Is this my learning curve or my guests?

It’s a cultural thing (well, for me). My family originally were gypsies and it is (or was, maybe not now) considered pretty gross to use the same container for washing pots/pans/crockery etc. and for washing bits of the body. Separate bowls are (were?) always used. So it has always been second nature to me.

This being said, I too will rinse my hands under the kitchen tap if they get gribbly due to food prep :slight_smile:

I like this review, thank you

Thank you so much Ritz3!

1 Like

THIS! Is what I wish I had done. Learning curve for me. Re cleaning dishes in the bathroom sink-there isn’t a cook top, no pots or pans are involved. It’s simply hitting a small plate with a touch of soap, rinsing out glassware, etc. NOT a big deal. I do rewash in between guests as I don’t care to hang my cleanliness rating on how well the last guest washed the coffee cup :-). I have had guests here and there that simply rinse the beverage from the glassware and silver so it doesn’t dry and cake on. I am just fine with this. I’m not fine finding a wine glass or coffee cup that is stained as it sat too long with product in it.

Thank you for the detailed feedback, is much appreciated!

Wine helps everything!! Thank you BurmaPark for the kind words, I appreciate you!

1 Like

Thank you K9KarmaCasa, you are right. I have been lucky with great guests, but there are probably more “Matts” in my future :slight_smile: The bathroom sink has never been an issue. Matt brought it up as a defense, although he didn’t bother to rinse them let alone wash them. He used the work “thoroughly” as if I was complaining that his “wash” job wasn’t good enough, ha!

1 Like

Seriously jaquo? You must be barrels of fun at parties! You lead with an insult, follow that by referring to me in the third person-Hello, I’m right here and my name is Jane! You continue by saying the “host” is "inattentive by letting the guest “dictate check out time” Ummm, apparently you did not comprehend what I wrote, so please allow the “host” to clarify for you. “The guest messaged me close to check-out telling me he would be late doing so as he was 30 minutes away and having breakfast.” I suppose if I concentrated hard enough I could have teleported him. :frowning: Regarding the bathroom sink and dishes, I have replied to others stating it’s mostly glassware and silverware, very easy to clean, not gross and never a problem in the past. YMMV

jaquo, I have been in the hospitality business for 30+ years. Hospitality is a business of people. People have emotions. People in general do not want to offend or be an asshole to others. People that aren’t assholes do question if they did the right thing, as they truly want to take the high road. With the exception of your poorly thought out response, I have gleaned insight as to why I was having the negative feelings and know how I will handle this type of situation going forward.

I totally get CabinHosts point in the “Can we all try to get along better” thread

2 Likes

SandyToes, be careful of washing your hands too much with dishwashing detergent. Yes, it is stronger than hand soap and if you do it too often, it can strip away the protective layer of your skin. I lived this nightmare!

There is always this wisdom that your write a review not for the guests but for ‘other future hosts’.
Even then, the review should be written in some type of code or just vague language that is deemed ‘professional’.

For me, I think an honest review gives the guest a point to reflect on their conduct as well.
The review should contain some aspects of what a host was unhappy about. Best suited to a hotel type of review seems cowardly to me.

I recently had a guest, profile picture with wife and kids, about a dozen reviews behind him.
When he arrived it was with five men, for the World Cup.

The apartment was left, to me in a sorry state. Lights left on, a/c left on, dishes in the sink, smoking outside windows. Looked like they all enjoyed shopping as each room was covered in tags and packaging, shoe boxes with the paper inside new shoes left behind on the floor. Towels used and then thrown at the walls, duvet left on top of the wardrobe, pillows discarded. All the cabinet and wardrobe doors left open. Party remnants in the lounge, snacks strewn on the floor, three bags of rubbish collected, stains on the floor, stains on the sofa, piss on the bathroom floor, all the dishes and glasses left out unwashed.

I suppose his behavior in a group changed or the dynamics of the group were different to what his family group conduct was of course. He got the benefit of the doubt as the previous reviews were fine.

My review listed what my experience was of finding the flat was like, a concise summary of what the reality was.

He responded to the review, - he checked before leaving, lights were off, a/c was off, bathroom was clean, all towels were gathered together, they had to leave early and no time to do dishes, they did some shopping and only a couple of tags on the floor, we paid a lot of money boohoo but nothing was damaged was it ? so that’s ok. It stung enough for the guest to make a reply, although no apologies and complete denial of most of the events.

Anyway future hosts can see what happened, a review with details to glean what they will and a response too whereby you can consider the merits of this guest.

You can argue that it comes down to he said/she said. Perhaps the guest will have a rethink about his conduct if he books elsewhere.

Write more suitable to a hotel environment if you wish, but don’t be a coward and omit to explain why.

3 Likes

I understand feeling “haunted” by your first thumbs-down review. I just did my first one too, and the guest likewise had left me full 5* in every category. :sweat:

I really only felt bad for the day while I was thinking about what to say, but with the help of the awesome folks on this forum, I think I struck the right note with my review and I feel fine with it now.

I guess writing poor reviews are alot like writing emails - always sleep at least one night before posting to let some of the anger go.

I hope you can agree that discussing it here was somewhat therapeutic.

4 Likes

The sink discussion is a reminder to me of how rich I am. Not only are there 5 sinks in my home, I have 9 taps/faucets in the house and also have 3 outdoor taps where things can be rinsed or washed. I can turn on any one of them and get clean, safe drinking water. Wow! Amazing. Not even everyone in the US can boast of that, much less the world. It’s going to be a great day.

7 Likes

It absolutely helped running it by you all TuMo. Yes, some regret remains as I could have handled it better. Was he an entitled, clueless newbie? Yes, but I can only control my own behavior and next time I will aim for the higher road. I didn’t sleep on it and let my aggravation lead the way. Thanks for sharing your experience TuMo

1 Like

OMG, sorry you had to experience that theredlion, sounds awful! The blatant disrespect is appalling. After adding his response to my public review, my guest PM me stating that people have sex and sheets get stained, that’s life. He continued attacking me, even saying I was creepy. Not a good experience.

2 Likes

@JaneB I’ve sent you a PM.

In a commercial kitchen of course there would be a separate basin for hand washing. Few of us can afford that at home.
Washing other body parts in a bathroom basin? I have a bidet in my bathroom but that is a rarity as well. Europeans are a bit more advanced in this regard than Brits.

I’m lucky because my apartment is so tiny that it’s only a few steps from the kitchen to the bathroom :slight_smile:

We had a bidet in our bathroom when I was a kid (in England). I don’t remember any of us kids using it for its intended purpose - we used it to play dentists!

Lol, better than being afraid of the dentist! I had no such luxury as a girl, lucky to have an upstairs bath, not even a shower. I do like being able to freshen up between showers and baths. This hot Summer it’s been great for feet and it’s just the best place for shaving your legs. Love it.

1 Like

When I was a small child in Yorkshire, it was the outdoor ‘privy’ up the yard. Shared with next door’s and with squares of the Radio Times on a rusty nail for ‘hygiene’ purposes. My mum and dad though were what we later described as upwardly mobile so our next home, a brand spanking new bungalow, was complete with bidet - in a fetching shade of pink :slight_smile:

It’s grim up north but also down south! My grandparents had squares from the Southampton Echo on said closet nail. During the war they kept a goat in the city to avoid getting rickets. There was also a blackberry hedge for vitamin C of course and that still used to please and scratch me in equal measure in the 70s. We don’t know we’re born.

1 Like

With over 100+ guests, I’ve only had one that disappointed me. Similar infractions to your situation. I admit to feeling violated and my place disrespected and I grappled with how to handle it. I figure guests leave hotel rooms for housekeeping staff in a condition that a housekeeper probably doesn’t give it a second thought - the difference being they don’t take it personally like we Airbnb hosts might. I decided to leave no review at all, but conflicted that I didn’t provide proper feedback for him to improve or for future hosts to have a heads up. Now, I’m glad I chose the route I did. I feel bad that you got a retaliatory comment because you didn’t deserve it and your place looks amazing. I saved it for a future visit to Palm Springs!