When I’m staying at Airbnbs and need to quickly look something up in the House Manual, I find it useful if the points have headings or if the main word in each point is bold, eg “grounds”, “front gate”, “kitties”.
Also, if you have foreign guests, make sure words work in Translate apps.

2 Likes

Thanks! I have no clue as to the translate and I never have foreign guests that don’t have an excellent command of English. I’ll have to look into it.

I’m so glad for all the tips and help I read here, it definitely pushed me to be more concise and to the point and not so wishy washy… I tend to try and be overly ‘nice’, lol!

Nice! My newspaper graphics background wonders if some subheadings, organization under like topics and typography would be helpful. Let’s see:

HOUSE MANUAL

WELCOME! 

Read through this completely so that you can be comfortable with all the quirks of Little Cabin.

PLEASE DO ENJOY:

1. … THE SURROUNDING GROUNDS, including the pasture in front of the cabin, and the trail through the valley.
  2. … the GAS GRILL, which is for your exclusive use. It has an ignitor and a disposable grid cover to keep the grids clean. Use the provided vegetable spray first to avoid sticking. Do NOT use the grill without this cover. Turn off the gas after each use, as these tanks can seep and lose gas.
  3. … the OUTDOOR FIREPLACE is yours to enjoy exclusively. You’ll need to provide a starter log (buy this on the way, or ??? ) and I will provide one night’s wood. Please do not remove the swiveling grate, just pull it out of the way to start your fire and then return it. The wood goes on the floor of the fireplace, NOT on this grate. Do not burn the fireplace with the doors open except to load wood, sparks are deadly in the mountains. There is a claw poker for your use to manipulate the wood as needed.
  4. OUTDOOR MUSIC is welcome, especially if you are creating it! It’s extra special here in the mountains!

GATES

1. The front gate is kept closed all the time, except while you are exiting or entering.
  2. Please keep all other gates CLOSED if you find them CLOSED.

TOURS
Other pasture areas, farmhouse, and barn areas are only accessible if you have made prior arrangement for me to accompany you, (insurance requirements!) . Just contact me (by text, or ???) and I’ll be happy to arrange a time I can join you, show you around, have you share in my garden produce, and introduce the critters. I really enjoy this, so don’t hesitate to ask!

PLEASE DO NOT:

1. hold parties or events, engage in excessive drinking, smoking, tobacco use, vaping, of any kind on the property. Ditto on any illegal drugs. No exceptions. Tranquility is the rule here.
  2. feed or encourage any of the kitties that may stray your way (they usually do not) as other guests may not welcome their attention.
  3. adjust the thermostat for the water heater located above the toilet. << Ideally lock this up if possible

TRASH, TRASH, TRASH

1. There is no garbage disposal, dispose of food waste in the metal kitchen can that has a liner.
  2. Garbage is NOT to be left in the cabin. It will attract bugs. There is a large black garbage can outside on the wall near the grill for all your refuse.

CLEANING

1. Clean and return all dishes, glasses, and utensils to their places before you check out.
  2. If you cook, clean stove top afterwards.

VISITORS
Any visitors MUST be approved prior to coming on the property and I will need to meet them after they arrive. No exceptions.

CHECKOUT CHECKLIST

1. If you move porch furniture off the porch, return it before you check out.
  2. Pile used towels on the bathroom floor, do not strip the bed as I have a system for it.

ISSUES? PROBLEMS?
Notify me immediately so I can correct them at (provide all means of contact).

4 Likes

thanks! I am going to seriously consider this. Right now I’m brained out, lol!

1 Like

Yep it’s brain resting time!

The content is excellent, the problem is the wall of grey text. Unless it says “free money for you in a treasure chest in the kitchen” << (and in red bold letters 2 inches high), grey text doesn’t get read regardless of the quality of the content.

The relevant tricks are –

• Subheadings

… force thinking about what goes where and is related. Draws the eye to what the reader needs to think about – Check-out, check-in, permitted explorations of the property, etc.

• Bullet points

• Maps instead of text descriptions of areas

• Illustrations, icons, arrows wherever they can usefully replace words.

I have incorporated your format, Puppylover…it works with only MINOR adjustments and I love it. I removed all the ‘please’ words…have learned that over time. and it’s simple. I am not good with the ‘science’ of what might be better, like ‘grey texts’ etc… My old one ‘worked’ 95% of the time but it was beginning to annoy me, lol! Plus I was having to add ‘rules’ based on situations that arose and it was really getting unwieldy… Hope this one works as well! THANKS

1 Like

Good job! The whole purpose is to get this into the heads of the guests, so if the old one worked 95% of the time, that AIN’T BAD. Hopefully this will clean up some of the remaining 5%. Problem being, the expanding pool of guests seems to be moving away from “cool travelers (who can read)” to “the general public (not so much).”

You got that right!! In the beginning, pretty much EVERYONE was cool…now am seeing a few more who literally have no idea where they are…:joy:

The latest Airbnb magazine has a chart based on an extensive survey –

GUEST QUALITY OVER TIME
line-graph_1339575
Source: J.D. Powers and Associates
(j/k)

wow…perhaps it’s because we, as hosts, become more jaded and less tolerant???

imo it’s due to the burgeoning interest in Airbnb, only cool travelers heard of it five years ago, now it’s the general public, and that’s a VERY risky group to have in your standalone accommodation, your house, etc.

That’s why hotel chains have security on site, massive back-office staff – the general public is nuthin’ but trouble.

I also went through old pages of notes, and many I am sure you can find on this forum. It’s stuff I wrote out years ago and waayy too wordy like you say. I just redid some of them on Houfy. I have been sending only my departure checklist, directions, and supplies on Houfy for about a year now. But I now added some other things that are in the house notes. Still more to add though like temperature adjustment, etc. Guests still receive a hard copy lamenated at the house. But it’s good for them to read over. And, then easily share with other group members…

Well, I still think that most of us, especially those with a property similar in atmosphere to mine, attract the type of person who won’t treat it like a hotel customer would. I hope it stays that way. I am a bit too quirky of a place to get too many wack jobs, at least I hope so.
Additionally, a lot of what is important for my guests to know, technically speaking, I go over with them at our meet up and check in. I would NEVER ever do a self check in for a property such as mine, living on the farm with the cabin. I want to MEET these people and IF they make me uncomfortable, or if they start right out breaking rules (happened ONE time) I have them leave.
For those who have self check in, I wish you all well and admire your bravery!

I am the same. I do not have the type of property where guests can just be expected to read a few things and nothing can go wrong. All get checked in and a tour of the electronics, etc. A different property I could see things would be fine, but not this one.

I would change “Please do not” to “Absolutely do not” as it is not a request.

Oooh, I really like your version! So easy to follow.

1 Like

THankee! In one of my newspaper graphics jobs, I had to REALLY study how to present information. Anyone interested in this fascinating topic can catch up with Edward Tufte of Yale – his books are beautiful. This one is overkill for little house manuals, but even so inspiring –

2 Likes

This is interesting. You’ve combined the concept of House Rules and House Manual. The only reason I know anything about anything is because of this and other forums, and I put my stuff together based on suggestions therein. My Rules are posted in my listing and are sort of CYA stuff, and worded in such a way as to discourage ne’er do wells from even considering the place. The House Manual is the operating instructions for the property. I ended up doing a large print version with almost cartoonish graphics (I actually was going to try and make a full-on comic book, I’m serious) to get people to read it and it seems to have worked. It apparently gets read. Most everything is in bullet points with lots of white space (because of my stint at a press camp HQ in the military). I like your idea of distilling everything down, though. Mine is way too long (probably because of the LARGE PRINT). I actually have a notebook to contain it. Hmmmm, must I accept this challenge? I think I must. Can I do one page? Hmmmm. Hmmmm. Doubt it.

1 Like