Keeping guests entertained

In addition to providing our guests with free Internet Wifi and a 49-inch television (with its 220 cable-TV channels) in their private TV-lounge, we also have several popular board games if they wish to stay-in and relax for the night: Scrabble, Mexican Train dominos, Uno, Rummikub, Yahtzee, Backgammon, Bunko, and regular playing cards. I bought these games online through Walmart and had them shipped to my Airbnb home.

Plus, we have a folding card-table and four matching folding-chairs for guests to play these board games upon.

These are simple amenities for our guests to further enjoy their stay with us.

1 Like

Where we live the entertainment is all outside – beaches, kayaking, deepsea and freshwater fishing, Spring Training baseball, hiking, snorkeling and diving, historical things. Our guests typically spend all day outside, come back after dinner, swim in the pool and go to bed. We have a games table with chess, backgammon, checkers, cards and more; and in 3 years I don’t believe anyone has ever used any of that. We have basic 20 channel cable and a Netflix feed. Local and regional weather and news gets watched most.

1 Like

I never thought of providing board games, until a couple stayed with us two months ago. They brought their own Scrabble game and stayed-in for the evening drinking wine and playing.

As I said, the games are only an added guest amenity.

I don’t have a TV for guests to watch, let alone a room for them to watch it in :slight_smile: @Don_Burns

I don’t want guests staying in, go and use a restaurant or a bars air con, saves me giving Endesa (power company) an option on one of my vital organs every month.

JF

4 Likes

Helsi: My wife and I are fortunate our spacious two-level house has a private downstairs area for our Airbnb guests (two bedrooms, TV-lounge, full-bathroom, and outdoor balcony overlooking the pine forest). This photo is of our downstairs guest TV-lounge that includes a small sink, microwave oven, mini-refrigerator, wine bottle refrigerator, and coffee maker. The guests’ 49-inch television cannot be seen from this photo angle.

JohnF: If our Airbnb guests want to stay-in for the night, that is their choice as they paid for it. They are here to relax and enjoy themselves; either at local tourist spots or in their guestroom area, regardless of their room heating and/or air-conditioning cost. Counting pennies is not one of my perks as an Airbnb host.

1 Like

We lock our guests in their room with hard chairs and improving books only. For some reason we don’t get many returning guests…

22 Likes

Sense of humour failure today Don?

JF

1 Like

Nope; it’s just that I am not cheap. But thanks for your input.

Board games, cards, Smart TV, books and magazines. Nevertheless, most guests go out and about rather than staying in. The entertainments we provide are for rainy days mostly.

Ok, not cheap, maybe a little tad pompous then?

:slight_smile:

JF

6 Likes

Lots of outdoor activities here, but sometimes it rains or snows and I don’t want guests scratching tally mark lines on the walls, so I put some games on the shelf. They are all from the 1980s, because they all belonged to my kids: Battleship, Trivial Pursuit (1984), travel tins of Checkers and Chess, those wooden peg puzzles, decks of cards.
So far, per the guests who mention the games, Battleship is the favourite.

2 Likes

I’ve got a coffee table with storage drawers that are full of games and a couple decks of playing cards. They don’t get used much, but they have been used, mostly by families.

1 Like

We have board games - Risk, Stratego, Battleship, Scrabble, Connect 4, Trivial Pursuit (older version), and a couple of others that escape me right now. Smart TV with Chromecast/Smartcast, a Little Free Library annex with books for all ages that gets tons of use (especially the kids books) and we are in the heart of Redwood Country so folks are out an about most of the day as well, even in the rain :smile: We either picked up games at the Thrift store or brought out our old favorites that were still all intact. The games get a great deal of use because our preferred demographic is families and seniors. Both sectors use the games and books a great deal even after a long day of sightseeing and hiking. I find it interesting to see what channel the guests left the TV on LOL It can be verrrrry enlightening. Our very first guests, college students that, as it turned out, used our home to pack weed for shipping, left it on Cartoon Network and the sound was Blasting Loud!

2 Likes

I have a big backyard with a patio table, stuffed chairs, a garden, a fireplace, and a terrific view of the stars. Tim Horton field is a 15 minute walk. A UNESCO biosphere is 2 kms. And it’s the waterfall capital of the world.

Almost all rooms have an electronic babysitter (smart TV) and unlimited Wifi.

Through Metrolinx we have access to Toronto and Niagara.

The city itself, however, is a crashing bore.

1 Like

@justMandi, I was working in your city, and someone from there asked me where. I said, “Up on the hill.”
Oops.
I know now to call it a mountain.

3 Likes

What’s wrong with you @southendbootboy you forget to include a cane and a cupboard to lock your guests in when they disobey your house rules :smile:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: Please share more tips!

1 Like

What’s wrong with a whip?

1 Like

We only Airbnb our apartment on the weekend with usually a 2 night stay. Our apartment is right in the middle of the city walking distance to everything. We don’t offer wifi as most travellers have phones and we are surrounded by free wifi spots, this is in our listing.
A recent guest complained in the review there was no Netflix and to bring your own DVD’s. We do provide a small selection of these but no one has used them as there is so much to do in the city and Melbourne has about 15+ tv channels. We also offer a selection of magazines and books. I should say that this guest complained about being in the city quote “Being in the CBD there is a lot of negative behaviour on the street, pubs/clubs, mental health, alcohol abuse etc” I think they spent their whole time in the apartment where they felt safe. They were from a regional town.

2 Likes