Just Venting a Little Bit

I’ve been trying really hard to get my rating to a 4.9. We have a whole home and get about 4-6 bookings a month so anything less than a 5 star drags us down. We got close to 4.7 and losing SuperHost once, and I really don’t want to get there again.

I just had a guest give us a 4* overall when every rating except location was 5* and their only complaint was how far down a private dirt road our home is (even though I disclose that in the listing).

Generally I’m frustrated with the 5* system that most apps use in general. A 3* rating should be adequate but society has deemed anything below a 5* isn’t worth the time of day, and so many guests don’t understand how much a 4* review can hurt a host!

1 Like

A 4 star review is 20% reduction. I had my first 4 star review a few weeks ago and when I asked the guest why 5 stars in every category and 4 overall she told me a 4 was a very high rating, she was put out that I had the nerve to ask. Basically she was an entitled guest who was stressed when I told her I had work going on in another cabin on the property, which I cancelled when she objected. She left a glowing review and 4 overall.

People can really suck.

RR

1 Like

Do you offer any extras:? Snacks? Coffee? Board Games? movies? We try to offer a little more do counter act any bumps in the stay experience. Sometimes guest comment on these surprises that they didn’t see in the listing.

I agree wholeheartedly. We are not in the hospitality business. We are in the review business. When some bright bulb reset the goals to 4.8, it stopped being fun. Irrespective of Airbnb’s insistence that our metrics are different, our standards technically exceed some of the world’s best hotels.

3 Likes

We do, we have some board games and books that we always get complements on. Been thinking about offering coffee, but since I’m a remote host, it’s hard enough putting what I put on the person who takes care of the property for me without adding to it.

I wonder if this is part of the “problem”. Honestly, I’m not sure, just wondering. Reviews are a common topic and it would be interesting to see if there are factors that affect the reviews that guests leave.

A big factor is how others reviewed you. If you have a long list of accolades, why be a killjoy?

1 Like

Do you have a supply closet you can lock? Just load up on whatever you need?

I do have a supply closet, but my sister-in-law does the cleaning and doesn’t have the extra time, nor do I bring in enough to pay her more for theme it would take to stock snacks or coffee.

I agree wholeheartedly. We are not in the hospitality business. We are in the review business. When some bright bulb reset the goals to 4.8, it stopped being fun. Irrespective of Airbnb’s insistence that our metrics are different, our standards technically exceed some of the world’s best hotels.

Its amazing how we get rated. If we don’t get all 5* reviews it could put us out of business.

1 Like

In this case I don’t think it is. I have family who I employ to take care of our property. In this instance I think it was either a mistake or just not understanding how impactful the reviews are.

It would be nice is AirBNB offered a suggested overall review based on what the other categories were rated at.

When a guest arrives, the onus is on us as hosts to explain how the Air rating system works. This is in and of itself rather tedious.

Yet when it is time to review the host, the criteria is more critical. A Five is extraordinary (vs. Expectations). If the host has wonderful amenities and multiple five stars, expectations are already high, unless the host delivers something extra special.

When a guest arrives, the onus is on us as hosts to explain how the Air rating system works.

I try to gently do this in my welcome message. I mention how we strive for 5 stars in all categories and to please reach out if anything feels less than 5 stars. My average reviews have gone up since I started doing this, but occasionally one like this slips through.

Guess I should be happy that 9/10 reviews is 5*

I’m not surprised you are not getting great reviews if you “don’t have time” to put out coffee. I can’t imagine what else is overlooked.

6 Likes

I put this in my guest manual, it seems to have helped with guest ratings.20190909_132018|375x500

I like it! Except for the statement about never leaving a guest a poor review. I couldn’t say that. I have left guests poor reviews when they earn them and I’ll continue to do so. I think hosts have an obligation to review honestly.

2 Likes

“Do my best to compensate you fairly “? Sounds like you are practically inviting people to extort you - I would really rethink this wording.

5 Likes

In other platform this is what they do…you put your star in each category and they calculate it for you

I have had the fortunate advantage of actually only having had one bad guest out of over 200. I placed this in my book long before having the bad guest. I will revise it when this season is over to be accurate. I always am honest in my reviews of guests, just haven’t had experiences that would elicit a negative review. I have however had guests leave unfair and unreasonable reviews on occasion, which is why I joined this forum, and also left this statement in my house.

I have local family taking care of the place in a rural location. I have a Walmart online account, I order and have things delivered directly to her. She does pick up incidentals for us when it’s convenient for her, but as far as things that regularly have to be purchased that are easy to anticipate (toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, coffee!, RidX, sheets, towels, etc.) I just order it online and have it delivered right to her, she takes it over when she cleans and puts it on her supply shelf in the garage or whatever. No extra time at all required on her part.

1 Like