Last minute cancellation; death in the family?

Why would anyone think that? I personally have no problem with refunding guests based on extenuating circumstances, I just think they should solve it with Airbnb as they are better equipped for dealing with this sort of things. After having a guest lying to me that her father is in the hospital in order to cancel/significantly modify her reservation, I’m even more prone to thinking like this. There are all sort of people out there and some of them won’t shy away from lying about very serious things in order to get away with a refund.

2 Likes

Some people replied that as a ‘host’ I should not have used the extenuating circumstance policy as a guest. I do not agree with that mindset, but to each their own.

2 Likes

IIRC when I cancelled ABB asked me ‘why’ and one option was extenuating circumstances, so bc the MIL issue was exactly that, I checked it. As you know I immediately got on a plane and was consumed with ‘life’, when I finally came up for air, I had multiple message from ABB asking "how I was’ etc, and for proof. I went back and forth regarding ‘proof’ since it was my MIL, and the Swedish Hospital would not release any info on her condition without her approval. So, I was willingly to just be done with it, but the host initiated the refund once I sent ABB our last minute plane tickets and hotel reservations. I know those could have been for a fun getaway, but I think the host saw the INSANE price and was like, ya maybe they aren’t lying.

2 Likes

@azreala

Guests have used the extenuating circumstances policy for my properties due to hurricanes that thankfully didn’t hit my area with the predicted devastation (I took a tough financial hit with Matthew, 4 weeks of bookings for 2 properties; my units were fine but access roads flooded).

Everytime we as hosts and guests accept a booking, we agree to the Airbnb terms & conditions including the extenuating circumstances policy. I understand your point of “why wouldn’t we use it”?

1 Like

Exactly. I 10000% understand validating the claim, but saying “I wouldn’t use the policy bc I’m a host” is silly to me.

We took a hit too after the Barcelona terrorist attacks, for reasons I didn’t quite understand, terrorists were caught, life returned to normal, etc. However, I had no choice, bc that is ABBs policy.

1 Like

I agree that is a nice way, it’s only one night. I had a guest cancel today for a booking for Sunday, it was only one night, he explained what happened, I just refunded him. Since refunding he has already booked in for next year.

I have a child with medical issues and I have had to leave in the middle of a reservation and travel back to his hospital, I never asked for refunds but the hotels gave them to me ( happened 3 times ) I give very positive PR for all the hotels.

Might not be the same if its a week or month. 7 days is the max with me anyway.

Does everybody take out travel insurance now ? suppose this varies country to country

Unfortunately, most people don’t purchase travel insurance. Hence, all the stories of guests wanting hosts to refund despite the moderate or strict cancellation policies.

Maybe I’m the lone voice here, but I either buy insurance or self-insure. I fully understand that most hosts are barely making any money, and if I have to cancel at the last minute, I don’t expect the host to be one to take the loss.

I comprehend that those are the rules, but I also believe in “do unto others as you would have done unto you”.

Frankly, I think it stinks that AirBnB is not the party providing the travel insurance. They charge a hefty fee for both the traveler and the host, and take very little risk. They should be the one that pays for the guest that cancels at the last minute.

4 Likes

It’s an Air BNB Policy, by agreeing to their TOS you don’t get the choice to argue

We are talking about an incredibly specific set or circumstances, that require substantial proof to actually be paid out. I so do not get the issue.

Also, for all you’thats what travel insurance is for’ people. You better believe Amex’s first question, is did you ask ABB about their extenuating circumstance policy.

2 Likes

Az is right. Love it or hate it, we all agree to that extenuating and to abide by it. You may buy travel insurance, but we cannot force or coerce our guests to. Az was within her rights to cancel as per the policy we all agree to and she shouldn’t be chastised for it.

3 Likes

All I said was that I was startled that another host did this, since we don’t like the policy.

But why? The host was also a guest and she had a genuine family emergency and used the policy that’s in place for all guests.

1 Like

One person stated that, I don’t think anyone agreed with them. I realize the relevant post has 3 likes but I would hope the ‘likes’ were in support of guests needing their own travel insurance, not the comment directed at you. Of course you can claim if eligible.

@pinehollowlodging what was the outcome in the end? :blush:

The outcome was that I left it up to the renter and Air, as was suggested by some here. I suppose, as the host, I could jump in and offer a refund. But I’d rather leave it up to Air to request the proper documents and decide if the clam is legit.

I had emailed the renter at the beginning of all this and said that she had to cancel and that Air would give her the opportunity to explain any “extenuating circumstances.” And they would decide about giving her a full refund or not.

That was nearly a week ago and I haven’t heard from the renter or Air. But we did receive a cancellation notice from Air, on the original arrival date, with the 50% payment .

I guess she has another week to submit her claim (14 days from cancellation, I think) but so far we haven’t heard from Air.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and frustrations so quickly, honestly, and completely. It took me a while to get back on the board and reply. But I did review everyone’s feedback as it was posted and it was all incredibly helpful.

thanks again,
jason

4 Likes

Ah that’s awesome :smiley: thanks for coming back and letting us know.

2 Likes

NO! Don’t refer her to Air BnB. They always buy guests BS stories about cancellations. I would say:

'I am so sorry for your loss. Generally travel insurance companies will cover changes in plans due to a death in the family. I recommend making a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible so you are within the required reporting periods.

My best to your family.’

If she presses then you follow up with ‘I am sorry I cannot issue a full refund. There is a cost associated with holding dates on my calendar, preventing others from booking. It’s always good to be mindful of cancellation policies you agree to and be aware of any risks you assume when booking accommodations. Thank you for understanding, and again, I am so so sorry for your loss.’

If again she presses, ignore her.

8 Likes

@jackulas

When we accept a reservation we as hosts agree to the Airbnb policies including the extenuating circumstances policy. To be in compliance with our agreed contract with Airbnb we should refer the guest to Airbnb for evaluation of the circumstances. Airbnb will request supporting documentation. I’ve taken the financial hit for hurricane related extenuating circumstances cancellations. It is not fun but it is the policy I agreed to when I listed my units and accepted reservations via Airbnb.

It is a contractual agreement. If we are unwilling to abide by the contract we agreed to, perhaps Airbnb isn’t the correct the rental platform for our property.

2 Likes

I am surprised this post got 4 likes - I feel it’s a rather disingenuous approach.

Can you imagine if your mother, child or husband died receiving these messages, then being ignored? In these tragic circumstances there is enough to consider without a host being deliberately obtuse.

By all means point out the opportunity to claim on travel insurance, but I would also mention that Airbnb has an extenuating circumstances policy for cancellations which the guest can look at and Airbnb will consider for refunds, upon receipt of supporting documentation.

2 Likes

So, I am a new host – having started just last May. I did have one guest call me with “extenuating circumstances” - her travel partner‘s brother died suddenly, and she understandably didn’t want to make the trip alone… I told her to call ABB, and she did. I’m not sure what they requested from her, but about an hour later, I got a call from ABB, and they said “Your guest has requested a refund due to extenuating circumstances - are you willing to refund her?” I thought it was interesting that they were asking me that question… And I decided to trust her and to say yes. I don’t know if it was real or not, but I know how I would want to be treated in such a situation - so I sent out good karma (and unfortunately was not able to fill those 3 nights on short notice). I slept like a baby that night… :slight_smile:

3 Likes