Late cancellations, death in family

I feel your pain 69james. My first year things were really rough trying to get the place furnished etc with hardly any money. And I had to barter with attorneys, etc. for other reasons. And I was able to use the rental to trade services. Well my partner allowed one of the people to trade for the Christmas holiday. It was too late by the time I found it. And then this person wouldn’t answer the phone, etc. Finally got in touch with him the day before Christmas and he said he couldn’t come because his father in law was deadly sick in the hospital. I was so pissed that my partner gave away Christmas, as it’s so hard to get bookings in December anyway. And then the trade situation never even happened because this guy was going to do part of the work while at the cabin. I just wanted to cry. So now I tell my partner that I will be in charge of all the bartering. And I don’t believe this guy that someone was sick. I think his wife decided they didn’t want to set up the Christmas tree and presents at the cabin for the kids, and would rather stay at home (45 minutes away).

I know you didn’t ask, but since you are booked solid - I am going to bet you can increase your rates by $10 a night at least. Sounds like you are in a popular area. Maybe a rate increase will make up for some of the past cancellations.

I’ve held my rate steady for all three years. I am thinking a $10 rise might be in order the following tourist season. I am reasonable, but not cheap either. Since it is a shared house, and shared bath, I have to take that into account. If I had in suite bath for the guest room, I could easily raise the rent $40. Demand is high, I rarely if ever an vacant on a weekend between 1 May and 31 Oct. But as long as the people must share bath and house, I gotta keep rent down. In fact, Air BnB now gives suggested rents based on what you offer, they suggested I rent for $56 a night on week days, and outside June-August. Frankly, I am not going to let a person into my house and given them a perfect room for $56! Not even worth it! Don’t know who at Air BnB is making these suggested rents? Has anyone else had Air BnB send little hints about rents?

James, you will feel loads better with a Strict policy and not so taken advantage of. In my case, I really don’t think guests look at the policy when they book. Plus, they are always arriving here by plane so I tend to get far less cancellations. I have had them though, and I fell for some sob stories. Yeah, I don’t fall of the turnip truck anymore like I used to!

1 Like

mate
follow your rules
i had one this year… i gave the money back
it destroyed my rating

check the image

he even told me that will come later in the year… its october… i dont see that happening
damn! they fooled me!
RANGE

I’d change my cancellation policy to strict if I were you. In a year of Airbnb hosting I’ve only ever had 1 guest wanting to cancel and I said he could cancel with refund only if I secured another booking for those dates. Because of that, he ended up staying.

Yes!! My guest first wanted to cancel due to rain , then 7 minutes later a sudden death. Airbnb believed the scam and I lost $378!!!

Sorry to say, airbnb will NOT back you up!! I had guest say they wanted to cancel because rain was predicted the next day. I said no. So 7 minutes later a relative dies!!! Airbnb bought her scam and I lost $378. #hostsdontmatter

1 Like

I’m guessing none of this was said on the airbnb chat?

Thank you for sharing your story. I think if I ever get a guest who wants to cancel (regardless if outside of Airbnb chat) - I am going to immediately contact them and tell them the reason. That way they have it on record. And then when guest comes up with the obituary - hopefully that will be enough proof guest is making it up.

I had in writing from guest that they didnt want to come because rain was predicted. In writing!! I said. No. 7 minutes later their in law died!!! Airbnb believed that lie!! They gave obit. They refused to question it so as to not burt their feelings. They did not mind being gracious with my $378!! #hostsdontmatter

That sounds just like Airbnb “don’t want to hurt guests feelings” - complete BS. Another reason I need to get away from them. I don’t know why Air is not matching up the date of the obituary with previous comments about wanting to cancel.

How long does it usually take for an obituary to be made public? If the person died 2 days ago, and the guest (an hour ago) put in writing they want to cancel due to rain…it is so obvious that the guest is not canceling due to death in the family.

It’s sickening.

3 Likes

Exactly …Airbnb collects documentation for extenuating circumstances death certificates etc…if the individual has the proper documentation they are refunded regardless if the host likes it or not that monies will be taken from future reservations

This is what travel insurance is for! (there are insurers who will include Airbnb accomodation) Most people take out travel insurance to cover the flights, accomodation or anything else that you have pre paid for before going on a trip should these type of “extenuating circumstances” occur. (and if they haven’t Airbnb should foot the accomodation bill from their fabulous $1m Host Warranty)
Why should the host have their cancellation policy overridden and lose their money??
Geez, next we’ll be forking out for their flights too!

3 Likes

I agree.

I even offer travel insurance trough my normal booking website.
AirBnB should either offer this, or put it on the guest.

Hosts cannot be penalized for the guest not being insured!

2 Likes

“I figure if they lie about it they are desperate.”

Evelyn, I very seriously doubt that many of them are “desperate”. Rather, they are just well schooled in knowing how to get what they consider “their” money back into their pocket, plain and simple.

I feel bad for being so jaded. I sold on eBay for several years. More times than I care to count, I was flat out lied to about the condition of an item I’d sold and shipped out. Buyers would claim the item was “not as described”, which would force me to take the return, refund in full and pay for return shipping. Usually the buyer would purchase a party dress, wear it to the event and then send it back, complete with missing tags, booze and sweat stains. Then I couldn’t even resell it.

The point here is that since Air has given them the tool, people are going to use it. They don’t care one bit about your situation or pocket book, only theirs. And of course Air has given them the tool. Part of their business model is to attract more reservations (revenue for them) by giving guests these outs and pushing the risk and loss off on hosts. Notice, they never ever ever give back their fees.

I don’t want to sound like I think all guests out there are like this. Many, many people are good and kind and honest. But when you’re in the service business, it seems to bring out the worst in those that may be inclined in the first place.

4 Likes

Hi @Nell,

Did the guest provide a death certificate?

Acoording to airbnb they had obituary notice BUT it was not samelast name and no proof even related. So you can send any notice in paper and claim you are related. Airbnb saudit would be insensetive to make them prove obit actually is for relative. They even sad " who would lie???" They could not even concieve of such a scam. Remember first they stated on airbnb messaging it was,RAIN. Then just SEVEN MINUTES LATER, the amazing sudden death and funeral the very next day! All documented on airbnb, but this sudden death was believed. I also had huge stain on sofa,they did not have to pay because they said they didnt do it. I se t photos,but Airbnb said, how do we know for certain they did it.
So they will NOT BACK OWNERS EVER.

1 Like

Hi @Nell,

That does sound rather sucky. It also seems this is quite common practice. Maybe this policy of theirs is something that should be discussed more publicly?