Living at the house - but guests seem to feel that everything should be model perfect

This is the amount of stuff and chaos you would be overwhelmed with in my house,

The dining room as guests enter the sliding glass doors
The only difference before yesterday was instead of having the one table in the center of the dining room, I had the table pushed against the one wall and another table pushed against the other wall (either side of the former kitchen cabinet).

The dining room as it looks from the kitchen

The kitchen as viewed from the dining room

The living room as viewed from the kitchen

The living room as viewed from the stairs leading upstairs.

Louise - if I have guests who are going to the beach after they ā€œcheck-outā€ I offer to allow them to even come back to shower. I had two groups take me up on that offer - one was from Germany and they were very thankful because they were able to shower before having to go to the airport to catch their plane. They had late flights and actually didnā€™t have to leave for the airport until 6:00pm, and they wanted to spend the day at the beach. I try to be accommodating to people and I know being covered in salt and sand would be no fun on a long car or plane ride home.

1 Like

In these photos the only clear surface (including the top of the refrigerator) I see is a portion of the dining room table. Yes, it looks chaotic and cluttered to me. That is not a judgement. It is just a statement that our views on clutter differ. If your guests are telling you that your place is cluttered in their view I recommend that you head them off at the pass. Here is a link to my listing.

2 Likes

First timers often seem to think it should be just like staying at a hotel. I have a very good bed in the room that I rent out. One gal said, ā€˜the bed comfort was good, but not fabulousā€™ !!

I guess if you donā€™t want anything on a table or a counter top - then why bother having it? It is wasted space if it isnā€™t holding something. So I agree - our views differ on what chaotic and cluttered means and as has been said - it a subjective thing. 99% of peopleā€™s homes I go into have stuff on the refrigerator and counter tops. And since these are the areas where I live - this area is going to be convenient for me and for what I need the space for.

Most people actually do say the place is clean - I am just trying to downplay those peopleā€™s expectations who think they are walking into a never lived in model home, with the drapes nicely ironed and one that was staged by an interior decorator.

This is my listing which concentrates on what the guests are actually renting and using when they stay here.

iā€™m sorry, and I know this is just meā€¦but I would not find your space comfortableā€¦there is too much stuff in your listingā€¦I would feel that there is no where for me to beā€¦

4 Likes

You could just add a line about things being homey and/or ā€œlived inā€ and advise guests not to expect it to be the Four Seasons. I write that if they are after fancy they are in the wrong place. But you know, it still doesnā€™t stop the comments and demotions on stars. The house looks good to me. The kitchen looks lived in and fine. The living room with the aquarium? That room does look a bit cluttered. Iā€™m not trying to insult you, itā€™s just based on these photos. Are the laptops always like that? It does not look that inviting to sit in. Just being honest.

You canā€™t please em all. It is what it is!

3 Likes

I never said your place isnā€™t clean. To me, dirt and clutter are two very different things.

I love clear tables and countertops. I donā€™t like to have to clear the countertop when I want to cook or clear the table when I want to eat or work. Also, I donā€™t see where your guests can put their things down.

1 Like

You arenā€™t in those areas - so I donā€™t know why you would find there is no place for you to be - since I donā€™t offer the living room, kitchen or dining rooms to guests. It would obviously not be for you is you needed those things.

People arenā€™t invited to sit in the living room - so it shouldnā€™t be welcoming to them to hang out there. It is why it isnā€™t listed in my listing as being part the guests access nor are photos of it included in the listing, other than the stairs leading upstairs. The laptops are always there - because this is the most comfortable place for me to work since I am a web developer and I get to have the TV on if I want to.

So you mean they are commenting on areas that are not guest accessible? If so thatā€™s wrong.

1 Like

They put their things down in the bedroom. This area IS NOT available for guests - so they canā€™t put their things down here. Right from the beginning I said - this area is just where they walk to get to their rooms and IS NOT utilized by the guests.

I will let people use the dining room table on a case by case basis - but the dining room is not listed. The kitchen is NOT listed, although I allow guests to use the microwave, put leftovers or drinks in the refrigerator and use the coffee maker.

Yeah - that is what my problem is - they are complaining about things they merely walk through when I LIVE here and they do not utilize these areas other than to get from point A to point B. They arenā€™t publically complaining though - they just mention it in the private feedback and say ā€œkitchen and living room could be cleanerā€. Yeah - they could be and they WOULD be if I was allowing guests to actually use them.

1 Like

Your tactfulness is so refreshing. :wink:

2 Likes

And they NEVER complain about the room or the bathroom needing to be cleaner which are the ONLY two rooms that are actually fully available to them.

1 Like

I hope you mean that in a good way! :rofl:

1 Like

Try just editing your description up front using what you told us here. Exactly as you told us here.

Be really really up front, but sadly even if you are it wonā€™t stop them from judging.

I think whatever people see, their sightline, whether it is their area or not, affects their perception of the entire space. Obviously if guests see what you think as not clutter as clutter, then you might need to listen to them. I hate to see a place filled with clutter. I see the bottom of the stairs with things impeding the walking area, things piled on every surface in the kitchen. Obviously you see something different

3 Likes

Yeah - I see cups and glasses and salt and pepper and sugar and olive oils and different kinds of vinegar and cookbooks on the kitchen counter, along with my dogs snacks. and of course the coffee maker, microwave and deep fryer.

Also as I said - and I explain to EVERYONE - my kitchen is being remodeled and I lost one whole cabinet in the kitchen which held my glasses, cups, plates and bowls.

As for the living room - there is nothing impeding the walking area at all - so not sure what you see there.

1 Like

hmmmā€¦ I see a small step stool on one side, and a picture frame (?) leaning on the stair railing. You face it when you sit at your computer. I also see a dusting nightmare of things all over every surface.

We are all trying to help, and I am a little concerned that you are so resistant to seeing what your guests and the hosts here see.

1 Like