Long stay guests

This is the worst. I used to leave a basket with fresh eggs and a note about how they were laid by chickens with names (from my flock) and then I realized they almost always cooked them up with bacon on check out day. No more eggs for guests.

RR

2 Likes

But it’s BACON! Isn’t there some kind of frying bacon forgiveness program?

2 Likes

A friend brought me some of her homemade lasagna yesterday in exchange for me fixing the broken zipper and ripped seam on her dog bed cover. I heated it up in the morning’s bacon grease in the pan I hadn’t washed yet and man, was it good.

I was vegetarian for many years back in my 20s, then took a trip to Mexico, where in those days you’d basically starve if you didn’t eat meat ( there’s lots of meatless options now in restaurants in touristy places), so I started eating it again and never went back to being vegetarian. I actually feel better with meat in my diet, but I know for some people it’s the opposite.

But I eat lots of vegetables, too. Been eating out of my garden that I seeded on New Year’s, and haven’t had to purchase any veggies at all aside from onions, garlic and potatoes, which I don’t grow, for the last month and a half.

1 Like

Interesting as my BFhas recently taken to cooking asparagus, Brussels sprouts and broccoli WITH bacon, or at least bacon grease. Then tops it with cheese. All tastes wonderful.

1 Like

They don’t. It’s an easily missable line at the bottom of listing.

Alternatively, steam them. I hate both, but cook them regularly for OH or friends and the little baby sprouts get five mins, with small broccoli florets slightly less, in an electric steamer. larger ones, a bit longer. Dead easy.

For a vegetarian, Jerez is still difficult. Main courses and many tapas revolve around meat and fish, with the vegetarian options being very similar in most places, essentially the same traditional vegetable or pulse based dishes of this region. That means there isn’t really a great variation from restaurant to restaurant.

I only know of one vegetarian restaurant here, and in the opinion of a vegetarian friend who tried it, it’s food is both overpriced and unimaginative. Living here full time, he really struggles to find much variety when eating out.

We tried to do an eating out guide, for vegetarian and vegan food. Spent ages working on it trying to give folks a decent choice, at a variety of price points. Had a guest from Holland over for a week with her mother, who was vegetarian, and she was happy to give us some feedback on it.

Complete disaster. So many places simply don’t get the concept of not eating meat, or meat based products. She found many of the vegetarian dishes advertised in the menus simply weren’t available, while some she suspected were just standard dishes, with the meaty bits hooked out. The only places to get pass marks were higher end restaurants, used to catering for foreigners.

Her feedback, while disappointing, was constructive. We now say to guests who are vegetarian that it’s difficult here, and point them towards the few places we know will cater to them. Fortunately, most folks are only here for a few days so the repetitiveness of the traditional tapas isn’t a major issue.

JF

I have never had a deposit before but if I offered kitchen privileges I would definitely have one. I allowed one of my rare long term guests, who cooked every greasy thing on high heat, to have kitchen privileges in our shared kitchen. I didn’t foresee that he would cook absolutely every meal there. I don’t have a strong kitchen fan and now need to clean and paint the ceiling! I was a little envious that he was a better cook than I am, lol.

1 Like

Sounds like the bacon I’ve been ordering online from Neuske’s for 10 years. Best bacon I have ever found.

1 Like

Can we please stop talking about bacon.

It’s not funny any more.

:cry:

JF

1 Like

Bacon GoFundMe for JF! What do we have to hide it in to smuggle it to you?

When I was a student doing a year in Spain, la senora insisted on putting some homemade sausages in a box I was sending home to my family with gifts.
It never made it past U.S. Customs, was sent back, and for all I know has languished in the Madrid central post office for 42 years.

2 Likes

I know where the bacon is. I just can’t get there right now. I can’t even travel to M’s butcher shop, which is 30/40mins away.

Brexit appears to have energised Spanish customs, our daughter sent (from Amazon UK) a pair of earrings to OH last week. They were actually despatched from The Netherlands, and when they arrived they’d been opened and resealed for “Customs Check”. So, I imagine they’ve probably got a “bacon dog”, checking packages for illicit smoked back bacon!

There is however a silver lining, OH has agreed that the smoker I’d been planning to build, in a corner of our terrace, is now a goer. Around two cubic meters with the ability to either hot or cold smoke, many of the immigrants here are already placing orders :grinning:

JF

3 Likes

I hear you similar but different.

The processing facility that “handled” dad’s cows had a tiny but busy family run butcher shop at one end. They made their own country sausage (Raw, spiced, ground, not encased) & liver pudding (finely ground liver, corn meal & spices)

With Covid running rampant through meat processing plants they made the decision to focus on doing the core business safely. That meant having as few people who may be carriers on premises as possible so they shuttered the retail market.

The vaccine is now available to essential workers in my area so I’m hopeful the retail will reopen soon.

There is a spray product called Ozium that works great. And Bad Air Sponges can be useful for a more ongoing solution.

1 Like

I had a Seattle host whose house rule included no pork, including sausage, bacon, or ham could be cooked or eaten in the rental. I actually prefer to try local breakfast places so it wasn’t a problem.

Need a mask?

3 Likes