It's my turn for a high maintenance guest

I installed such a thing and I glance at it throughout the day and before bed. I had people this year setting it to 60 (minimum possible). Of course I adjust it to 70 immediately and I do mention this in the review!

1 Like

“Ego te absolvo; exire et amplius iam noli peccare” rotflmao

2 Likes

@dpfromva, @Magwitch @KKC @casailinglady @LiveOakVineyard
Dear Fellow Hosts,
Your guidance has been so valuable, thank you. Please see below my draft; it may be too verbose so I’ll welcome your kind feedback.

Dear X,

The comfort and satisfaction of my guests are of utmost importance to me. You have brought to my attention the issue of noise, both as it relates to the next door neighbor as well as to the band playing at the ABC Hotel over the weekend. I certainly understand that the noise can interfere with your rest.

You also reported a problem with the WiFi and with connectivity speed, which, as you confirmed, has been addressed by the Comcast technicians who came yesterday (Sunday) and today to troubleshoot the issues that affected various customers in the area.

As you have mentioned in one of your messages, my apartment does not seem to be a good fit. While the internet connectivity issue has been addressed, I can’t promise that it won’t happen again as I have no control over the services provided by Comcast. I understand that being able to have a strong, speedy connection is critical for you to conduct your business and I regret the inconvenience that the internet problem it has caused to you and other neighbors in the area.

As for the neighbors’ noise inside their apartments, there is nothing I can do to control it. As for the band playing at the nextdoor ABC Hotel, it’s likely that it will happen again, and if not at the ABC, somewhere else, including nearby parks that may host festivals and events; I also have no control over such noise. The apartment is in the heart of zzzz, an area not known for its peace and quiet.

I suppose the aforementioned issues have been stressful and inconvenient to you, and I doubt that you can be truly satisfied staying at my place. My listing accurately depicts my apartment and the neighborhood. My goal is for all guests to have a pleasant and productive stay. Therefore, I will contact Airbnb host services to locate an alternative place for you that would be more aligned with your preferences and need.

1 Like

Warning: You’ve given her too much room to say her complaints are legitimate. They’re not. She booked a city flat in a party town. And she’s an entiteled millenial diva.

Dear X,

The comfort and satisfaction of my guests are of utmost importance to me. Over the past xxx years of hosting and xxx postivve reviews, we have never had guests complain. Until you.

We have made every effort in our power to meet your constant demands. While the wifi issue has been resolved, and was a neighborhood area-wide issue, we cannot guarantee that Comcast’s services will be uninterruputed or error free.

When you booked for a stay in the downtown area of South Beach, Miami, we assumed that you, as a self-proclamied seasoned traveler, understood the party atmosphere and that you would be staying in an apartment building downtown. I have no control over such noise. The apartment is in the heart of zzzz, an area not known for its peace and quiet.

Therefore, I will contact Airbnb host services to locate an alternative place for you that would be more aligned with your long list of demands.

Ladies, we need to stop being so nice! Short, sweet, and say goodbye and no refund for any time she stayed there. Make sure Air understands that.

16 Likes

I love this. 2020times

1 Like

I hope it is in your house rules because otherwise I would be mentioning it in my review as a guest too! Mind you I would never put it at 60 but I might put the heat at 80 or above…

And this host would get an alert on his phone and turn it down to 72 max…

80 is abuse of the hosts resources.

RR

Not abuse if I actually need the temperature that high. Also, depending on the system, I might only put it up 2 degrees at a time. As I have been told that certain systems (like the ones I have) may switch into the expensive emergency heat of the difference is more than that.

I would also turn it down if I was going to be gone all day. I don’t like wasting resources either, no matter whose they are.

If my host did that with no mention of the limitation of the amenity heat, I would certainly mention it in the review. I’d also mention it to the host as well to be fair.

I would not say anything, but d just adjust it down. Propane is expensive.

RR

If you need it that high, I would hope you would alert your host ahead of time. I would consider that a special need. I doubt that any of my houses could get that warm as most of them were built before the days of central heat and then retro-fitted with gfa heating systems. I do have extra portable heaters (electric oil filled radiators) guests can use but I wouldn’t expect any guest to need the house heated to 80 degrees.

The worst I’ve had (that I know about) were guests that, in the coldest month of the year, turned the heat up to 78 degrees and left it there, even while they were at work on 12 hour shifts, and slept on top of the beds (which were equipped properly with quilts, two blankets and top and bottom sheets).

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t need the whole house that high as I’m not in the whole house most of the time but I’d imagine that with sufficient blankets the thermostat wouldn’t even need to be that high. But if it was needed, and a host wouldn’t allow it, or turned it back down before the room warmed up, I would certainly consider that the host was limiting my access to provided amenities and would discuss it with her/him and mention appropriately in review.

I have contacted front desks of hotels I’ve stayed in to fix their units because they did not work to support this temperature and have had it fixed right away in most cases.

I know that one of the top “hosts” in Canada was able to create a large number of listings and plaster each of them with (initially) glowing reviews.

Here’s how.

Have some partners in crime create guest profiles and tell them any transaction will go to YOUR credit card. They get 5 star ratings and you get to write your own reviews.

All of this took place over a 6 month period.

1 Like

@Mandi I followed that story that happened there in Canada. We have a guy in our city who is doing the same thing, I’ve been watching him from before we even had our airbnb because we stayed at airs for the first 2.5 months we were in town. Not sure what to do about it though.

well, setting the hvac at min temp possible in summer (during a heat wave) and at the max temp possible in winter (during an arctic freezing spell) is kind of abnormal. Nobody, no matter if you are from Alaska or Miami, does not do that in their own house. Why do it in mine? It will kill my hvac system. It will not heat/cool the house faster.

1 Like

This and a hundred other reasons is why I won’t hire out my whole apartment or house anymore. Too many issues and people never read listings or house rules. Had my house messed up too many times for too little money. So now it’s bed and breakfast or nothing. Too many anon criminals on the Internet wo use Airbnb because they don’t or can’t rent normally.

1 Like

I would cancel her … the money is not worth the stress

1 Like

I often have the AC on 80’as well, and my heat system goes up to 90 although 85 is probably the highest I have ever set it at. Not abnormal, just atypical is what I often say about myself on many things. Usually I would only get that kind of heat though from gas fireplace or from heater in one room. And I also know that no matter what the temp being set on it is best to do it incrementally a couple degrees at a time. At least for my type central air systems w heat pump.

I never take guests for more than a week. I am not looking for a housemate, and definitely not a high maintenance one. imho a month long guest is asking for trouble, even without the fancy duds, which indicate an attitude on the hoof. Either put up with it, or call Air and get them to cancel for you. She really needs to be in a hotel.

1 Like

This guest will never be pleased no matter what you do. Suggest that she find another place and give her a refund for the unused potion of her stay. It’s not worth your sanity to deal with a nut-job like that every hour of the day! And, she will most likely give you a bad review.

1 Like

It is nothing I would expect a guest to do and completely unfair of a guest to expect the host to suck it up and allow it. I think you would be better suited to a hotel. Propane is expensive.

RR