Leaving beer as a welcome gift for the guest?

Yes, in Sweden that would be illegal.

1 Like

That would be awesome. But since they donĀ“t have access to my house (I rent out a guesthouse) a tap with beer is just not doable.

1 Like

Note that I am not selling the beerā€¦That would be illegal here.

1 Like

I think to leave for any guest an alcogolic beverage is not very appropriate. What if your guest is an alcogolic ? I dont know, it just does not seem right to me to leave booze for guests

1 Like

I for one, do not leave ā€œboozeā€ for guests. I rather have high quality home micro-brewed beer on the tap, for myself and my friends. But I do courteously offer some to my Airbnb guests to enjoy it if they wish, and they do, enjoying it not because it has alcohol in it, but because it is a tasty quality product. My guests know that I have micro-brewed beer in my home because it is mentioned in my listing. If a potential guest has an alcohol problem that may be exacerbated by the presence of alcohol in a home, then he/ she should not be booking an Airbnb that has speciality beer on tap.

Beer is booze, anyway you look at it. It has alcogol, and some beers have very high percentage of alcogol in it, idont have to even tell you this. One thing is offer a guest while you are drinking it and he is right there looking at you. Another to just leave it.

1 Like

I think this here is about how one view upon the responsibility one have against other grown people. I donĀ“t see myself responsible for any other human being, besides my not yet grown children. If a person has problems with alcohol, it is not my obligation to change my behavior. Yes, I could and maybe even should show some consideration. But if I were to offer alcohol and the person that took it, turned out to be a sober alcoholic (now drunk alcoholic), itĀ“s not my fault. I didnĀ“t force it upon the person. I didnĀ“t make this person alcoholic in the first place either.

With that logic, I shouldnĀ“t have my kids at home when having guest. I could accidentally trigger a child molester into acting again.

2 Likes

I have already posted but will restate here We had 2 insurance underwriters read the Air Insurance documents. The policy clearly states that providing alcohol to guests voids the policy. Find it just mystifying how locked on to gifts of wine and beer so many hosts are. I am making home made granola!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s just proves my point. And of course we are responsible for other human beings and have sympathy. Thatā€™s what helped us survive as a specie. Thatā€™s why we donā€™t allow underage drinking and make drugs illegal.

1 Like

The one time I left a mostly full bottle of vodka in the freezer, the guests were terrible. They had strangers over to my house and would not quiet down and broke furniture. I know vodka is not beer, but for this reason I will never ever leave alcohol for guests.

2 Likes

For 60-80 bucks a night, no, I donā€™t leave alcohol. I used to, Till I saw the unopened bottle being carried out of here, they probably were going to give it to someone as a christmas present or something!
And once I stopped doing it, I realized it really isnā€™t considerate to all the folks who may abstain from alcohol.
I do leave a nice locally sourced spring water bottle and some lime wedges.
If they want wine, they can get it themselves, and they better drink it only in the kitchen, and they better not barf it up all over the beige carpets in their portion of the house.
I put it in my house rules that drinking of alcohol must be kept to a minimum.
Not that anyone reads those.

2 Likes

Thank you! I had missed this. Glad we stick with chocolate. (Itā€™s Greek with hazelnuts and is soooo good.)

If you are not renting your own space. I think it is clever not to meet your guests with 100% empty fridge.

In our hosting experience, we ended up putting 2 bottles of water (the tap water is not drinkable in my city), some sweets (preferably something local as @Alia_Gee mentioned)

I surely mention that the stuff in the fridge is complimentary and they do not need to replace them.

Some cooking basics would be also helpful if you have a suitable kitchen. So they do not need to buy oil, salt and pepper for couple of days.

Iā€™m glad you mentioned this about the price point. My typical rate is under $100. For that price point I canā€™t leave gifts. I could see it you were a $200 a night place or a luxury place. I am neither.

I do have coffee and a selection of teas, plus creamer and sugar but do not advertise this is I want to keep expectations low. Same for the kitchen, which I am slowly pulling out of use. I have oil and salt and pepper and thatā€™s it. Thereā€™s also spices and other leftovers from guests. But I donā€™t provide anything else. However if guests leave behind good olive oil or similar I grab it.
New guests can resupplyā€¦ I want them to think of it as self catering. And I am not doing the catering. :rofl:

2 Likes

Where do they find this? The wording on their site is a bit vague! But this is good to know!!!

I myself have not read it, left it to the underwriters. Will check!
They seem to think it is a good policyā€¦

1 Like