Listing paused complaint about security camera

I’m pro bike too although these days my cycling is done on an exercise bike. :slight_smile:

I allow bikes inside (In the downstairs rental, people have never asked to lug their bikes upstairs) and because the terrain here is as flat as a pancake, we have lots of guests who bring their bikes.

Although we have a lockable laundry/storage room where bikes can be kept, a lot of people prefer to have their expensive bikes in the apartment as sometimes the storage room is accidentally left unlocked.

No damage has been caused by bikes ever. And I do wonder whether the fact that we allow bikes inside is one reason why many of our biking guests are repeat visitors year after year. So for me it’s just common sense to allow bikes.

If I see guests taking bikes inside, I take them some old towels to cover the floor. For guests who ask first I say “sure, no problem. I’ll get you some old towels for the floor.” For repeat bike guests I point out the towels at house tour time.

Doing these things are no hassle but having a no bikes inside house rule and trying to enforce it certainly could be and I prefer the easier option.

OP’s house, OP’s rules…

That said, having read about so many hosts on here, and the various “house rules” they have, it makes me realise how laid back we are about shit.

My mantra, there’s bugger all a guest can do that can’t be cured by a few Olorosos :wine_glass:

:blush:

JF

3 Likes

Please stop going on about a house rule the post is about retaliation causing a listing to be paused.

The problem has been fixed and I suggest everyone else with cameras follow this advice.

You must list each camera and what it is looking at.
And write “There are # security cameras all of them record 24/7 for security purposes. There is no camera in private area or inside bedroom, only common area.

These cameras were already disclosed in the listing however guest made a false accusation saying the camera was looking into bedroom. This is not true and a camera view was able to be proved. This took several days as case manager unavailable and they note that despite being cleared of wrong doing there is a note on file.

It only takes one vindictive guest to destroy your reputation as apparently Hosts are guilty until proven innocent.

Have you seen the new way your listing must mention cameras and their locations?

Yes I have but this came from the safety team of AirBnb and they insisted it was written exactly how they requested. As mentioned the cameras were listed and noted as switched on however they want these words specifically. Just cover yourselves.

Glad to hear that, thanks for updating us.

RR

For the record, you should carry luggage up the stairs. No one has ever rolled luggage up my stairs. They aren’t in particularly good shape so it’s not about damage for me, but it would be a huge disturbance to everyone else in the building. I haven’t had anyone that clueless stay here. Besides, it’s just easier to carry it.

1 Like

I agree, but by the condition of the 8 redwood steps into my cabin tells me that some guests drag luggage up the steps.

When I built my second cabin I used composite decking and stair treads on the stairs inside and outside. They really look good, mop up nicely and do not get dinged up.

RR

This comment isn’t directed at you @Debster…but how stupid! Why did we just have to check a bunch of boxes with these exact instructions as follows (& no instruction about saying what the camera is looking at):

What’s the location of all security cameras and audio recording devices?

Describe each device, its location, and if it will be on or off.

x No devices are located in private spaces like bedrooms or bathrooms <--------!!!

x No devices are located in a room that’s listed as a sleeping area

x No devices are concealed or hidden from view <--------!!! Like a bedroom window!

x No devices are aimed at or capable of recording a private space

We get CS reps who tell us what they think like it’s AirBnB gospel/policy…until you talk to the next one who tells you something different. What they told you to write is completely redundant minus the “what it is looking at” and if it’s that important it should be in the instructions on the website for us all to see/comply.

And just because you (or I ) wrote it, doesn’t make it any more true than checking the boxes does. You had to prove it true with your picture evidence.

It’s their “guilty until proven innocent” policy that is the issue.

3 Likes

First - very sorry for what you were put through. Stuff like this is why many of us record guest contact info after each booking. If we are suspended, at least we can possibly rebook them directly.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the big camera info update! You are super.
We did disclose cameras but did not know about the checkboxes, and updated our language also. One can’t be too careful.
Regardless, we do not expect this to prevent a suspension if any Guest complained. Air’s process seems “suspend first and look into it after a host fights back”.

1 Like

Very clever. Certainly not cheap but love the long-term planning.

1 Like

Thanks! I had mine listed in several places on the listing but didn’t know about the expanded requirements so I’ve updated to be in compliance.

1 Like

Neither are oak stair treads…

I love them, they are durable and look great.

RR