Legal to airbnb if "no sublet" clause in lease?

Technically, that is true here as well, but the landlords rely on the fact that students come and go and small claims court requires that they return for the court appearance from wherever they have moved.

And you still need to recover, which is all on the former tenant.

Iā€™ve always been improper :blush:

I would advise anyone renting an apartment to take photos of damage upon moving in, just like you would renting a carā€¦ you know how they have you walk around the car,noting damage before you drive away?

1 Like

Do you know how hard that was back then? Plus this was before date stamping on photos was standard. And I am not sure how you would photograph a toilet that doesnā€™t drain without leaking into a locked basement space? Another lifetimeā€¦ thank goodness.

I donā€™t know the rates in NYC, but in Georgia I can file myself and it costs me -$ 100 for dispossessory. And if sheā€™s already moved out, then it wonā€™t get contested and thereā€™s no reason for the landlord to have to hire an attorney. I absolutely do it, when a tenant puts me in a bad spot and just moved out or were to do something like this.

1 Like

This is the Hawaii state judiciary site where you can look up if actions have been filed for eviction. Super useful for looking up people who might want to rent LTR. I am sure most states have something similar.

http://hoohiki.courts.hawaii.gov/

So, you would waste $100 to evict someone that has already moved our, is current with the rent, and only broke a ā€˜no sublettingā€™ clause? You couldnā€™t do that in California, you would have to give a 3-day notice to quit or vacate, and if they ā€˜remediedā€™ your complaint, you have no grounds to pursue eviction. You could pursue $$$ damages if there were any.

Yes I would. Just because the tenant has moved outā€¦thereā€™s no guarantee that the airbnb moves out or breaks anything or hurts himself and sues me. The minute Iā€™d find out that a tenant subleases to airbnb i would give a 1 day cure or quit notice and if those people are still thete Iā€™d file dispossessory and also contact airbnb about that tenant.

What you think is just some little thing can turn into a major problem and the person i trusted and turned some very expensive real estatw over to is in the wind and doesnā€™t care what happens, since sheā€™s already not expecting to get her deposit back.

1 Like