Late check out guest- need some suggestions

Thank you for all of the comments. I do have everything ready to fly, fresh linen, bags, cleaning stuff, wash tub, lysol wipes ect. I have 4 or 5 sets of linen so i am not scrambling to do linen, i can do that in the evening on my own time. I have a robovac, but use rarely, perhaps I should be setting it to go while i am cleaning, I only have one rug at the entranceway to roll up so it does work well, need to put it to work on a regular basis. I find this site help me reduce my stress level as well, pretty cathartic. Thanks people!

4 Likes

Thunderlake, remember that you can set your check-out time for the best time that suits you. If you make it 9.30 am that will at least give you a little extra time.

I wonder about what happens though if you have guests who are especially messy or require a little extra cleaning work . Can you still achieve the turnover in time? Two and a half hours seems so short, especially if you’d have to deal with a blocked drain, non-working toilet or some other issue.

I’ve not really had a problem with over-stayers and this is what I’d advise.

As others have said, send a message the evening before checkout.

Be friendly and casual “wow, I can’t believe that it’s checkout day already tomorrow. It’s been lovely having you here and I’m so glad that you enjoyed your trip to whatever’…” etc. etc.

Then remind them about checkout time including “housekeeping will start to prepare the apartment for the next guests promptly at [checkout time]”.

At checkout time, go to the apartment / suite with your buckets and mops and clean laundry and cleaning detergents and so on and barge in. (Or your co-host or cleaner can do this).

If the guests are still there, apologise and ask them if they need help taking their luggage to the car. Be friendly and helpful. But firm.

Remember that guests who stay after checkout time are actually breaking the Airbnb ‘contract’ they entered into when they booked so they are therefore trespassers. So you really don’t need to be ‘tactful’. Guests who overstay aren’t the people you want as repeat guests, after all.

Your STR insurance will probably not cover you during times that are post-check-out so consider that too. It shows how important it is to make sure guests adhere to specific times.

2 Likes

That you so much for your comments…. All are helpful

1 Like