Is white leather furniture a crazy idea?

Dear Fellow Hosts,
Someone is selling the entire contents of their large apartment, including white leather sofas and white leather headboards for beds. Is white leather practical or totally off-the-wall impractical?

1 Like

Sounds off-the-wall crazy to me.

1 Like

@RebeccaF Hi Rebecca, thank you for the reality check! I appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

If the price is right, I would go for it. I had a white leather sofa and I actually used Clorox wipes on it to wipe off stains. It worked well until my son (at the time he was a toddler) wrote on it with a purple pen. If you mostly host adults, I think it would be fine but not if you’re hosting young families.

1 Like

I have cream leather in one of the apartments and it cleans brilliantly. It’s been perfect for me (I don’t host children).

In the days when I allowed dogs before the HOA demanded otherwise, I’d point out the throws during the house tour.

Another advantage of leather is that it won’t absorb smells the way that fabrics often do.

3 Likes

I’ve had three cream leather sofas since 2016 and they’ve worked out brilliantly. Would not hesitate to do it again.

3 Likes

I have a cream fabric sofa that cleans up beautifully. It’s the 2nd white sofa I’ve had - and I throw red wine parties! :wink: Go for it. Especially the headboard. Sounds great.

1 Like

@Ritz3 @casailinglady @jaquo Thank you for the input. She wants to sell everything for $3,000 (2 queen beds, 2 sofas and 2 queen headboards), used (2 years old). My concern is transporting the pieces.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great price. You can rent a U Haul if you know a few strong men or women that can help move the furniture.

Seems a lot easier to just hire one of those small business movers. Two guys and a truck sort of thing. Usually available pretty much everywhere, at least anywhere I’ve ever lived.

I’d want to oversee the loading and unloading, though, to make sure they were careful with all of it.

2 Likes

I had cream colored leather for years, and they stood up well, even with cats and kids. The only thing that really messed them up was ballpoint pen.

2 Likes

If the price is bargain-ish I would grab it. Um, gee, is that sale located within driving distance of me? :slight_smile:

Remember this stuff is used for automobiles all the time. There are a zillion products at most car washes, and auto detailers know a lot about leather in all colors.

The one thing that will happen, if you are dog friendly, is claw scratches. With black/brown leather this is easy to improve. Over many years white leather will take on a patina that is darker.

1 Like

That’s a great deal! I’d hire those 2 broke guys movers or college hunks - or a small UHaul or Home Depot truck and get some friends, beer, and pizza and move it.

Good luck!

1 Like

White and cream look nice, depends on other colors around too.