I've had it with AirBnB v.Covid-19

Wow
A lot of supporters of Airbnb tonight.

You guys SuperHosts?

1 Like

Reliant on Airbnb income to get by?

Been invited to apply for Superhost fund?

1 Like

People who have an issue with Airbnb placing the pandemic financial burden entirely on the shoulders of hosts have “soul-searching” to do?

1 Like

@Grendel I think Airbnb could have handled the COVID crisis much better than they did, in terms of informing their hosts of their intentions to refund 100% for COVID. They shouldn’t have just sprung it on everyone without warning.
But I’m with @HH_AZ- I think that refunding guests 100% for cancelling during a pandemic, when no one should be travelling, except for emergency situations, is the right thing to do. I would have done it on my own regardless of whether Airbnb had instituted that. And so would a lot of other hosts here. Taking $ for a service that you haven’t provided makes no sense to me, and the pandemic is no one’s fault. Why should guests, who never availed themselves of our services, for a legitimate reason, have to lose 50% of their $? It isn’t their affair that we decided to become Airbnb hosts, and there were never any guarantees that we’d just be able to merrily go along hosting without a hitch forever.

3 Likes

@muddy
The point is, the call is not Airbnb’s to make

Hey guys. I’m a super host. I’ve been invited to apply for the super host fund. And yet even I can see the ridiculousness of Airbnb putting the entire burden of the pandemic on our shoulders.

The issue isn’t so much about taking money through a service that isn’t provided. It’s about complying with the terms of the contract between Airbnb and host/Superhost.

The contract that most of us understood to be was that our cancellation policy would be complied with. It was unilaterally overridden, at the expense of hosts

1 Like

Airbnb didn’t put the burden of the pandemic on hosts shoulders. The pandemic did. All the hosts who are outraged that Airbnb didn’t uphold their cancellation policy seem to think they’re in some special protected class that shouldn’t have had to suffer financially , like hundreds of thousands of other people in other walks of life are suffering right now. Including guests.

3 Likes

@muddy
Nope
Airbnb did

Airbnb’s conscious decision to screw hosts over to benefit guests and themselves

This is like one of those arguments between Trump supporters and others who don’t support him.

No one is really going to change the mind of the other… lol

2 Likes

How on earth anyone could consider a pandemic that has infected almost 4 million people and killed over 250,000 NOT to be an extenuating circumstance is beyond me.

3 Likes

@muddy
The difference being that Airbnb made the conscious decision to override an existing policy to favor guests at the expense of hosts, whose product they rely on to make money

1 Like

The only thing that makes sense is for Guest and Host to share equally in the burden of the pandemic. Which is 50% to host, 50% to Guest

1 Like

They used their EC policy, which you agreed to when you signed on as a host, in exactly the way it should be used.

2 Likes

Pretty sure I never agreed to a blanket 100% refund for all reservations

1 Like

And why there are so many Airbnb apologists here is beyond my understanding

If you came here to commiserate and find AirBNB haters, then you found at least one in @Ghvs and I know there are others.

I am

No. And while I feel badly for those who are, it’s not unlike any other investment, that should have a business plan and a backup plan. Any financial advisor would require that you be diversified and not reliant on any one income stream.

No

Every host has other options; if a host is fully reliant on AirBNB it was their own decision (see comments above). They could have gone direct, used another service (subject to their T&C’s) or could just get out of the STR business. But blaming AirBNB is so much easier than taking responsibility for one’s own decisions.

@Grendel. I encourage you to read the terms and conditions I posted. If that doesn’t spell it out for you, then I suggest that you are just like the trump supporters who consider drinking bleach, not willing or smart enough to read the fine print and understand the ramifications.

5 Likes

You agreed to participate in a platform which has an EC policy. A pandemic where no one should be travelling is an EC. It’s not got anything to do with being an Airbnb apologist. It has to do with being a socially responsible human being.
Yes, I’m a Superhost. No, I’m not reliant on Airbnb to get by. I would consider it a foolish business decision to rely on supporting myself on money which someone else holds the purse strings to.

2 Likes

So essentially, you’re going to feck over a whole bunch of guests because you’re a vindictive little twat who signed up to an OTA, without reading the small print.

Again, a bunch of folks who didn’t read the small print when they (digitally) signed on the dotted.

If folks want fuzzy love and hugs, this is not the place.

When you agreed to Airbnb’s T&Cs you signed away any right to have either input or for them to require your consent.

No, just folks who are aware of what you signed up for when you use their platform. Personally, I think it would be fair to say I am not their biggest fan, from way before this incident.

This, 100%. BDC and VRBO/HA took a very different, and far more host centric approach. Curiously, there has been nothing reported, so far anyway, of either company hunting down large injections of cash for working capital.

Yes you did, see above ^

We’ve been seeing a lot of that on here recently, most from new members. There isn’t a host on here who hasn’t lost money. Fortunately, most accept this situation for what it is, a global pandemic that turned the world, as we knew it, on its head.

It is the minority who lash out in all directions, with most of their anger directed towards Airbnb when maybe they should look at their own decisions, i.e. why only use one advertising channel, why didn’t you read what you signed, and so on.

Damn I need another coffee.

JF

12 Likes