LESSON LEARNED: "Can I come see it before I book?"

I can’t be the only one who wants you to post a picture of these carved doors! Please.

8 Likes

Yes. If I have a guest, no indoor preview but I’ll gladly give the gate code so they can preview the neighborhood & see docks, pools, etc.

If no one is staying in the unit, I’m happy to let them see it.

This is a separate full home rental, not a room in a home.

The preview backfired one time—in May Sylvia booked a month stay in September. July she cancelled the stay. She liked the neighborhood so much, she purchased a condo!

2 Likes

I’m 45 and guessing they’re mid-50s, yep!

Well, I can help with that! They’re matched doors – you can see one of them on the left of this image. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Super helpful language here. Thank you!

Totally agree that every host has to set their own comfort level with this. Never say never, yes, but since this is a nice side income that we enjoy at times when our guest space is otherwise vacant, and not our primary income, I think I’m unlikely to give tours/access at least for a while. This left a really weird taste for me – I felt lied to and a little scammed, you know? But if I were planning an event like a wedding, I would absolutely want to tour a space first. Happily, we’re too small for weddings or events!

Where is this rental and when did you say it would be available for booking?

:heart_eyes:

4 Likes

So pretty! Is this the under-construction pic? If yes, I can’t wait to see it finished.

1 Like

Ha! We’re in Bellingham, Washington – about 15 minutes from the northwest border with Canada.

As noted, the space is under construction (we’re bringing it into alignment with city code for STRs and adding a main floor bath/updating the kitchen), but we’re about a week out from completion and will be open in October!

Our listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25817360?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=8171863a-068e-48bd-afee-d8cec460bc17

(One unrelated note: I’m using Wheelhouse for pricing and it seems … aggressive; AirDNA suggested rates between what I thought was reasonable – $150/weekdays, $180 weekends – and the Wheelhouse pricing that goes into the $200s. For a new listing, would y’all stick with this or drop the prices?)

Thanks! This part of the space won’t change at all (we’re sealing the floors, but that’s it); the room to the right is changing a bit. I haven’t noticed a “show us your photos” thread, but maybe I’ll start one – I’d love to see everyone’s before/during/afters.

1 Like

I think it is automatic, Airbnb will promote a new listing with a discounted pricing 20% less than you charge. You will be paid based on your intended rate. The guest receives a discount.

I’ll try to find a link to the details

1 Like

Beautiful! Thanks so much!

Beautiful and bookmarked.

We periodically have had one and some of us link our listings often. I don’t have a before and after handy but I went from a guest bedroom in my home to remodeling to create a separate space with an ensuite.

Here’s a pic right after the addition to make a separate entrance and a link to my listing now.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2835502?

4 Likes

I think it has changed. There’s been so many new Airbnb listings and with the public stock, I can see it being too expensive to continue

The host must select/opt into the discount for their 1st 3 bookings and will be paid based upon the discounted price.

Been in Bellingham long? I had a good friend that I did construction with that moved from Seattle to B’ham, oh probably before 1985.
Your place looks lovely.

I believe you can turn this “new listing” discount off if you want. I know I did back when I started out. There are enough crazies trying to take advantage of new hosts/listings without discounting them to do so.

@GuideCottage Listing looks lovely. I would keep prices to the higher end (see above reasons), turn off IB and limit stays to a week or less starting out. You’ll do great!

2 Likes

When I started at this location, I did offer a couple firsts a discount. Then, I got a week booking with 15% discount that there is no way I authorized that. I fixed that discount and cut off other initial discounts on bookings.

Love this space! That bedspread is gorgeous.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been here since 2018, but my husband lived here for most of a decade before we met – and this is (we expect) our forever place after a lot of rambling around in our 20s and 30s.

Thanks! The advice here (and elsewhere) to trust that your space has real value really resonates with me – Bellingham’s a tough place to find a good hotel (a LOT of dicey no-tell motels, though) and it’s even harder for folks with pets. We think that having a full kitchen, washer/dryer set-up and pet-friendly policies without extra fees make us a good value, even at a higher price point. FINGERS FIRMLY CROSSED on that assumption, though.

2 Likes