[It's escalated; cops involved.] Guests breaking the rules; how do I ask them leave and cancel their stay?

I am in the go over and remove them camp, open the door and pop it off the hinges. Bring over everyone you know, start packing for them. Call the cops again, tell them they are trespassing. Get air to cancel NOW do not let them stay. I would have had them out within the hour of showing up with dogs, cameras are your friends.

Sorry you are going through this. Do not let them walk on you, they are NOT tenants do not let the cops tell you that BS.

RR

4 Likes

If there is a big party there are probably multiple violations like public disturbance, public drunkeness, parking violations. If someone has an Airbnb reservation and just refuse to leave, it’s not a violation yet. Once their reservation is cancelled you have a different issue. In my town they will respond to just about any call, but are they going to force someone out of a home that they have a reservation for? I hope not. The cancellation has to come first.

1 Like

Well, it’s all on hold until tomorrow, since my husband had to go to work. AirBnb still hasn’t cancelled the reservation.

The best that I can offer to you at this point is that this forum has your back. Selfish as it seems, what affects you affects all of us too. From someone who has been scared and overwhelmed, trust me, there are a lot of very smart people here who have forgotten more than I know. Prayers for you, yours, and your peace of mind.
a

7 Likes

This is ridiculous. Infuriating. Disheartening. One thing for sure, it would make me very hesitant to have any kind of longer term reservation through them. I’ve never had an Airbnb reservation for more than 5 days.

6 Likes

Airbnb finally cancelled the reservation at noon today, said they would tell “guests” to be out in an hour. On my way back home from the police station they were still there. The police said they still can’t do anything, but the next step is to go to the magistrate and try to have them arrested.

Seriously, there’s nothing between “do nothing” and “arrest”? Oh well, off to find the magistrate.

3 Likes

Why aren’t you taking more proactive steps to remove them such as the ones suggested here? I’m not trying to be accusatory, just curious. At the very least they shouldn’t have any internet.

3 Likes

The police said we couldn’t do anything without an order. For future reference, could I tow their cars? My best friend is married to a repo man

It does appear they have finally left. Husband is heading over now.

3 Likes

Thank goodness. Please update us. If you don’t have cameras get them and change the locks.

3 Likes

It appears that the police may think that the rules are the same for monthly or long term rentals as for short stays. Check your local laws. If AirBnB has cancelled their trip they are trespassing and you should NOT need any kind of court order if you have given them written notice that they are trespassing! You probably will need to educate yourself about applicable law so you can quote it to the cops.

5 Likes

They are gone, dogs and all. We changed the locks. The house is a complete mess, but it looks like the only real damaged is a couch with food smashed all over it. Stinks like a dirty bar: smoke, weed and alcohol. Mud everywhere inside and on the deck, and lots of dog poop in the yard.

So overall, it’s a big relief, them being gone and manageable filth.

Oh, after they left, they were driving through the neighborhood, approached my (adult looking) son who was down the street, and asked him if he knew a place they could stay.

7 Likes

Take pictures, get estimates from professionals for clean up, and get as much money from Airbnb as you can. Maybe your local media would be interested?

3 Likes

OMG, my worse fear- You are so lucky they left. I am surprised they left-wonder what made them leave? I doubt Airbnb really had any leverage? This makes me think about renting only shorter times, unless people have several good references. Did these folks have References? If so, what were they?

I would be tempted to take their license and report them DWI

1 Like

I’m sorry you had such a terrible experience. From prior posts I’ve read (I’ve not been through the process) you have to be FAST in getting in the documentation and do it before anyone else checks in. Don’t wait and I’ve also heard that don’t expect much, the million-dollar guarantee is marketing not reality. Not trying to be a downer…I hope things get better soon.

1 Like

Document everything and get invoices. You will have to literally stalk Air BNB to get your money back and they will try to offer you half of what you ask for. Don’t take it!! Insist on the full amont and they will cave after putting you on a 5 minute hold. You have to put in a request to the guest for additional funds to start the process. Make sure you exaggerate!! If you think it’s going to cost $500, ask for $1000. Don’t let Air BNB off the hook if you have to call them three times a day until you get your money. It worked for me after a tenant smoked, did the exploding bottle of champagne thing in the kitchen, and literally left a dinner plate sized blood stain on one of the beds - people can be disgusting.

My advise: take action. It is your house, your rule. Do something when you still can. Do not rely to much on Airbnb. You have an obligation to report, but take some actions to protect your property.

My personal experience, but my guests (stayed 4nights) already left my property when I found out they have been smoking EVERYWHERE in the apartment, despite ‘no smoking’ sign in the living room, clear no-smoking policy in the house manual, clear no-smoking warning in the check-in email. I documented everything: videos and photos. We had to do a deep cleaning to get rid of the cigarette butt smell. We reported this immediately to Airbnb, sent the pics and videos, and later on sent a copy of the cleaning invoice. Airbnb’s response: please message the guest directly. The guest did not response at all. I am stuck with the hefty cleaning bill, and all I could do was write them a bad review on Airbnb.
Later on, I found out from the building management, that the guests were suspected of bringing prostitutes.

I have given up on hoping Airbnb doing something. If they do, then good. If they don’t, I am not disappointed

That’s unacceptable. Call back and talk to another customer service rep. I charged a guest for smoking in my house, and I had no problem collecting through the resolution center.

2 Likes

I think this is their advice when hosts try to skip this step. Always ask the guests for payment first; this is always via the resolution center, then escalate after 72 hours when you don’t hear from them.

2 Likes

We were paid for the guests’ full stay ($1900 for 29 nights). They left after 4 days. Airbnb is trying to get us to give them a refund, and there is -$1655 pending on our Airbnb account, but not on our bank account. Does that -$1655 mean they WANT it back or are they actually TAKING it back?

If it is just a request, and we are allowed to keep the money, we won’t file a claim, since the $1655 would cover cleaning and damages (assuming the stench is gone in 3 weeks).
If Airbnb is taking the money back we would file a claim.

1 Like