Last minute request...my problem or theirs?

That’s good…would be nice if he’d let me know :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the data!

My tier 2 rate (I checked the last year, even for the busiest months and it never went beyond that), which I reach by default monthly, is $0.056 per kWh * 1.4 kWh * 24 hrs = $1.88.
I found a site that said the battery capacity ranges 50 - 100 kW depending upon the Tesla model. So a near-empty battery “fill up” would cost $2.80 to $5.60. I think I can handle that for what I charge per day :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You’re running a business and they’re taking advantage of the fact it’s a home not a hotel so they think they can ask for extras.

I’m pretty sure they know there is a charging station 12 minutes away and are aware of Home Depot’s location as well. They’re taking advantage of you.

It’s YOUR business in YOUR home. I’d let him know that you’ve already gone over and above allowing a same day and 2 extra children for him (did you charge extra???) and just like finding a gas station, charging his car is NOT your problem.

No you’re not. Tell him that something has come up with your other job/family/whatever and you can’t make it but HD is up the street.

This. NEVER break your rules. It ALWAYS ends in tears. Trust me. And the other hosts who also have had to negotiate this.

And this. Your cord could damage a $100k car. Nope, nope, nope.

Not often I agree completely with @muddy but she’s spot on here.

And you have a stunning listing and your real competition is a stupid SARS virus, not the other neighbors.

No. This type of person is entitled. No cord? Your problem, not theirs. Ugh. I dislike people like your guest. Push, push, push and then behave badly when boundaries are set.

DON’T bring your cord - it could fry his car. He has options to solve HIS problem, tell him to fix it himself. You’re not AAA bringing a gallon of gas.

2 Likes

I’ve decided:

1. glad this happened as I clearly wasn’t prepared…will be next time!

2. I will add charging as an “extra service” for a fee of $5-8/day and I will waive as I see fit (ie for polite guests who are paying well - so hopefully for everyone ;-).

3. I will allow charging from the porch and I will measure the distance to the average car in the drive so I know it & can tell them the cord length THEY must supply :wink:

4. extra: I will reevaluate accepting kids 2-12. I think it’s a way to drive my biz back up. I know I’d do great if I took pets also but my allergies are really bad (for real) & I’m OCD about cleanliness so not sure I want the extra hassle and work. We’ll see.

Thank you for all the perspective! And an extra thanks for your sweet comment about my house @casailinglady. You made my day :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Well that makes sense!

RR

I’m beginning to think that hosts might want to state that electric car charging is NOT available at their home when they don’t want to do it with or without a fee. I might even state how far away the nearest charging station is since I don’t think there is one in our town. Then it is officially in your written policy if they complain. Given the potential damage if not done properly I would not want to risk it. If you list it to make your listing more competitive have a cord and a plan for where cars can park within reach. I would also worry about how my insurance company would feel about this.

What would that be? I mean, everyone who has ever traveled anywhere knows how to put a plug something in? My only concern would be using undersized extension cords so I guess that could be addressed in rules.

I filter for EV chargers, there are too few of them. A better approach IMO would be to embrace this and make a plug available and get the guests who filter for it and get more heads in beds and money in your pocket.

RR

4 Likes

Certainly everyone has to have rules at their own risk level. Sadly people can claim something caused a problem and suck up one’s time even if one wins the argument. I used to teach risk management part-time so I’ve heard lots of ridiculous stories and ended up a little paranoid, lol.

1 Like