Is this sketchy?

I believe that the FHA, for banks that use their process, is the source of the new regulations. All banks in our area use their protocol even when the loan is not being underwritten this way. To sell the mortgage onto the third party market, the documentation needs to be to that standard. [if I recall all of this correctly.] I wish I could have found the articles that I read over the summer that detailed this change, but I too have unsuccessful.

I believe the paperwork and regulation are the same for all types of loans, same rigorous paperwork, money trail, etc. However, non FHA loans can close much faster bc they don’t have as many restrictions, like PMI, etc. That is just a guess!

Don’t do it! A few weeks ago I had someone use my Airbnb profile to rent a place in London and I am in Washington state. Once I figured out what was going on Airbnb was on top of it. The Airbnb host got short changed on his funds but at least they are safe. Who knows what this person would of done since it wasn’t me. It could of been a mess for me to. Listen to your gut.

Sounds like there is a story there. Do tell.

1 Like

I would be happy to…Over Labor Day weekend …4 am in the morning my phone is going nuts with notifications from Airbnb. Thinking it was my Airbnb guest canceling I checked it. Their was all these conversations with various Airbnb host asking to stay. The hacker claimed it was their husband niece who was their and was looking for a place to stay. They actually got a reservation…paid for it. The hacker used their own credit card and deleted mine. Of coarse what ever funds I got from hosting would go straight to their card. I got hold of Airbnb and they were on top of it all. Took about an hour being on the phone and it was all cleared up. They got hold of everyone (host) to notify them of the situation. Then I emailed the various host and apologized for the inconvience. I could only imagine one of these hackers staying with someone …robbing them or what ever else …a possibility of putting them in harms way…and it would be me to put the blame on. Never rent to anyone that’s not on the profile. For added protection go to your security setting…their is a spot for notifying you when ever your account gets logged on to.

1 Like

Start with asking for the person to complete more verifications. It also buys you time to think on this.

Hi @Smiley,

So, some crook was using your account to book Airbnb rentals? How did he or she manage that? Did he get hold of your password somehow? Or am I misunderstanding?

Thank you everyone for the sage advice. After confirming some information including, as best I could, that the account was set up by his wife, I requested a copy of government ID and reached out to his Realtor, then accepted the pre-approval request. He responded that a decision would be made by last night. Crickets…

I have just withdrawn the pre-approval. Is it necessary to also select the DECLINE option or will he have to resubmit another request?

Thank you all again. I don’t always hear what I want to hear on this site and know that “results may vary”, but it is a valuable resource, especially for us newbies. As my daughter says, “When you’re right, you’re right.”!

We were the ‘hosts’ in a similar scam! We got 3 different confirmed (IB) reservations, and then ABB Trust n Safety cancelled the reservations bc of issues they would not tell us. It was so weird

1 Like

I absolute have no idea. They actually credited back the scammers account which seem to be in Canadian Funds. If the account even was theirs.

I can’t find this option under my account or profile. Would you please tell me where this is? Thank you.

@sandy2 Go to the menu under your profile picture, all the way to the right when logged into AirBNB on a browser, in the javascript drop down menu select Account Settings -> Notifications. You should see all the available options. I have chosen to have almost everything checked so that I get a push notification, especially new logins.

Thanks, Susan. I have everything checked, too, but I don’t see a tab for log-in notifications. I just logged in and I didn’t get an email or text. hmmmmmm

Try the website

You are in the wrong place.

and @KKC has the other location above.

1 Like

@anon67190644 @KKC Found it! Thank you! Looks like “I” added Chrome in different versions, which I don’t ever remember doing! I deleted those and I’m going to change my password. Thanks for the heads up!

One from and Android in Plano Texas! I haven’t been to Texas in over 20 years!

1 Like

Have you ever used the website in ‘incognito’ mode on Chrome? That will give you a different location :slight_smile:

Good to know. That might explain how all that got there.

Yes – thank you!

I feel better, now (changed my password, anyway :wink: )

I went and checked my last log ins, and a few were from Indiana, clearly I’m not there. I realized I use incognito mode by accident the other day, and the date/times/computer corresponded…mystery solved!