Lost Superhost ! Ok, maybe not a bad thing

We have been on the platform for four years. Since, back in the day when you would say, “AirBnB”, and they would say “What is that?”; and we live in northern California. So for the first time I cancelled a two night guest, I had forgotten to block it when the contractor was scheduled. I cancelled within an hour of the booking being made. The booking was over a month out, and I apologized.
This was our first cancellation on the host end ever. We have had over 500 guests, 4.8 % 5 star. AirBnb pulled our superhost status.
At first I was really upset. Then about four days later, I noticed a huge uptick in AirBnB bookings. We have always done at least 15 days a month on AirBnb ( we are also on another platform that does at least 10 each month). Since the status taken, solid 28 days on AirBnB for the next 2 months.
So I asked a couple of our guests. They told me that they disregard super host. One guest said they intentionally avoid super hosts, feeling that they may be pickier! All of our guests booked since the loss of status have been clean, respectful and nice. So I am not worried anymore.

10 Likes

Most guests don’t look at superhost status but I like the dedicated help line. I’m curious what kind of contractor will be there? Could you spin this to fit under extenuating circumstances and be reinstated?

It was to repair a plumbing issue. Air help line said since it was not an emergency fix, just cosmetic, would not count. It was over a month out. I was furious. Now I am calm.

2 Likes

If you had forgotten to block the dates for the repair of the plumbing issue, could you not have just rearranged for the plumbing repair to take place at another time? @ranchlife

No, it was more important to have the issue changed than to host for two nights. I have always maintained the attitude that this is my land. I do what I can to make a great place for people to utilize, but you can’t please everyone. AirBnB has changed. They started out being more host friendly, now the computer software controls everything. The customer service rep should have seen that this was my first cancellation, and said no problem, we will disregard.

3 Likes

Ranchlife: Our Airbnb is in Murphys, California (60 miles east of Stockton, along Highway 4).

Where is your Northern California Airbnb, if I may ask?

East of Lodi, South of Lockeford.

Ranchlife: Since your Airbnb is in a very rural area and not that close to a major city, how are you attracting so many guests? Is it the local wineries?

We enjoy the handmade sausages sold at the Lockeford Meat Company!

1 Like

Thank you for your post, @ranchlife! There are many hosts who post here thinking that losing SH status would be a fate worse than death (well, you know what I mean) so it’s lovely to hear from someone who has weathered that particular ‘storm’ and can confirm that being a SH isn’t the be all and end all of hosting life. Businesses survived and prospered before SH existed and will continue to do so when Airbnb is just a fond memory of some old folks :slight_smile:

10 Likes

You mean like rotary phones? Hey the world changed, we still use phones but differently—which is what I think the home rental business will be like in 20 years (still there but operating differently).

1 Like

As it was forty years ago (nearly) when I first started probably. Oh, and then there’s that story of ‘no room at the inn’ - that was a while ago too. Nothing has basically changed that much. - only the way we advertise.

3 Likes

I think because we are cheap, easy and I am so mean to everybody.

5 Likes

When you think about being SH, other than fast assistance and a once a year token, what is it? Most people don’t get it anyway.

Last fall they took the goal to 4.8. Now, why was that? Did they feel like too many people were doing a good job? Is there a problem with too many good hosts? And were Superhosts consulted on this?

Has it ever occurred to anyone that a multi review site with anything over, say, 4.5 sounds pretty darn good?

Here is where someone jumps in and says love it or leave it. Got it. In light of recent events, and the fear of a revenge review without support, how sustainable is it after 100 or more reviews?

3 Likes

My wife and I (really just my wife) is a super host. I book a lot of air bnb when we travel. I really don’t look to see if someone is super host. Just if the rating s are good vs the price range.

If the price is low, I wonder what is wrong with the place. If it is high, I avoid. I look for medium to upper price with a good rating. If they are a super host too- well, ok. But it isn’t a deal breaker.

2 Likes

Just had this conversation with good friend who travels frequently & almost always stays at Airbnb or VRBO properties. That is exactly her criteria too. Great minds-similar paths.

2 Likes

SH might be something some people look at but the vast majority don’t.
In my last 50 bookings only 1 couple from the US mentioned it to me and that they truly thought I was the best superhost which of course was nice to hear but it doesn’t really mean much.

A couple years back I too lost my SH status and at first I became a bit nervous but after a short while since I didn’t see lesser bookings it didn’t bother me anymore.
During the time I even raised prices and was fully booked with great guests, so I experienced too that the missing emblem didn’t affect me if at all.

Now that I’ve been SH for a long time again, the only thing it does, is that it stresses me when once in while I don’t get those 5 stars. Especially when a guest says everything was perfect but since I didn’t have an espresso machine only 4 stars! This stressed me a bit but as you pointed out, it’s not the SH status that matter but the quality of guests you have and the way you feel about hosting.

3 Likes

I think star ratings can be deceiving, for the reasons described above and within this forum.

When I’m evaluating anything (Hotel, YELP restaurant, AMAZON products, etc) I read the reviews to get an overall impression. If they are all positive, great, but if there’s one or two negative that are offset with overall good reviews, then I chalk the negative to:

A) off day (either the user or seller)
B) retaliatory
C) fraud
D) not a good fit for user.
E) disparate expectations (someone is expecting luxury at bargain price)

I go with the consensus rather than the one off and glean, from the content of the reviews, if it’s a good fit (for my criteria).

6 Likes

I agree! I have been terrified to cancel a booking even when it angers my husband that we can’t use our own home!

2 Likes

I too lost my Superhost status over one guest stay. While my overall rating is 4.8, I would have to have those guests’ rating be out of the review period to achieve SH again. Don’t notice any difference in bookings.

2 Likes

I have an espresso maker. However I do not have a particle accellerator. Or a shrubbery.

4 Likes