Located ON a freeway?

So I got a mostly good review from a person who stayed last week except for this:

The only downside is that it’s located on a freeway, so the walk into town is a bit rougher than we expected because there aren’t sidewalks. 4 stars for location 5 overall.

The closest freeway is 25 miles away. The cabin is on a 2 lane state highway, it is not even close to a freeway in regards to the amount of traffic, number of traffic lanes or anything else.

I do not think I can get this removed because you know, guest experience…

I was thinking of a short response:

The closest freeway is 25 miles away.

OR

There are no freeways in Idyllwild.

Idk, its really a potential downer if future guests think my cabin is on a non existent freeway.

Ugh

RR

So the relevance issue could hang on this:

Content that refers to circumstances entirely outside of another’s control

Hmmm

Worth a shot I guess.

RR

1 Like

The salient point is that walking to town is difficult because it’s along a highway and there are no sidewalks. That’s good information to know for some guests. These guests simply lack vocabulary. Maybe they think any highway without tolls is a “free” way. In some parts of the country people use the term freeway and some use interstate and some have toll roads and some don’t.

3 Likes

Yes I do get that, when it snows walking to town is hard because the snow is piled up where normally you would walk.

But this is out of my control…

Content that refers to circumstances entirely outside of another’s control

I just need to let it go, it sucks though because it is not even in context, if she had written that the snow berms made it harder to walk to town it would have been more relevant. Now people are going to think it is not walkable and that’s not the case.

RR

Yeah, if you look at the mediation guidelines again you’ll see that if the review contains relevant info together with irrelevant, it will stay.

BTW, this new policy must be costing them a fortune with hosts now eager to challenge many more reviews.

You know that I’m going to agree with that. :slight_smile:

Over the years I have conflicting reviews, sometimes one after the other like this:

Review one - ‘you need a car to stay here as it’s not walkable to anywhere’. (The nearest store is a ten minute walk and a half hour amble takes you to the beach or some of the best restaurants, shops and galleries in town, actually).

Review two - ‘this is a great place to stay if you don’t have a car because it’s so easy to walk to everywhere.’

People… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Ok, so I just went in and responded to all the reviews that I could still respond to, nice stuff thanks for staying that sort of thing so if I respond to this one it will not be the only one.

Considering this:

We are glad you enjoyed the cabin! Just to be clear though there are no freeways in Idyllwild. When it snows the road can be hard to walk because the snowplows pile the snow along the sides of the road so future guests may want to keep that in mind.
Thanks Again

RR

6 Likes

The guest probably meant highway. My house is on a lagoon and guests on reviews have referred to it as a bay or river. Don’t stress over it, it was still a 5 star overall.

Done, I am over it. I responded to the most recent reviews so all the reviews on the first page are responded to and responded to this one as I wrote above.

We are glad you enjoyed the cabin! Just to be clear though there are no freeways in Idyllwild. When it snows the road can be hard to walk because the snowplows pile the snow along the sides of the road so future guests may want to keep that in mind.
Thanks Again

RR

4 Likes

I use the terms freeway and highway interchangeably. We are on a 2 lane Ranch Road only a mile from town. I walk it all the time, but I put a disclaimer in the ‘getting around’ part to warn people a car is required and it is not pedestrian friendly. It crosses a river with no shoulder so for a few feet I have to walk in the traffic lane. I have no hesitation doing it but would never recommend it. You can’t get here without a car, but I don’t want anyone’s kids deciding to walk to the library like I do when I need to send faxes lol.

2 Likes

If you can’t let it go, I’d suggest making it a little friendlier, as this will reflect more on you for your future guests.

We are glad you enjoyed the cabin!

As described in the listing, the cabin is in a rural location, and while it is not near any freeway, access to the cabin is via a local highway. This time of year, the snow piles along the highway make it more challenging to walk to town.

Thank you for your stay.

3 Likes

@RiverRock I don’t think most people know (or care) about the difference between a freeway and a highway or expressway. However, the concern expressed that walking on the side of the road is difficult seems to be accurate, right?

1 Like

I think the key point is regarding accessibility; that during certain times of the year walking and biking is not advisable

No one walks (or should be walking) along a freeway ever. Walking along or biking along a highway is not unusual (depending on the type of highway)

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-parkway-freeway-and-highway

I have to respectfully disagree. If I saw “on a freeway” in a review, I would never book the place. I picture six lanes of traffic! A state highway means something entirely different to me.

4 Likes

100%.

Nobody wants to visit a freeway. That makes me think of this, which is not a place I’d book a cabin.

But plenty of people come up north for the M-22 color tour, which is a Highway. Poor choice of wording by the guest, but her point about walking along a highway with reduced shoulders due to snow is a good one.

6 Likes