Just became a host - my guests scratched the floor

Lucky you! A perfect place for rentals!!! :+1::smiley:

Ahhh! In theory! If so perfect, why am I not, nor shall I ever be… “a Superhost!?” Not that I want that! Makes guest expectations higher!

Believe it or not I get dinged on location, value and cleanliness… even though it’s escrow-cleaned EVERY time, it’s two minutes from a PREMIER secluded snorkeling beach and bay and it’s always under $99 per night. Full private studio, patio, AND full size kitchen inside. But yet somehow, not good enough for some guests! LOL. That’s the business though. Some people love you, others not so much! LOL.

I can PM you with the listing if you want. :slight_smile: You can peruse and steal whatever copy you wish. I’ve honed it well over the years and pretty much don’t get bad guests now. Remember that book, “No Bad Dogs?” The premise being that bad dogs were the owners’ fault. Same with guests. Define your expectations and leave no doubt! Just like I do with my first grade students. If I did not tell them at the beginning of the school day how they are expected to behave (I’m strict!) then they run amok and I have the day from hell. Same with guests!!!

LAY IT OUT THERE! The stricter you are, the more they will respect you. The more lax you are, the more they will stomp all over you. That’s a lesson every first year teacher learns the hard way usually!

1 Like

LOL!! laughed out loud with that one; but its true isn’t it?! everyone is after a bargain

1 Like

Reading your post I have to say that as a host, these guests did nothing really outside of what guests do except bring extra people in, if that’s what they actually did. Champaign stains on the floor? is this carpet or hardwood? I have hardwoods throughout my house and I have never had anything stain my hardwoods, red wine included. Also, if you have hardwood floors, all of your furniture should have felt pads on to protect the finish on the hardwood, if you don’t, that is on you and not your guests. guests will move chairs around to suit their needs and if you have clear rules, this can be avoided. Dishes not washed in the sink? I ask guest to clean up after themselves, however I rewash every plate, glass, and all the silverware every time a guest checks out. It’s a lot of work and I don’t live in a state that has water issues so I guess that is probably not a practical thing for you, but be clear about your negative review of this guest. If he didn’t violate any of your house rules, then you really shouldn’t leave a negative review. The toilet paper on the floor, unwashed glasses in the sink and a guest spilled something on the floor? You have a lot to learn about hosting people in your property. This is not a quick rich service. This is about sharing your space and experiences with people from all over the world. If you are just trying to make a quick buck, then I say this… You Won’t. You will end up spending more money on repairs and replacing broken glasses and plates, scratched floors, and bedding.

1 Like

Hey Anastasia, I also have a luxury apartment and the floors are Australian hardwood - v expensive! Can I suggest an easy fix to prevent future scratches? Buy those cheap foam pads and stick them to to the bottom of each leg of each stool and chair in the house. Also, I state in house rules to please not wear high heels etc. while in the apartment. Good luck!!

Hi! Thank you! Thats right - no high herls in the house! What kind of pads did you buy? Something like these:

!

Yep, exactly like these and they work a charm!

Awesome!!! Thank you! :+1:

I have tried to recoup funds from guests who damaged a chair that was part of a set of 2. The guest took a 30lb leaning mirror with a very heavy wooden frame an set it on top of the chair, leaving a dent in the cushion underneath. They had also spilled red wine on my slipcovered sofa in two places.

Airbnb refused to pay anything for the chair and asked me to get an estimate of the price to have the sofa cover cleaned, not replaced. Even after cleaning, the stains are there.

Airbnb will haggle you on your claims.
Don’t expect them to cover the issues, even if you have a security deposit in place : /.

If anyone has suggestions on how to have your items better covered in the case that you do have damages, I’d be happy to take them.

All in all, I spent maybe 4 or more hours on the phone and a few more collecting and sending info and responding to emails.

Waste of time!

1 Like

Wouldn’t your insurance cover those things?