Long term rental / checks out but wants to return

Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

We are your AirBnB hosts forum!

robot Greetings!

/

discobot

Oct '18

Thanks for joining We are your AirBnB hosts forum!, and welcome!

• I’m only a robot, but our friendly staff are also here to help if you need to reach a person.
  • For safety reasons, we temporarily limit what new users can do. You’ll gain new abilities (and badges) as we get to know you.
  • We believe in civilized community behavior at all times.

If you’d like to learn more, select :gift: below and :gift: bookmark this personal message . If you do, there may be a :gift: in your future!

• created

Oct '18

• [

last reply

1m
](https://airhostsforum.com/t/greetings/26997/4)

replies

discobot

Michelle_McGuire

Add or Remove …

Michelle_McGuire

Oct '18

Hi there & thanks for the warm welcome!
I’ve been hosting just over a year and I’m always learning how to improve & provide each guest the best possible experience.
Thank you for your help :heartpulse::heartpulse:

3 MONTHS LATER

Michelle_McGuire

[1m](https://airho

Hey crew I have a question please
I took a long term booking for 6 weeks & the employer made the reservation and paid for a couple of his construction crew workers. One of the crew decided that he wasn’t going to stay here and wanted to go somewhere else & after a week they left & I get a message asking for a refund. Thankful that I don’t need to deal with that. I get another message week later, asking that somebody come by so they can take pick something up & I communicate. There’s nothing here to take & that they have checked out. They reply that no they have not checked out & they just want access to the unit. ?
The person communicating with me was not the crew that staying here & is another employee and you can see what my questions going to be do I allow more people to come and go…Am I obligated to have an open house for the next 4 weeks?
I’ve been hosting for a few years with Airbnb and they’re always short-term rentals I haven’t come across this before…Ty for your insight s
New year’s blessings to ALL :heart:

I think your copy and paste skills may need a little work :slight_smile:

But seriously, you have no obligation to anyone. An employer cannot book on behalf of his employees - I believe that is a third-party booking, which violates AirBnB policies **. And you should certainly not let anyone access your property.

I think you may need to contact AirBnB and explain the situation to them. But be aware that they may choose to also invalidate both bookings.

** Update: It seems an employer can book on behalf of an employee - but only for a specific employee who gives them permission to do so. And I don’t think the employer can change the specific employee once the booking is accepted.

1 Like

If the calendar is still blocked for that reservation then I would say that maybe they left but didn’t check out. But if they left and asked for a refund then technically they did. They just did not cancel the reservation so technically could come back during that time, either to get something or to stay. You do NOT need to allow anyone else into the property though. Ideally you tell the inquiring employee that the original employees can come back and look since although they checked out they did not cancel the remainder of their stay. Then encourage them to cancel it if they no longer intend to use it. If you want to offer them to refund a portion based on any new bookings during that 4 weeks to encourage them to do so, feel free. Karma to you on how much, if any, they actually get. However, I would have done this at the initial request for refund. Since you didn’t know to, or just didn’t do it, up to you on whether you want to now or not. Perhaps just let them know you learned of this now. Totally up to you. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide and how it goes.

1 Like

You guyes are fantastic Ty
Yes …I’ve been processing
The booking I agreed to & was happy about ( perfect guyes ) I even offer to buy a TV gave him a cable box called Telus added every available Channel movies and sports for them…as I’m by a beach and I don’t bother with a tv but this was longer-term and these guys were working but they did not stay they left a good week ago. Employer ask for a refund & I kind of just ignored it…but now wants to just stop by and pick something up she communicated as it’s paid for I just don’t want it turning into a body house or people rolling through here because it just doesn’t feel right. Ty much appreciated!

I’m horrid with c/p sorry for such a bad job !

I agree …I’m just fine with the two that came at time of booking they were in work trucks clean cut well mannered & and absolutely have them back in a second…
however I’m not okay with the key code going to whomever now and people just coming and going & I was not sure how to handle it going forward when they left I thought well let’s see how this plays out. I wanted to ask him to cancel to free up my calendar and thought I would give it a week just to see if they returned it’s been a week now & I’ve cleaned.

Then be sure to change the code and suggest they cancel the remainder. Up to you on the refund newly booked nights part.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have just ignored refund request and recommend not doing so in the future. Let them know they are welcome to cancel the remainder and then take up the refund with Airbnb (decline when Airbnb asks you though). If they were nice it’s also up to you if you want to then offer to partially refund based on any future bookings during that time.

1 Like

I have lots of experience renting to workers.
Technically though they asked for refund and left , they are still your guests …if they still didn’t cancell
You never gave them any refund, their check out was not finalised. They might as well go home and return or change their mind and come back and continue us their stay.
But their reservation is still valid. They paid for 6 weeks.
Now…it’s up to you wether you want to continue hosting them .
I would…it’s perfect…they paid and then they are not there . I once had this incident when they reserved for a month and then got transferred and left in a middle.od their stay. But they left all the clothes there and came back 2 weeks later to pick it up.
In short you can’t deny them access to the listing they booked and with active reservation.
About 3rd party booking. In this case I would loosw many very good bookings if I didn’t accept boss’s booking for his employees

True … although the conversation started with them communicating that they were aware that our refund was not available & that too is my understanding also so it was not complely “ignoring” I was just a bit susprised but truthfully who knows what’s really going on …I’ve seen Strange stuff

1 Like

Absolutely I’m wanting to help & usually when people checkout they checkout. So I’m not sure what’s going on & I’m just not wanting to be “nice” and get hoodwinked into this being some sort of strange gathering place & the guyes that checked in are welcome back anytime but I’m not ok with the door code being given out to whomever to stop by & hang out …

Also want to add, I also had incidents when the whole crew changes during couple.month stay. So there was not even one person there who was there during original check in.
But there was always a supervisor who I could contact anytime. Ussualy workers are the best crowd you can have. Some are cleaners than others but there are never any damages and neighbors are never disturbed

I would have required new bookings for new people. For a few reasons. I would get more for shorter stays. I would potentially get more 5 star reviews. I could provide more accurate and timely reviews on the individuals.

I agree I much prefer shorter stays but they worked & no kids or pets so longer was no issue …

Actually @rossh an employer can book on behalf of an employee if they have set up a business account on Airbnb, for just that purpose.

If they haven’t you are right they can’t.

I wouldn’t let someone who is not the person that it was booked for have access. What did she say she needed access to the empty room for to pick up? Offer to meet her at the property with the missing item :slight_smile:

Workers are ussualy are not in dangerous category. So you have contact with their employer or supervisor?
This situation looks very unclear. I would communicate further and see what is actually going on.
My point is that they still legally have this reservation. You can tell them exactly that: I don’t want my code to be given to anyone else rather than those who originally stayed or you can always change the code as often as you wish.

Well she communicated that she wanted to stop by and get something & I replied will they checked out and there’s nothing up there as here so tell me exactly what it is you want. She said well we paid for the unit and we want access…not sure who "we"s but sounds shady

Right, I’m just fine with who was here but no it’s not ok to have whoever show up
Ty

Why she even let you know that she needs access. She could just go there and open the door since she had a code and reservation still active

She’s never been here before & the guests have checked out a week ago & she could try but unsuccessfully