Language barrier - American English

This is perfect. Thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes indefinitely agree with you on this ā€¦ In New Zealand and Australia we use more British English sayings and words then American. I also just learnt what a sham is. We just call them decorative pillows.

Lol What on earth is an eggplant, Iā€™d wonder? Why donā€™t stores here sell fresh coriander?

Yes. To top this off in NZ we call them both eggplant and aubergine.

Other ones ā€¦ (Bell) peppers and capsicum. Zucchini and courgette!! Yes

Your article is very funny and true. Iā€™m moving to America soon so Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be an opener for me too!!

2 Likes

England and America are two countries separated by a common language. I wear boots, my car doesnā€™t. My Mom (not Mum) wore an Easter bonnet but my cars never have!

My Lady partner Sally was born in Brighton, but by now has lived here longer than there. Still, she has some British pronunciations which make me crazy. Iā€™m always saying to her: ā€œIn America we have a similar word pronounced xxxx.ā€

1 Like

I wear trunks when I go swimming - my car doesnā€™t! Ha!

Long may it continue. Iā€™d hate it if we got to a point where the whole world was one bland homogenised culture.

2 Likes

I guess this is beat to death butā€¦a decorative pillow isnā€™t the same as a sham. A sham is an easily removable cover for a bed pillow. Most shams are bed pillow size but Iā€™ve seen them in some other sizes like a large square. I have decorative pillows that donā€™t have removable covers.

2 Likes

Haha K9! I didnā€™t want to keep beating it to death - so glad you did it for me - lol

1 Like

This thread reminded me of something from the 1st time I went to the USA (Iā€™m British).

At a Utah motel I was waiting behind another guy at reception, he spoke with a strong Southern drawl.
ā€œYou got ah bad hairā€ I heard him say.
The receptionist looked confused and asked him to repeat.
ā€œYou got ah bad hairā€

Dawned on both the receptionist and me at the same time he meant "have you got a bed here?"
So it seems even people from different regions in the USA have have trouble communicating!

1 Like

Oh yes. The accent differences are hilarious (though Iā€™ve heard itā€™s the same in the UK), and the slang and word usage gets confusing. Northern US says Pop, Southern says Coke, Middle says Soda. But then thereā€™s variations with Soda Pop, Fizz, etc.

I live in Missouri, and you can generally tell where someone lives in our state by how they say Missouri: ā€œmizz-oor-eeā€, ā€œmizz-er-ahā€, 44: ā€œforty-fourā€, ā€œfardy-farā€, or wash: ā€œwashā€, ā€œwarshā€. No joke. Iā€™ve gotten into arguments with friends over it.

I guess there are much smaller countries with even more difficulties where they donā€™t even have a supposed ā€œcommon languageā€ in common.