Kudos to you all-year-rounders!

ah yes. The regressive taxes. sigh

Because it taxes EVERYTHING. Hairdressers, food, doctor bills, dentist, rent. Everything! Quite the burden on the poor and also on business and services because of its natural tendency to pyramid.

No freakinā€™ way!!!

Oh, it is totally regressive, and the charts that I have seen demonstrate that it is a total gift to those that are well off. Horrid way to fund the government. [damn, my politics are showing once again.]

Iā€™m glad you brought that up regarding insurance and doing Airbnb, and in your case the dog boarding. I got a call from my mom saying State Farm sent a letter stating they want to take exterior photos of my place. Theyā€™ve insured it for the past 25 years. I called the agent and they didnā€™t know anything about it. Apparently corporate is going to send some contracted person out to take photos.

Anywayz, I got paranoid thinking someone turned me in, and maybe they have, but it seems they only want exterior pics and I donā€™t have to be here.

But back to the insurance. Doesnā€™t the Airbnb zillion $ host insurance guarantee count for something as far as taking the burden of coverage off State Farm?

1 Like

Hehehe just had to repeat thatšŸ˜‰

By not having them in my private house! CheersšŸ¹

2 Likes

What the heck, why do these companies have to be so nosy. We are paying them to protect usā€¦ I think they sometimes forget that.

I have been reading up on the million dollar thing and I think fit sure does seem like it could replace your liability coverage. If you have that and comet you are probably totally covered. I think comet will be very very cheap for you. Might be worth a try.

Whatever you do, donā€™t tell State Farm you are doing air. Do you have a photo of your exterior on your listing? I might be paranoid enough to remove it!

The tax foundation guy used to do a column and said he was asked, why is Hawaii the only state to collect excise tax. .? Because it can. No other state would dare. If the equivalent were to be collected in sales tax, it is said our rate would be 12 or 13 percent.

I do have a couple of pics of the exterior: One of the front door and then one looking off the upstairs deck. But you really think State Farm is going to go to the trouble of combing through Airbnb listings looking for my house?

Also, pardon me for not knowing, but what is comet?

ohā€¦ that is the short term rental insurance company. They only charge you when you have bookings.
I donā€™t think SF would do that! But didnā€™t occur to you as well? :smile:

Sounds like an incentive for barter.

If they catch me without phone in my hands, in a few minutes i say: o, i think i hear my phone,sorry, i am waiting for a call. I am guilty of that too, when i travel, i get more chatty, and can get into conversation with a host. I have to remind myself to be brief, and not be a nuisance.

I host all year round, but for me it dies off by itself so I know I will get a break for November, and again in Jan & Feb. I may have one or 2 bookings during those months, but not the insanity of high season!

I donā€™t know about the Airbnb ā€œinsurance.ā€ Itā€™s probably worthless and when it comes to something like an airbnb guest starting a house fire Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d be out of luck. Iā€™ve paid for homeowners for 26 years and never had a payout from them. I called once about some possible wind damage on the roof but it was so minimal they didnā€™t pay anything. I learned later that is considered a claim so I learned not to call them if Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m going to need them to pay. If I get cancelled then Iā€™ll start shopping for new coverage.

I do occasionally think about what if someone takes a tumble down my uncarpeted hardwood stairs, or some other mishap. Many of my guests are foreignersā€“many with limited English. Iā€™d have to take them to urgent/emergency care and hope they have a good credit card.

Hereā€™s a questionā€¦ Can foreigners easily sue you? Iā€™m not so sure they can?

I have no idea. Has anyone here ever had a problem with a guest being injured? Wanting to sue? Needing care but was unable to pay for it?

Of course they can, but the logistics are not easy. They would have to retain a lawyer to manage the suit locally. They would be expected to travel back for any trials or hearings. In general, they would have to be quite wealthy to sue you, so I can only imagine this happening if the loss was particularly egregious.

There isnā€™t a person in the world, with the means to travel, who doesnā€™t know that our medical system is expensive and capricious. It is a risk that they take when traveling if they donā€™t buy a health insurance policy to cover them. However, hospitals do need to treat seriously injured people in the ER regardless of insurance status. Now, we all know that in practice, some hospitals have gotten very good at skirting that law, but it is an obligation of any hospital.

1 Like

Though I have Hosted scattered guests over the hot summer months in the desert, my season (October - May) is ramping up. Starting with the two new Golden Voice Desert Trip Music Festivals in October, I am looking forward to meeting new guests from around the world and welcoming returning guests that are like familyā€‹:heart:ļø I actually plan for/schedule ā€œdownā€ time to prevent burnout :+1: Mary Cornell, Tranquility Casitas

@Malagachica Just wanted to check in to make sure you and your family/friends are safe!! I think they have ruled our terrosim, but still a terrible tragedy.