Just got dinged with 4 stars by a happy guest. Grrrr!

After 7 years I got one bad review. I am finished after seven years of good reviews. I have no defense although I have witness and the accuser/“guest” has none. Is there a court of appeal?

2 Likes

I don’t think you understood @Jefferson’s suggestion.

If you want your post to generate discussion, start it as a new topic.

1 Like

Court of Appeals

After 7 years I got one bad review. I am finished after seven years of good reviews. I have no defense although I have witness and the accuser/“guest” has none. Is there a court of appeal?

Just out of curiosity what is your nightly rate, your cleaning fee, if any, and average length of stay?

You’re still not getting this - replying here, to these messages, is not creating a new post. You need to click on the little green house symbol up at the top, and then click on “+New Topic”

1 Like

It ranges from $155 to $270, depending on season. No cleaning fee. Most are 2-3 nighters and rarely over 4-5.

1 Like

TO LORDHUNT / SUSAN LORD WILLIAMS

Let’s try this one more time? You should POST THIS AS A NEW TOPIC. Please see the image:

1 Like

I still can’t grasp this idea that 4 stars is “getting dinged.” Sure, 5 stars should be the goal of all of us, but as a Host or a Guest, I equate 5 stars with perfection – EVERYTHING that is in the listing is available and working, and there are NO negative features that are either within the Hosts control or that the Host did or should have known about and disclosed. Same principles apply when a Host rates a Guest.

When I rate Host or Guest < 5 stars, of course I feel obligated to give reasons for the sub-5-star rating, and if the Guest in this case gave 4 stars with no negatives to support that, I’d agree that’s lazy at the very least. But if the Guest had even ONE valid complaint, then I think 4 stars (or even less) is perfectly valid.

In considering staying at a place or accepting a Guest at mine, I don’t consider reviews below 4 stars disqualifying, certainly not 4 stars. I just look at the REASONS for each review, then make my decision. About 90% of my Guest and Host Reviews are 5 stars, and even when I have small complaints, I try not to dip below 5 stars unless at least one complaint is significant. But the “grade inflation” culture of ABnB has gotten a bit ridiculous, IMHO.

Airbnb requires 4.8 average for superhost and for work collection and some hosts want that. 4.7 is the average for all hosts and hosts who fall below that can be subject to sanctions including being suspended from the platform. So we can decry “grade inflation” hypothetically but when it really hits their pocketbooks, hosts are rightfully dismayed. Especially if you are just starting out when one or two 4 star ratings drop you down to below the standards Airbnb tries to impose.

6 Likes

[quote=“HorseshoeRoadInn, post:48, topic:36919, full:true”]
I still can’t grasp this idea that 4 stars is “getting dinged.” Sure, 5 stars should be the goal of all of us, but as a Host or a Guest, I equate 5 stars with perfection – EVERYTHING that is in the listing is available and working, and there are NO negative features that are either within the Hosts control or that the Host did or should have known about and disclosed. Same principles apply when a Host rates a Guest. [/quote]

Sorry but I don’t understand why it is hard to grasp that 4 stars is negative.

It is defined as such by air. A few 4s here and there can easily cost a superhost their status. Surely you would not argue that this has no impact!

Let us say that from now on 50% of your guests give you 4 stars. Their stay was Good, they were happy, they had no complaints or issues, they would stay there again.

Would you honestly not mind?

Anything under 5 means “something was wrong”. 5 is Not Perfection. 5 stars is “I would stay there again - the space was very clean and everything was accurate to the listing”.

We now have 2 copies of our guestbook in our unit with our simple education message - to avoid a repeat of ignorant guests who would have no idea that 4 stars is negative.

1 Like

As a Host, of course I always strive for 5 stars, but I don’t stress over the occasional 4-star rating. I have almost nothing below that (2 ratings under 4 stars), of which one was definitely my fault, and the other was a Guest unhappy with an absence of amenities that I never claimed were available. As a Guest, having now stayed at more than 50 different ABnB properties, some are simply better / worse than others. Within a given market, allowing for differences in price, some properties are inferior to others even though they may have no major specific faults, and if Guests can’t reflect that in their ratings, then what use is a review?

I do agree that anything less than 5 stars should include some specific reasons for the lower rating. That’s why, as a Guest, I READ those reviews, same as for products I buy online. Sometimes the reasons given reflect things I really care about as a Guest, sometimes they don’t, and I’ll keep or reject a listing accordingly. I don’t know about others, but as a Guest, I limit my searches initially to anything above 4.0 stars, then evaluate that list based on price, amenities, location, and specific issues identified in reviews. With an available range of 1 - 5 stars, I find it unreasonable to expect every guest to use only 5-star ratings, even to express an overall positive, “would stay here again” review. If that is the culture that has developed at ABnB, then it’s silly to retain a 1 to 5 star system.

Maybe a better approach would be a 3-level expectations scale and split it into a few categories. For example, for listing features and amenities: Met, Failed to meet, or exceeded expectations, with a requirement that any rating other than “Met” include specifics to justify that rating. Maybe the same for Booking and Host Communications.

Finally, and even more importantly, there needs to be a “Value for Money” rating. As a Guest, I use ABnB for both holiday and business travel. For business, I am usually looking for the lowest price with the minimum amenities, and I could care less if I ever meet the Host; for holidays, I will usually gladly spend extra for prime location, extra comfort and amenities, and I greatly value interacting with friendly and knowledgeable Hosts. My criteria for a 5-star rating, therefore, vary according to the price I pay within a given market.

My own listing is priced a bit below the mid-point for my market, and I aim at price-conscious Guests and providing a superior experience FOR THE MONEY. I don’t expect Guests to rate my property in comparison to those costing 2 or 3 times what mine does, or even more. But on an absolute scale, there’s no way mine would rate 5 stars compared to those much costlier places.

But isn’t that rather silly? We have an available scale of 1 - 5, the overall average is 4.7, and one-tenth of a point above that makes for a “Superhost.” I run or participate in several processes (awards of various types) based on ratings by reviewers, and I have developed processes to ensure that neither a few very high ratings nor a few very low ones skew the results. With a system where 4.7/5.0 is “average” and 4.8/5.0 is “super,” ABnB has created a system where even a single 4.0, which should stand for “very good,” can move an excellent Host from “super” to ordinary.

Without major changes, the best option would be simply to throw out the highest and lowest X% of reviews, where X is maybe 5% or 10%. That way, a handful of 4’s among a large number of 5’s would not pull a Host below the magic 4.8 level, and even a very few 3, 2, or (gasp!) 1 ratings would not be devastating.

(This might also relieve ABnB from the time spent dealing with “appeals” of low ratings)

1 Like

The review system? It may be but until Airbnb gets rid of it it’s not silly for a host to be frustrated by it. But saying “just get over it” is a valid approach. I think that’s what I said to you when you complained about Airbnb’s gender discrimination months ago.

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean. I click on the Steps below and nothing happens. I am feeling rcally down as this is just another clog in the wheel upsetting me as I feel I am not being treated justly…

As stated previously, I have a witness to what went on and my Airbnb guest does not. Further she never advised Airbnb that she stayed three nights with me and didn’t pay me personally. Also, I am a lady and it is most upsetting to be receiving such unjust treatment. I repeat, after 7 years with Airbnb I the treatment of me most unjust.

By the way, I do not allow guests to pay me personally as I feel Airbnb deserves the tip it receives for the work involved.

You’ve been a member of this forum since 2016 but it sounds like you think you are on an Airbnb moderated forum. We are not Airbnb and never have been. We are just fellow hosts. We can’t help you.

You’ve also been complaining about unjust treatment and not getting any bookings for about 2 years here on this forum. Are you talking about the same incident for 2 years or did something new happen recently?

SUSAN LORD WILLIAMS / LORDHUNT,

Ah, Spanish is your first language?

Por supuesto, nada sucede cuando haces clic en una mera imagen en un foro. NO somos AIRBNB. Este es un foro de Internet.

Llama a Airbnb por teléfono en tu país. NO somos Airbnb.

La imagen en el mensaje anterior no es interactiva.

Fue para instruirle sobre cómo puede crear su propio tema.

buena suerte

We are NOT AIRBNB. This is an Internet Forum. We can’t help you and have no idea what happened. Call AirBnB.

Game changer—I ordered these super classy and affordable cell phone charger caddies for all my bed side tables from Michael Schriner. He’s on FB and has an Etsy shop. Works like charm! Everybody needs these!

Your ratings have improved since you put those in? I got something from Airbnb that at first I was kind of cynical about. But then someone suggested a reconfiguration of what they sent and I followed their suggestion and did this. Here it is hanging in the Airbnb room. It’s already been commented upon by more than one guest. If it banishes the 4 star review forever I guess it’s worth it.

4 Likes

Passive-aggressive much? Hold a grudge much? Jeesh!

Grudge, no. But I remember you.

1 Like