Leaving the country - advice / best guess / hunches

I don’t know a huge amount about this but have a NZ-native friend that lives here in the states now and he is planning to retire in Costa Rica. He travels there a couple times a year and is a part of an ex-pat FB page researching permanent citizenship and home ownership. I know, different location but he is in love with the people and lifestyle there. Might help to check something in that direction for research? Good luck and best wishes!

1 Like

I pretty much agree with all you’ve said. However, the part about having to pay more because you’re a foreigner I don’t think it necessarily true, once you find your way around, get the lowdown on what things should actually cost, and be happy to live in modest accommodation, rather than first-world type housing with all the bells and whistles. Living in Mexico, I certainly pay the same price for groceries, gas, utilities, stuff at the hardware store, i.e. daily living expenses, as a Mexican does. Those prices are set for everyone- they aren’t something you can bargain over.

Now if you have food tastes that mean that you are going to be wanting expensive imported food items, of course you are going to be spendng more than a local would. If you can’t live without AC, as opposed to just some good fans, then your electric bill is going to be higher. And if you settle in an area which is quite touristy and has a large ex-pat community, prices in general are going to be quite a bit higher than they would be if you lived in some little village where you were the only foreigner.

As far as Mexico goes, land ownership can be higher for a foreigner if the land is within 50 kms of the coast. In that case, you need to put the property into a bank trust, which has an initial cost of maybe $10,000, then you pay $500/year admin. costs.

For residency, you have to start out as a temporary resident, hold that status for a few years, then you can segue into permanent residency. There is no limit with permanent residency as to how long you need to remain in the country each year- you are free to come and go.
And yes, you do have to show a steady, minimum monthly income to qualify for residency. I think it’s about $2000/month for a single person.

So yes, a lot of factors to look at when deciding to emigrate, and one has to weigh the whole picture.

2 Likes

I’ve little to contribute here. I don’t know Medellin and I’ve never been to Colombia. (Although it’s on my list).

But I just wanted to say that 25 years ago I moved from the country of my birth to another country 3000 miles away. And I’ve never once regretted it. Humans are wonderfully adaptable.

I told myself at the time that nothing is set in stone - and that I might be back within a month if things didn’t work out … 25 years later they are still working out. Working out okay, not brilliantly, but no regrets.

Go for it - and good luck. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m in Australia but have heard for England and Europe that aged care in Thailand is cheaper and better then at home. Hubby and I love a Phuket holiday each year, just not at the moment. Hubby is 15 years older than I so it may be an option. Aged care is one on one there. I would happily move so he would get great care. Not at the moment as we are all good here. It was an interesting article though.

1 Like

Yes, I saw an article about this too. Very interesting, as the levels of care (pre-pandemic) sounded really brilliant. A few people who were interviewed, both relatives and persons being cared for, were so positive, let alone the cost being way more affordable. Many relatives in the UK have to “top up” their loved one’s fees, in order to pay for a decent placement.

They also interviewed staff and one manager, who evidenced both empathy and being skilled care givers. However hard staff in the UK do care and are skilled, they are paid a pittance, the services are paid a pittance by the State, and self-funders end up having to sell their homes, and subsidise people paid for by the State. It’s a total mess. Many of the big hedge funds bought up care homes and are now going bust.

I’ve told Mr Joan to send me to Switzerland if I finally need care. No way would I enter a care home here, although not currently on the cards.

But Thailand is def food for thought. I would however, check on how services in Thailand have managed in the pandemic.

2 Likes

Thailand was definitely on my short list, as I have friends who live there, and have spent time there. it’s one of those places where you do want to learn the language though, and not the way many GIs learned it – from the bar girls! Personally I would avoid Bangkok and other major centers. Phuket and the coast are nice, but tourist priced. I would go up-country near Chiang Mai.

Although Thailand is nice, I actually prefer the country next door – Myanmar. I have a friend there who is the country’s most famous TV Chef! She and her family are in Yangon. I also love the up-country area around the famous city of Mandalay.

2 Likes

Top notch medical care is available in Bangkok. Also in Thailand pharmacies legally dispense many items without prescription which, of course, lowers cost.

1 Like

The article was about Chang Mai. We were meant to be in Myanmar last holidays but alas COVID 19

1 Like

Yes, we often stock up while there just to avoid seeing the doctor back home.

1 Like

Yes, I want to avoid them as well

1 Like

Wise info from @KenH. We have a similar goal but our timeline is much further out. Regardless of where you are interested, you can easily stay in most countries for 3 months at a time to really check them out. We are pretty keen on southern France. Croatia is also on our list. My better half has been there a few times and just loved it.

Thailand is an option, but it depends what you are after. Chiang Mai is pretty easy going with a decent climate due to elevation. Street food is phenomenal and cheap. They do have good health care but you’ll need to make some arrangements, etc.

In your shoes, I would plan on spending significant time for a year in different places, to see where you may really want to settle down.

In any case I would not recommend buying anything for at least 1-2 years. You would not want to be really tied down if you changed your mind or got tired of your area or neighbors.

1 Like

We had a house in a village in Herault, S-France, for ten years. Although we didn’t live there f/t, we’d go down 4/5 times a year. What we hadn’t realised was how cold the winter months were; short but very, very sharp. It was colder than winter in the UK. We once met up with friends for New Year, further south near the Spanish border. We left home, where it wwas - 3C, for the two hour drive, swathed in sheepskin coats, boots, hats and gloves, ready for a night on the town by the beach in Collioure. It was 23C in Collioure; I was embarrasingly overdressed!

Don’t: strike it off your list. We spent three weeks there last year, and hated it. Yes, the islands are as pretty as everyone says, but everywhere we went was eyewateringly expensive, even out of the way, back street restaurants and bars. People are poorly paid and taxes are high. Our taxi from Split airport ws 60 euros for a 12km journey; a local guy took us back from 40km away for 30 euros.

I could go on. Try Portugal instead.

1 Like

If you want to live in prime location in Colombia you will meet and experience Lots of expats. Colombia is poor country . Comfort of everyday day life vary greatly between locals and tourists. Even in Europe in some areas we as Americans have to get used to to some discomfort . I am an American in first generation but we get used to good things fast. You can do so much of " local" life. I spent quite a bit of time in Africa with Intention to emerge into local life. I found myself to depend on someone to take me around at all times, not having to eat what I liked, waking up in a morning covered with bugs, feeling lonely as hardly anyone around me spoke English.
It can be done for a short period of time but after awhile it gets annoying and physically hard

2 Likes

We loved Collioure! Lovely little town.

RE: Croatia - My better half has spent about 4 weeks there over two trips and just loved it. She felt it was reasonable and spent all her time in various towns on the mainland.

We both love Portugal, and went back there last year.

1 Like

This is an important thing to note when considering a move to another country. Usually, when people go on vacation, or travelling, they tend to do that in the most comfortable months, weatherwise, of the year. But the “off season” is an important time to experience before thinking you might want to move somewhere. A lot of tourists come here to tropical Mexico from Nov-April, when the weather is lovely. The fall in love with the place, walk into a real estate office and buy a home. June rolls around and they are shocked at how hot and humid it is and they are miserable.
It’s important to experience all the seasons before deciding a place is your dream location.

1 Like

How long ago did she spend time there? We’d consistently heard about how reasonable it was cost wise, in comparison to other European destinations, but when we went in April/May in 2019, we were really shocked, like eight-nine euros for a pint of local beer. We spent most of our time on the mainland, near Split, in the part they are turning into a Russian led Disneyland of marinas, super yachts etc etc.

As for Split, it was a nightmare around the Palace. I’ve never seen so many jostling selfie takers!

We paid about 40 euros for a 75cl bottle of a good, local white wine on a less than regular basis, given we could buy the same for 5 euros for a litre in the local supermarket. Fortunately, we had a lovely apartment and terrace, facing woodland with a nightingale singing to us. That was the best thing about the holiday.

1 Like

I agree @Joan I found Croatia quite expensive in the tourist spots. Montenegro next door is beautiful and much better value.

1 Like

I have traveled to 68 countries and still counting. Medellin, Colombia was one of my favorite cities. When the plane was landing, I thought we were landing in the Swiss Alps. It is so beautiful and green. and it is a city emerging from the ashes, literally. Ashes caused single handedly by one man, whose name everybody detests and can not be spoken.
I loved the vibe, the edgy neighborhoods and it is the city of Botero, one of the worlds most talented living artists. Go for it!

3 Likes

Consider Uruguay. Extremely stable politically and financially, more seasonal than many other South American countries. Very happy here and chose to be here during the current crisis than in our US home.

4 Likes

Slovenia? My gf always loved Italy, but towards the end of her travels, she kept returning to Slovenia.

1 Like