Just a gut check here

1. Yes, I did ask for payment and got total denial of any responsibility.
  2. I have been screening to avoid this type of situation with success until this guest. I just got hit again by another military group. Military has been and continues to be the common thread. Short of saying "no military’ I am not sure of the remedy.
    If an effort to cut this off, I have changed my page to reflect “not suitable for children under 12”. This should solve part of the problem. It will impact my business as I do get many lovely family groups. But at this stage, the costs far outweigh the good.
2 Likes

I’ve had some similar issues and now insist on getting full answers to my questions. I’ve had people with “no place to stay; can we book via Air and pay you cash?” to “I need to book for my fiance but make sure he pays you when he gets there with his credit card.” (no third party booking, fiance needs account before booking), and lots of people who can’t or won’t send their IDs to Air for profile verification.

Five. Count 'em five of these in the last 10 days.

2 Likes

Wow! Do you think they are real people, scammers or a little bit of both? I got a rush of “new profile” people over the summer and at first I was just :+1:t4: but then it became clear vetting was needed because of the dishonesty & damage. I know we have a lot of non-vetters and “pick your battles” approaches here, but I decided that proactively picking my battles was better for me and it’s not hurt business at all and made hosting much more enjoyable for me.

Wow. That is really strange. And sounds very annoying. It does feel like there are a lot of new users but I haven’t had any of them balk at the system. I am mostly noticing a real decrease in communication but I can deal with that. Less work for me.

THIS. The hot tub is the best reason you don’t allow children. Drowning and overheating hazard.

I understand where you are coming from.

We have set the hot tub at 101 and locked it at that setting. We want to avoid burns, overheating and problems for those using certain meds. There are safety notices posted on both sides of the hot tub.

We have two sets of locking straps for the cover but you cannot fix stupid.

We do post a notice that no one under 12 can be in the hot tub. Still I am more convinced every day that only 1in 4 guests can read.

My insurance company worked with me on writing the house rules and disclaimers for everything from the swing set, i.e. what kind of swings I can use, how high they can be off the ground; to the treadmill in the house, when I made the house a STR. I even replaced the porch rails as they wanted them higher.

Adjustors review my page and send me notes about photos if they have a question. And from time to time, they physically do a walk though to check on safety. They have authorized the hot tub even when renting to guests with children. I try to do my due diligence.

I manage the lawn and beds at the house as I live next door. All of this is disclosed on my page, even in the photos.

I try to avoid being present when I have guests but will water plants regularly when temps are about 90, or remove snow/ice as needed. That said, if I, or my maintenance crew are in the yard, we always check that the cover is locked. I also have regular maintenance on the hot tub settings/chemicals. Guests are given 24 hour notice, or more, if someone will be by to check hot tub or mow. My point is, it is a concern but we strive to mitigate it any way we can while allowing our guests to enjoy themselves.

I provide water sprinklers (misters) for kids to play with in summer. It is hot and dry here. My lawn is always happy to see a little extra water and my guests like it too.

The hot tub is in a yard with 7 ft stockade fence which is locked.

3 Likes

You can’t enforce if you allow anyone younger to stay there. That was my point. Just say the place is not suitable for children and name that as one of the hazards. Dammit, I was trying to help you find a reason to keep kids out that is OK with Air!

1 Like

Some were scammers (pay you cash when I get there; me and my gf are homeless," and some were clueless “I’ve booked for 1 night, need 3 and it’s 2 people instead of the 1 plus I don’t want to give Air my license and I’ve called them but they won’t help and I really want to stay at your place…” I was sorry to lose the $$$ for 3 nights at a higher price, but if this was her trying to book… yikes.

Yes, I’m noticing this, too. But that’s OK, as long as they communicate their check in time and tell me they’ve read the HR and are OK with the cat.

Pool, canal, no fence to canal, steps to pool. Nope, no kiddos.

Willful ignorance and willful stupidity. I’m always amazed.

1 Like