Welcome to AirHostsForum.com!

We are a community of AirBnb hosts. This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts!

Kitchenette without a sink

This is my first time doing Air BnB, and we are getting things ready. We have a storage room on the guest level that we are turning into a kitchenette, however it does not have a sink inside. The guest level will be separate from our living area. There will be no access to our kitchen.

I’m trying to figure out what to do as far as dirty dishes. Should I suggest guests scrape solids off the plate and wash dishes in the bathroom sink? It’s a dual sink, and the toilet is in a partitioned section of the bathroom where this is another sink (3 total sink in the bathroom). The idea of folks washing dishes in the bathroom might sound unsanitary to some. I don’t want to make my guests uncomfortable. Alternatively I could offer a bin for folks to put dirty dishes, and they can let me know if they need some new clean dishes. My third idea is a camp-style washing system where there are two wash bins, one for soapy water, and one to rinse. There is an electric kettle in the kitchenette that can be used to make hot water to wash with, or they can simply get hot water from the bathroom sink.

I’m not sure which option is best, and would be open to some ideas or suggestions!

Honestly, they all sound to me as something I wouldn’t like at all. What about the option of having a small sink in the kitchenette? ANY chance to get it?

If not, the only I can think of is something outside the room where there they stay. Anything else inside wouldn’t feel right. Who wants his dirty dishes next to him or dealing with it in the bathroom?

Well when you stay in hotel rooms with keurigs, coffee makers, etc where do you wash your dishes?

There’s no sink in the kitchenette i provide.
I have a covered bin for dishes and ask guests to text or call when they need to be replaced.
Only one guest in three years has requested such assistance.
Most wash them in the bathroom hand basin.
In their hallway there’s a wire trolley on wheels, with dish cloth, scrubby utensil filled with liquid soap, drying rack and tea towel for drying.
I imagine guests wash them under hot-running water, rather than actually put them in the hand basin. Not environmentally sound, but that’s what I’d do, rather than place them where bacteria from soiled hands and toothpaste saliva have landed.
98% five-star reviews and no one has ever mentioned the lack of dish-washing facilities.

You’re comparing washing a cup (even though it’s always a paper one) in the sink to washing actual dishes?

I feel the same way.

Getting a sink installed is definitely on the to-do list. We are just looking for a solution in the mean time.

Thank you that is really helpful. I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable having dishes in a germ-y bathroom as well. I like he idea of a drying rack in the kitchenette area, along with letting them know to text or call when they need replacing.

I have NEVER stayed in a hotel with paper cups.

How long you need to install it? You might want to consider that you rather wait a bit more and get it done the right way rather offer such solution.

What do you mean…? It’s not “always a paper one”!

I am really getting irritated with your contrary tone here I must say. You seem to be doing it for sport now.

The last few hotels I stayed in offered ceramic and glass drink ware. The bathroom sink was fine to wash them out in.

I do not think the OP intended to provide full cooking facilities with pots, pans and all that with a self described kitchenette. If you want to provide more than that then you need more than sink. You need full cooking capability.

The only dishes in the kitchenette are glasses, coffee cups, plates, bowls, and flatware.

I live in a rural area, there are probably only 10 other ABnB’s in the area, two of which are super minimal tree houses. It’s a country home. I don’t foresee not having a sink being the make or break of my listing, considering all the other perks of booking our place. I’ll be transparent in the listing, of course. My original question is asking for ideas to work around not having a sink for the time being.

We have this set up. Our ‘kitchenette’ is a microwave, a fridge and a kettle. The only sink is in the bathroom. The space holds a maximum of 4 guests and we provide 4 of everything. If they’re staying more than one night we go up in the morning and replace all the dirty dishes with clean ones. We don’t expect guests to wash up, but if they want to they will do it in the bathroom sink. It’s never been an issue at all

I recently paid $165 for a divey road side motel on a long distance trip, fridge freezer leaked everywhere, kitchenette was merely a kettle and microwave and no sink, TV was broken, shower pressure was no existent and either freezing or burning - no in between. I was still happy for a rest before a long day at work to break up the drive. Your space sounds like a palace in comparison in nice country home :house_with_garden: best of luck to you, just put clear pics and be transparent and I would bring suitable foods and be more than :smiley:

Maybe a small welcome pack with some milk, muslei bars and single serve cereals would be nice and some menus from local restaurants you might recommend people eat out at.

Is there space for a small table or wheeled cart with 3 small-ish basins (not 2)? That’s soapy water, bleach water, rinse water – the standard ‘legal kitchen’ and ‘camp kitchen’ setup – which would be ideal. Label each basin and provide soap and bleach… You’ll also need a covered bin for food scraps.

Welcome to the forum. LOL.

I vote for providing things for them to wash their dishes with in the bathroom sink (that’s what I would want) together with the offer to provide clean dishes at their request. There are a lot of people who are quite particular about where their dishes are washed, I’m not one of them. I’d want the simplicity of washing them myself in the bathroom. You could also provide disposable paper goods until you get a sink in. Lots of people don’t like paper goods for “environmental” reasons but in a place with more landfill space than water like where I live, it’s an option.

I stayed in a lovely Airbnb in the Adirondacks that converted a small closet to a small kitchenette-ette. Microwave, small fridge/freezer and coffeemaker, flatware and plates, but no dedicated sink. (Their photo doesn’t show the housewares, but the shelves were nicely appointed with simple kitchen items.) They left a dishpan for anything that needed to be washed and I think they came and took it during the day. Or I just rinsed dishes in the bathroom sink. It was really a charming place and I didn’t think twice about it.

You can see their set-up in their photos. I highly recommend the place if you’re ever in the Northville area of the Adirondacks.

I have a similar setup - it’s a “coffee bar” with Keurig, mini fridge, toaster, microwave, but no sink.

Guests load their dishes into a dishpan and leave it for me to wash. I also leave a dishwand so they could wash in the bath sink, but very few do. Most of my stays are 2-3 night and people eat at restaurants nearby, so that helps. I’ve only had positive feedback (“we didn’t have to do dishes!”).

Since I didn’t want to misrepresent, I didn’t check the “kitchen” amenities - I’d rather people be happily surprised than expect to cook and be disappointed.

But that’s the point. How are we comparing here “a converted storage room” to a nice hotel room? Apples and oranges.

Again, when I say “always” I’m comparing the hotel level to his listing. I stayed in Marriott last month at $160 a night and had a paper cup waiting for me.