Knowing when guests arrive/leave - improving communication?

We’re fortunate, about sixty seconds away from our apartments is a lovely plaza with orange and olive trees, seating and two excellent cafes. The few times we’ve had an earlier than they should be guest, we direct them to the plaza and tell them that we’ll message them when their apartment is ready.

Last time it happened, a couple of weeks ago, we stored their luggage and said come back in an hour or so, we then didn’t see them for about four hours as they decided to have lunch!

Not so sure how this solution would work in the pissing rain though :slight_smile:

JF

Come to think of it, there’s some nice boites around the corner. The bigger issue is having agreed less than 24 hours earlier at time X and then showing up nearly 2 hrs. before check in.

1 Like

Yes, that is a serious pain. It’s the usual, very often guests simply don’t absorb what they are being told in respect of check in/out times and don’t appreciate that their place has to be cleaned and prepared after the prior guest checks out.

So far we’ve had two lots of guests that asked in advance for advice in respect of flights to our little local airport, advice duly given with a further reminder that they’d be best to book the afternoon flight as the morning one will have them hanging about for three or four hours. So which one do they book…

JF

1 Like

Usually i send guests an email asking when they plan on arriving because i want to make sure the house is heated/cooled before their arrival. Most of them answer this.
similarly I send an email before departure reminding them the check out time is 11 am. i didn’t have pb but a couple of times.
I don’t meet them in person and they can come and go as they please.
I, as a traveller, would never stay in a place that asks me to be there between 4-6 pm. I can’t. what if the plane is late? If I drive on a weekend trip, most of the places I go to have to be places I can arrive at 10-11PM or with self check-in due to the fact I drive after work and i have rush hour plus i have to stop for dinner.
In my own house - where I live - I allow people to check from 3pm until midnight. If I’m not at home I leave the key for them.

I wouldn’t either. But we all have our quirks. There should be enough Airbnbs that everyone can find one that fits their needs.

It’s always better to try to make any request sound like it’s for the convenience of the guest rather than the convenience of the host.

I am a live in host. My listing states that guest must provide check in and check out times at time of booking. I message them a reminder if they don’t. Check in starts at 3 pm until 10 pm, although I will change this if a guest asks. If they still haven’t given me check in times on day of arrival (or are at least an hour late) I phone AirBnB and ask them to contact the guest by phone. Check out must be by 11 am. Nobody has gone past this time. As I am a live in host it is difficult for guests to avoid checking in and out at the times they say they will. Perhaps you should be at the letting 15- 30 minutes prior to check in and check out times, after all, you need to be there to give them the keys. It is not militant to expect guests to check out when they say they will.