Libelled by accusation of "rats"

Just curious, do you feed her as well so the rats are extra or does she depend on them?

ETA: never mind. I saw your next post.

I know- it’s disgusting and creeps me out every time. And of course the cat leaves them right at the outside entrance to my kitchen, so I’ll be sure to notice what a good mouser she is.

1 Like

Better than hiding it under a difficult to access deck or porch to stink up the place…

I use one of those things (I have no idea what they are called) that janitors use - sort of like a dustpan on a stick? I flip the bodies into there with another thing on a long stick (a hoe or something) then flip the body into the canal. I’ve become quite good at it. :blush:

What is it with all this disposal of dead animal bodies in the canal??? That can’t be good can it? Why not but it or trash it for it to be buried in a landfill?

No, it’s fine. There are all sorts of birds, fish and animals that will eat them. (Gross but true). They don’t float but sink and can decompose more quickly in the flowing water than in the air.

Because they carry all sorts of nastiness, bacteria and so on, they will start to smell very soon if they’re put into the garbage, even if in a container in the trash. Remember, this is in Florida and the trash is only emptied once a week - things get very stinky very quickly. And the bacteria can be dangerous.

There are official rat disposal people who will get rid of the bodies (for a fee) but life being the way it is, I’m likely to find one two minutes before a guest arrives. It’s not a good look in a host, rat disposal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok. I guess I hadn’t realized the canal had such a current…

And it flows into the ocean in about a mile.

Yes, the dustpan with the long handle- that’s what I have and use. It’s pushing the dead thing onto the pan with a stick or whatever that makes me shudder.
I have a large empty jungled lot above me, which I walk to the far end of and toss as far as I can into the undergrowth. There are plenty of lizards, snakes, and small mammals which will gobble them up in short order.

1 Like

Ah, right. You southern southerners… :wink:

2 Likes

In that case not burying doesn’t effect the human habitats either.

AFAIK malice is not an ingredient that needs to be proven. False and damaging are.

For purely selfish reasons I’d love to see what happens when you attempt to sue a guest for libel. It’s really hard to imagine a guest seeing mice, you admitting there are mice, the guest calling it a rat, you suing and then a judge or jury says your business has been harmed by the misidentification of the vermin and you winning the case. But if we could do that successfully we could solve the problem of bad reviews from guests.

6 Likes

Lol. I just want to be at the trial!!

Witness: It was a rat.
Defendant: No. It was a mouse.
Attorney: Argumentative.
Judge: Continue

And on and on and on and on…

2 Likes

If he saw a rat he’d have run out straight away. That’s what most sane self regarding people would do.

FTFY…

2 Likes

absolutely! when in the first world, ppl expect first world living conditions.

I think I’m both sane and self regarding and I would not have run out. (You’re probably joking?)

When I see a rat or any other living thing I’m usually interested to get a closer look. I’m most cautious in the western US if I see a coiled snake since I assume it’s a rattler poised to strike. The only place I’ve ever seen rats live and in the wild is the New York City subway system. Both mice and rats are very cute and I wouldn’t run from either. I’d like my Airbnb host to keep them out of my accomodations if at all possible.

5 Likes

Personally I detest those pests. So I wouldn’t blame a guest getting freaked out over them. But it really riled me to be falsely accused.
A rat imo is a lot more serious concern than a mouse.

1 Like

In summation, you argued over a bill, and may have vermin on the property. Hence the review.

1 Like