Looking for nice way to respond to lame inquiry

I think it depends on what type of place you have. If it’s a hotel/B&B type establishment, then I guess it’s fine not to bother too much about who turns up. But if it’s a room in your home with shared spaces and other family members to consider (which is my situation), I think you do need to be circumspect about who you accept. Having said that, I hardly ever decline anyone! I don’t mind putting in the effort to elicit information from potential guests to see if they’ll fit, I see it as part of the business. I’ve only ever declined a few because they were downright unpleasant and demanding in their initial communication. Usually it’s simply a case of explaining that my place is not suitable (too many stairs, room doesn’t fit four people sigh, etc etc) and they just go away, there’s not even a need to decline.

1 Like

Why not? I’m a superhost, and I’ve been told I’m also a great guest.

2 Likes

A lot of hosts have had bad experiences with other hosts as guests (including myself), similar to the “doctors make the worst patients” adage. In fact, I’ve read about a few on here who seem to take pride on leaving truly horrible reviews for other hosts even though everyone else has had a great time at the place. Depressing.

Here are a couple of threads on the subject:

I get that, but I’d hate to think someone wouldn’t accept me as a guest because I’m a superhost. It would take a lot of terrible things for me to leave less than a positive review for another host. My feeling about it is that we’re all in this together.

1 Like

Well, I would never decline anyone without very good reason so you’d be safe with me! I do check the reviews that guests have left for hosts, no matter how long it takes, because that gives a very good indication of what kind of guests they will be. There has been one occasion where I declined a guest because every single one of the reviews they left for other hosts was mean and nitpicky and contrary to all other reviews. Maybe some would have welcomed the challenge to please such a person, but not me. I’ve got better things to do than bend over only to be… insert appropriate profanity… afterwards.

edit: I have been a guest too and always left a good review. They deserved a good review, not just as a matter of course for a fellow host. Any points that I thought could be improved I listed in private feedback and yes, sometimes there were a lot. But I would NEVER leave all those points in a public review, that’s just mean and reflects on the reviewer imo, like those tripadvisor reviews where you immediately imagine some sour-faced pompous know-it-all searching for things to complain about rather than enjoying their holiday. “Imagine my horror when I balanced the chair on the bed, climbed up and ran my finger over the overhead light only to find it was covered in dust!”

3 Likes

There is a way to change that basic prompt and we have a very friendly one in its place. We ask about what brings them to our city, who is traveling with them, and whether they’ve been here before.

2 Likes

I travelled recently and had no problem getting reservations. I had one bad experience with a NY host who turned me down in Summer of 2015 but I’ve realized now that’s not the norm. Just remember that the posts on this board are only a tiny sample of the reality that is airbnb.

1 Like

My thread name is a bit sensationalist but I didn’t mean to imply that we are not grateful for an inquiry or are not understanding when folks are new to Airbnb. As I just mentioned, we have a prompt when guests inquire and we ask three specific questions, one of which this guest answered.

Also, I’ll say in follow up that I did reply to the would-be guest something along the lines that filling out your profile and/or sending an introductory note helps guests and hosts connect. I simultaneously accepted this person’s inquiry. Crickets.

Lastly, there are many resources online about how to book on Airbnb, get your inquiry accepted, etc. or articles about what to do when inquiries keep getting declined. I don’t know about you guys, but I would read up on such things before trying to book on a new-to-me platform. But that’s just how I roll. And knowing that I would be staying at someone’s house, I would automatically send a note to be friendly.

1 Like

That’s funny, @JonYork! I recently had a guest who wrote paragraphs. I was totally suspicious of them! Turned out fine, but I kept wondering “why all the details? what are they trying to hide?”. lol

Why are you so negative to super hosts as guests? I’m a super host, and I have been an Airbnb guest at many places. Every host gave a positive review and all would like to have me bak as a guest.

2 Likes

Well, you will read, above, that it was a super host who asked for a discount (at $200/night divided by three, they would have been spending about $75/night each for my awesome place), and this super host charges a $250 cleaning charge alone for her Air places! Also, I had a super host who booked my place and then asked for a SUBSTANTIAL discount after she booked; I offered to let her cancel, which she didn’t but proceeded to leave me a lousy review (I’ve had over 100 reviews – 99% of which are five stars all the way). I’ve also had one good five-star couple, so you never know. I will accept other hosts, unless they ask for a discount. I always decline anyone who asks for a discount because I will never be able to make them happy once I’ve said no to a cheaper rate. I just did that last night – a “student”, four guests total, who wanted my place for half price and for me to waive the cleaning fee. Again, I looked at the available Airs for their dates and I was at the lower end for a downtown location. Not worth my time (I have other income so I can afford to be picky).

1 Like

I agree. I’m a superhost and I’m a great guest :slight_smile:

I’ve also hosted superhosts who were absolutely brilliant. I think that the answer is that within any group or classification of people, there will be good, bad and mediocre. A superhost guest is no more or no less likely to be acceptable to every host.

3 Likes

Here’s all of your laugh for the day in the form of a lame inquiry I just received:

Inquiry: Hi i was wondering if i could rent your place until 11pm for today only. Its my last day and i need a place to hang out with friends, the only way i would be able to pay you is through V…E…N…M…O is that ok?

My answer: Hi Katherine,

I assume that you are asking to pay off the Airbnb platform. I’m sorry, but we only accept bookings via Airbnb. If you wish to book via Airbnb, please let me know how many friends you intend to bring and I will let you know if your booking is okay.

Yours,

Ellen

Katherine’s reply: the problem is my cards have gotten all messed up and thats the only way i can pay. thank you for your time.

Don’t you hate that? Especially when you want a space to have one last party and then leave the country with no responsibility?

4 Likes

I thought someone might say that about a room in the home :slight_smile:

However when I had the traditional B & B it was the family home. We were lucky enough to have a six bedroom house (four of them were very tiny) but only needed two so we B & B-ed the remaining rooms. Looking back we were probably quite daft because security never even occurred to us!

I have had two hosts stay at my place, one a Super host. They were both the worst PITAs I have had in my first year of hosting. One of them even stole from my place and denied having taken the towels. (Yes, I checked the trash) They were here when they got here as I count EVERYTHING. My bad was leaving out of town for two days towards the end of their stay and by the time I noticed, too bad, past the 48 hour mark.

Also, one is a super host and when they showed up with different people, including a child instead of an adult (I am not child friendly) told me she never read the listing and what did it matter.

No thanks, no more Super or regular hosts, please.

Did you know that they have changed the 48 hour rule now providing there aren’t any guests in between?

No! I did not now that! Thanks so much for letting me know. I learn so darn much more in these forums than I do from Airbnb. Thank you!