Last minute 10 day (possible) cancellation, considering switching cancellation policies

Um, I had absolutely nothing to do with the guy sending me the certificate. I certainly didn’t ask him to. And I have no idea whether it’s illegal to refuse to host people based on medical conditions in India. And it’s a moot point. Nobody in India would ever sue me on the point.

I think that not accepting someone who has a history of canceling their reservations is not discrimination. It is self and income preservation. The amount of time that @faheem has spent on this person is really quite astounding.

1 Like

Right but now you have it and you’re starting with the discrimination.

Dangerous. I would reply startig you had no need to see highly sensitive medical information and that you have destroyed all records of the email.

1 Like

Discrimination? What discrimination?

It’s not an email. It’s in Airbnb’s system. And I assume he sent it as a justification for his request to get the remaining money back.

Faheem clearly stated had he known about the Parkinson’s he would have declined. That is discrimination based on medical information.

The amount of time Faheem has spent on this guy is something completely separate and I have no issue with that side of things .

1 Like

That’s a completely hypothetical situation. Good grief.

Faheem that’s you stating what you would have done had you had the information at the time. That is discrimination, sorry to be so black and white about it. Delete the guys certificate and stop making statements like this in public forums. Totally shocking.

EDIT: I couldnt find the post but now have so I can show you what I take issue with…

1 Like

Faheem did not allow the guy to send him anything! It was thrust on him.
I personally wouldn’t respond with anything and just let the chips fall.
Later you can bring up the odd source of events if they rule against you.

Just stop talking to him and end the aggravation. This would be a terrible guest, Parkinson’s or not. He’s telling US that he won’t accept Parkinson’s… Not the guest.

… reminds me somewhat of my neighbours who would make shockingly discriminatory comments but then say… oh not you though!

Just because Faheem is saying it here and not to the guest doesn’t make it ok

1 Like

I just realised that this person has my contact details include my complete address, from the original reservation I accepted. I just hope he doesn’t turn up on my doorstep. What a horrifying prospect.

This is from Air’s site regarding extenuating circumstances:

"If you need to make a claim

Claims can only be considered after a reservation has been canceled. Once you have informed your host or guest and canceled a reservation, if you feel that your reason for cancellation is covered by Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances Policy, contact Airbnb for consideration. We generally require claims to be submitted no later than 14 days from the original check-in date and we may require valid supporting documentation."

1 Like

Thanks, @cabinhost. That’s very helpful.

Here’s the draft of a message to Airbnb - I have the option to submit this when refusing the refund request. I think I’ll probably also just forward the same thing to the guest. I don’t think it’s worth the trouble to write him a separate message.

Comments appreciated (if you can be bothered to wade through this text) obviously.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hi Airbnb,

I’m declining Mr. xxxx’s requestion for a refund. Here’s an
explanation why.

Let me first do a brief recap of these events based on my email
records. All the relevant correspondence is in the Airbnb messaging
system.

1. Mr. xxxx made a reservation request on the 29th of October. I
    wrote back, but didn’t hear from him, so eventually accepted the
    request the following day.

2. On the 8th of November, Mr. xxxx wrote to tell me he had
    cancelled the reservation. On the early morning of the 9th, I wrote to
    him to tell him he had not cancelled, and to actually cancel, and
    simultaneously contacted Airbnb to ask them to cancel the reservation.

An Airbnb rep then cancelled the reservation for me. Mr. xxxx replied a
bit later (on 9th November) to tell me that he had cancelled the
reservation 12 hours ago. He hadn’t.

1. On the afternoon of the 12th November I then got another
    reservation request from Mr. xxxx, this time from the 13th to the
    18th of November. I wrote back to him as follows:

Sorry, I’m very confused. You just cancelled a reservation starting
13th November to 23rd November due to some unspecified health
reasons, and now you want to rebook part of that same reservation? I
don’t understand.

He did not reply.

1. In the meantime, I received a partial refund for the original
    reservation (13th November to 23rd Nov) cancellation.

2. He then submitted another reservation request from
    21st to 22nd November. I think this request was accompanied by:

Hi Faheem xxxxxx and I still require accomodation from tomorrow
night and would like to stay. We are decent people and genuine. I
have a medical certificate covering me for the refund . But if you
want clear things up balance wise and take us in we would appreciate
that. Thank you and kind regards xxxx My number here is (PHONE
NUMBER HIDDEN)

1. He simultaneously submitted a refund request for the amount that had been paid to me with the accompanying text:

The medical certificate certifies the reason we cancelled. Faheem
could you please fulfill your duty in paying back our rightful money
or accomodate us for five days until 23 rd November?

The medical certificate was from a Mumbai hospital, dated 14th
November 2016.

So, it’s not clear if he wanted a 5 day reservation or a 1 day
reservation. In any case, I have a reservation from the 18th to the
20th November, so this wasn’t an option anyway.

At this point, this was starting to get close to harassment. I
declined the one day request.

This seems like a very strange sequence of events. Here are some
issues I’d like an answer to.

1. Based on the medical certificate, Mr. xxxx had a fall and injured
    himself on the 8th of November, and had to cancel the reservation. He
    then departed for India, and attempted to make another reservation for
    my listing from India on the 12th of November, according to his
    message. To do this, he must have left almost immediately after
    cancelling the reservation, possibly on the 10th of November.

How is this possible?

1. For some reason he got a medical certificate from a Mumbai hospital
    on the 14th November. Why didn’t he get a certificate from his doctor
    in Australia? Why a doctor who knows nothing about him or his
    medical condition? And also, how is a doctor in Mumbai, India on the 14th of
    November in any position to certify that he had a fall on the 8th of
    November in Australia?

I’ve already spent a great deal of time on this, including this message. And my November reservations have been adversely affected by Mr. xxxx’s cancellation of his 10 day reservation.

Is it possible to prevent Mr. xxxx from making further reservation requests, so I don’t have to decline them? I’m concerned about my listing placement.

Check that date.

20 20

1 Like

Ah, yes. I fixed that in my actual text, but forgot to fix it here. Thanks for the heads up.

I don’t know, Faheem. I personally think this letter to Air is waaaaaaaaay tooooo long and too much extraneous information. You really don’t have to do anything. If it has been 14 days, the guy cannot get any money back. You don’t have to explain anything.

Hopefully your watchmen can keep this guy out and if he does show up, tell him to get off your property as he is trespassing.

1 Like

Sorry K, I disagree. I sent ABB a LONG email about the the woman who requested a refund bc my house was ‘dirty’ and some other bogus things. I basically went through all her points and countered them. Then laid out how this was not my fault. I feel we have to do this now since ABB no longer gives the host any benefit of doubt.

2 Likes

I think this guy messed up his dates and is trying to get you to pay for it. Agree if he couldn’t walk why didn’t he cx his flight to India? If he could manage to get to the hospital and airport, he was quite able to get to your place.
That is if you know where he was when he fell.

It’s quite common for a doctor to doc certificate for an injury that happened days before being seen. You don’t always go to see a doctor when you are first injured. We can tell how old an injury is based in bruises etc.

Parkinson’s doesn’t affect mental stability any more than any other serious, chronic disease.

I’d suggest you advise him to submit his lost $ due to injury to his travel insurance. I’ve had to make similar claims, accommodation, train and plane tickets were all refunded. Gently advise the guest that you have complied with the terms of the contact made when he booked and you are not going to give any future refunds, that is what travel insurance is for. He may not have insurance due to his Parkinson’s, pre-existing condition that makes it highly likely he could fall, unless he paid extra.

I just don’t think Faheem should waste any more energy on this… Especially if the 14-day period has passed.

4 Likes

Hi guys,

Here’s the response that I got from Airbnb. An astonishing display of contempt and disrespect. They didn’t even wait for a response from me.

So, some accurate predictions…

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hello Faheem,

We hope this message finds you well. Per our previous communication with you, we are writing on behalf of your guest xxxx. Airbnb has confirmed that they are
experiencing a a medical emergency and were unable to travel for the dates of their booking.

xxxx was able to provide sufficient documentation of an extenuating circumstance, as you know we previously canceled reservation xxxxxxx and cleared your calendar for
these dates. As per our extenuating circumstance policy we have refunded your guest in full. As such, we will not be able to provide you a payout for this
reservation.

As you have already been paid out for this reservation, we have applied an adjustment to your account in the amount of ₹12,148. This amount will be deducted from your
next payout until it has been reconciled. Please plan accordingly.

To review our policy on extenuating circumstances, please visit:
Extenuating Circumstances Policy - Airbnb Help Center [www.airbnb.com]
Extenuating Circumstances Policy - Airbnb Help Center [www.airbnb.com]

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding of these circumstances.

Best wishes,

Silas