Last Minute Booking, Quick Cancellation

I didn’t expect to get paid in full for nothing and disagree that it’s misplaced to expect people to honor commitments. At what point is it NOT acceptable to blow off an agreement? If not a few hours, is it not OK if it’s been a few days? Weeks?

Sidebar: There were four days to check-in for someone to plan an international trip and book my place, which is an unlikely scenario. That is why it was surprising when the guest booked five days out.

This guest asked questions, booked, then changed her mind. And changed her mind again. Once she understood what she had agreed to, she is following through with her booking. The guest never cancelled, but clearly she was exploring her options.

1 Like

Best advice is to put yourself in their shoes, if you’d rushed a bit and made a booking in error (cost for 8 days at your place only known to yourself currently) then realised within 4 hours how much would you be prepared to pay for your mistake by losing 50% of that 8 day payment for cancelling it after only 4 hours?

1 Like

Personally I would be mad but only at myself since it was my problem. I would certainly TRY to get it all back but wouldn’t call it their fault for following their own policy.

That’s also why I would read the ENTIRE listing, to try to avoid my mistake to begin with.

From a business point of view, near the point of actual losses. Her blocking your calendar for 4 hours was almost certainly not keeping anyone else from booking, especially not, as you point out, “an international trip.”

Every case is different. Several of us won’t be at all surprised if you still get burned by this flakey, possibly dissatisfied before she even arrives, guest.

1 Like

A follow up. The guests were a nice couple, had a number of specific requests which I fulfilled as best as possible.

We received five stars on Air and she followed up with a 580 word private feedback piece in which she was positive about their stay and the rental and offered a number of suggestions for items to fill out the experience. Wine glasses, more spices, etc.

Oh, she thought the six month old Memory Foam was ‘very uncomfortable’. Ha!

No one got burned.

1 Like

It seems pretty clear that she just found a different place that she wanted to book instead. I’m very happy to hear that their stay was relatively painless and that she didn’t take out her unhappiness with her initial decision on you.

And thanks very much for returning to give an update.

4 Likes