LATE-CHECK OUTS....I'd like to share wording I use :)

I would like to know how you plan on enforcing this, because I quickly see Airbnb siding with the guest on this charge. Let me know how this turns out?! I agree totally with you however, I have a 10 AM checkout and a 4 PM check-in allowing me amble time to change over my unit with housekeeping.

Actually most hotels are 10 AM, with an acceptable 11 AM checkout time. Moreover, most resorts (such as the one I am in) check-in is 4 PM and check-out is 10 AM.

1 Like

The reason I prefer 11 am is because it gives the guests more time to tidy the place and clean before they leave. :slight_smile:

We are the opposite. Most guests check out early. But lots want to check in early or show up right at checkin time or just before. We have an 11AM checkout and a 3 PM checkin. I do not allow early or late anything although we have held bags a few times. I usually have the cleaner come at 11:30 so if they leave a couple minutes late they’re okay, but I’ve only had one person leave late. I have had one set of guests drive by the property slowly before checkin time, as well as another set literally sitting on the curb with their luggage after their Uber drops them off early, even though I stress to them that the unit will not be ready before 3!

Our place is in downtown Toronto. We allow guest to drop off their before official check-in and store after official check-out so that they can enjoy their day unencumbered by luggage. It is part of the message guests see before instant booking and works well.

1 Like

If your guest stayed beyond check out time without approval and they didn’t agree to give you a full night’s rate, you cannot get the money because Airbnb will not side with you.

And if they are late and don’t want to get out on time, how would you enforce it the fee? What if they don’t wanna pay it? Grab their stuff and take it out of your place? kick hem out?

Even if this is stated in the House Rules, which have some degree of contractual bindingness?

If my above assumption holds, a host can impose the deposit requirement and take it off it?

TRhat’s what i think it would be difficult to obtain from ABB, that’s a gray area that needs to be clear, because packing their stuff and kicking them out will get you a negative review.

I know this is an old thread, but a lot of the info and comments are still valid. we had guests check out late this morning, by 45 minutes, which probably doesnt seem too long, but we had cleaners scheduled to arrive 15 minutes after check out (as it was the only time they could fit us in). Despite the guest asking us to confirm check out time an hour before check out was ‘supposed’ happen, they still went over by 45 minutes - so effectively it took them 1 hour and 45 minutes to check out, disrupting the cleaners schedule by 30 minutes.

The house was left clean and tidy and we dont really want to start a big fuss, so have considered making up a little sign that we will place by the entrance door (inside an enclosed porch) in clear view of everyone who enters, so acts as a constant reminder -

will it work? no idea, as i’m sure some guests will still run over, but it might, just might, make them recognise that hosting an AirBnB isnt all sugar and roses and lots of work goes into ensuring the property is cleaned and maintained to a high standard and a late checkout might hinder that process.

so, here is the wording i would like to share -

Please check around before you leave
What you dont want, put in the bin
So when you leave at 10AM
The cleaners can come straight in!

We have to book cleaners well in advance
To ensure our home is cleaned
And they always have a busy schedule
So need to start at 1015

So please check out at 10AM
And help us in our quest
To get our home all nice and clean
For us or our next guest.

Best Wishes

…

Nice.

But I might say:

Please leave at 10 am
That’s when the cleaners come straight in!

I write to our guests in the pre-check-out day message that we will enter the property at 10 am.

Regarding some prior posts, I believe that @razberriez IS communicating with guests. Talking face to face is, for us, too late as the cleaners are scheduled within a day of the reservation.

I like the idea of the $75 late check-out fee to discourage late check-outs but it does put. pressure on the cleaners. I’d give them the $75. I haven’t felt the need to do this. We simply don’t permit late checkouts unless the cleaner is coming the next day or later in the day. We’ll OK that, if at all, on the day of or before checkout when we know the bookings and schedule.

As for charging for a full day if they’re much later, that might work if I didn’t have a reservation then. If I did, it would be trouble and might suggest to guest that staying longer is OK if they pay the price, for which there would be hard feelings as they didn’t get an extra night. So I wouldn’t do that.

I think that the cleaners coming straight in at 10 am or so would put the pressure on the guests to leave as soon as they could.

1 Like

We close old threads. Many posters on this thread are either inactive on the forum, no longer hosting or even deceased.

1 Like