Locals wanting to rent

Your regular full time price is $45 a night? I sure would not be offering any kind of discount on that amount!

3 Likes

You did the perfect thing, we love to travel in an RV but for a week or so, love an airstream

1 Like

Yes, it is only a bit lower than others around me. Once I get some reviews, it will go up.

2 Likes

I have a vintage Travel Trailer that I am just starting to rent, as well. (Although I have rented my cottage for six years.) And I can tell you I already had to turn down a few folk who want to have long stays and are clearly down on their luck. I have a three night maximum and frankly, I think that is too long. You received AWESOME advice from everyone on this thread. Do NOT rent long term.

3 Likes

Raise your rate a tiny bit maybe to $50 a night. Just psychological! 50 sounds more appropriate and makes you look less desperate. Low rates suggest neediness.

3 Likes

I did list it as an RV/Camper in the AB&B formatting. It doesn’t really show up any different in the listing though. And it just didn’t sound right to say “Country Guest RV”… because I think some people don’t really know what they are. I do think it is obvious though in the pictures.

I think it is great advice to say “for vacationers” or something similar in your listing. I am really against AirBnB being used as a platform for locals to find housing in their own city and long-term visitors using it to find month-to-month housing. As I soon learned from reading this forum, AirBnB allows prospective tenants to by-pass a background check, sizable deposit, and last month’s rent, which may be why there are instances of squatters using the platform.

1 Like

in Air’s own words: They warn about this:

All the advice here is excellent. I would only add that the down and out types have probably exhausted all their efforts to find housing legitimately. That is, they have terrible credit, judgments against them from previous landlords, bad references and not enough money for real world housing deposits. I would ask the purpose of their trip and turn down anyone who doesn’t have a really good, verifiable story. For example, Sarah says she has guests who are waiting for a home to close. That’s ok as long as they can provide back up and proof.

You don’t want renters over 30 days, but even shorter term ones can squat and claim they have a right to be there. The police may or may not be able to help you evict them.

See the threads here about Airbnb squatters. A complete nightmare!

If you haven’t already, add a security and cleaning and a strict cancellation. Then raise the price. Mention your place is best suited for vacationers. You could even try stating that you don’t rent to locals or people in between housing. That should go far to attract the right kind of guest.

3 Likes

That’s a super cute listing, @Cindy. I’d love to stay there with my family! Good luck, and follow your instincts - ‘just say no’.

1 Like

“These situations are incredibly rare, but if they happen, we’ll work with you to try and help resolve the problem with your guest. Should you face such a situation, let our 24/7 support team know as soon as possible and we’ll get in touch with you.”

Doesn’t sound like AirBnB is actually helping those who get squatters, if the horror story posted here a few weeks ago is an indicator. I never heard how that was resolved.

2 Likes

you are basically on your own if they squat.

That is what I learned here! Shame on Air for suggesting otherwise on the link you provided.

1 Like

They are running to catch up with their business model and constantly putting out fires.

1 Like

I would agreed with what the others are saying.

Also just another point to add RV is entirely American. They are called camper vans in the UK (& new Zealand & australia).

As a matter of interest what’s the difference between a RV and Winnebago?

I often wonder how many Airbnb employees actually “do” Airbnb. My guess: not many.

Thanks for the info, Kirsty. I would love to have some international guests, so I can add that in. RV stands for Recreational Vehicle and covers everything that you can use as a house on wheels, towable or motorized (travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes). Winnebago is a brand name of motorhome.

Most international travelers know what an RV is. In France they call them camping cars. Your pictures will show them what’s included.

1 Like