Laundry pods...any experts out there?

We use laundry pods (Costco’s own brand, in fact) when laundering bed linen for our holiday lets. If the drum of our front-loader is overloaded, we sometimes find small sticky bits of the pod on the fabric. This is easy to peel off, though.
In the holiday lets, which also have front-loading washing machines, we supply a couple of packets of compressed power tablets - they are individually wrapped and will last indefinitely between lets if not used, whereas the pods will dissolve or stick to each other if they become at all damp.

1 Like

@cabinhost I looked at Costco today and the Kirkland pods and the Kirkland liquid are each about 12 cents a load. The liquid is a tenth of a cent difference in price. Assuming it’s similar at Sam’s using the pods is a win-win for you.

1 Like

I will have to tell my partner next time to look at Sam’s club liquid detergent too. It has to be cheaper than Tide…at least one would think?

It always is at Costco. And Costco periodically has it on a promotion of another 2 or 3 bucks off. I always wait and buy on “sale.”

Always!!! And stock up. Running an AirBNB uses a lot of laundry detergent, and I am very judicious with the amounts that I use.

1 Like

I put the plastic cup in my top loader , cleans the cup. I put laundry soap In a small bottle and marked the correct dose with a sharpie .

Yes, we get the moldy smell, although probably not as bad as you because our climate is more arid. We wipe the gasket with Clorox daily. In our minds, it is worth it because of all the advantages of front loaders.

For anyone who is sensitive to scents, beware of laundry pods. We had a guest use them (Tide brand). We told her that we prefer that guests use our laundry soap as it’s unscented and we prefer to keep to a minimum of scented products in our house. She used the pods anyway. The next several loads of laundry and the kitchen (which is where our washing machine and dryer are located) reeked of Tide. We had to take apart the soap dispenser in our washing machine and wash it to get rid of the smell.

2 Likes

One of the VRBO places we stayed in last summer had the same thing…the smell from the front loader. The owner said it was a top of the line HE super-size washer with all the bells and whistles. It had a serious array of lights which made it look like an airplane cockpit panel.

The owner’s printed instructions included a stern warning to leave the washer porthole door open between washings to air it out and prevent mold. It was too late. Obviously, previous guests were not following orders because the smell was gag-worthy. There wasn’t any visible mold along the rubber flange but maybe it was underneath the flap. (urp!!)

Unfortunately, I wasn’t going to leave the door open either because it stunk up the whole apartment. Also, having the washer door open prevented the slatted closet door from closing and hiding the machines ~ so nope, didn’t use the washer again…

…and kept it closed for the next person.

Oh yeah… you have to get a large cleaning rag and pull it all out manually. Disgusting,!!!

The best thing is to leave the door open and the manufacturer’s instructions even state that, as you noted. I am going to label the washer that is for the guests use. As to the pods, why I like them is because they are exactly two tablespoons which is what the repair man who came to fix my washer recommended as the amount for washing a load. Also he stated don’t wash rocks and feathers together because you will ruin your drum. I only had my washer a little under a year and because it got off balance so many times the hardware sliced into the drum. You could see daylight through it when they pulled it out. Rocks and feathers - don’t wash your sheets with heavy robes or towels. Better to wash like with like.

1 Like

There are lots of chickens running around desperately looking for a place to lay eggs… that would be an ideal spot!!:chicken::hatching_chick:

1 Like

And do you swish out the empty jug with water and dump that into the washer? :slight_smile: I do!

1 Like