Is this a coincidence?

That is the perfect reason to leave less than 5-stars. Ideally, the host should be contacted right away and allowed a chance to rectify the situation. I think that is fair to report an issue and see if the host will fix it or compensate somehow. However, in your case, not paying the TV license when you have TV as an amenity is just plainly not a 5-star stay - especially if the host didn’t contact you and let you know prior to your arrival.

No. Even Superhosts only have to have a 4.8. There are lots of listings down around 4 and there’s a couple under 4 in my neighborhood. There TOS states that you can be removed if:

you have repeatedly received poor Ratings or Reviews or Airbnb otherwise becomes aware of or has received complaints about your performance or conduct

And there are some goal ratings that are under your oppportunities tab. The basic requirements goal is 4.7.

Which is one of the main issues because hotel star ratings are based on amenities and facilities - that is what is meant by a “3-star or 4-star hotel”, however, hotels now have review ratings as well. I’m sure they system is not helping them either.

But, this is decidely different than believing all of your guests need to be “educated” so you can get 5-star reviews.

Though I think it’s fair to ask you, why did you not know about the issues until your guests were leaving? Did you not check in with them after the first night and make sure there weren’t any issues? If you did and they didn’t tell you about them, then so be it; however, if you didn’t ask then that is on you and maybe not a 5-star stay. I don’t mean to be a harsh but a 5-star stay includes a host that is at least trying to find out about issues, head them off and fix them before the guests leave.

Because they did not tell me until then.

It was a one night booking, and of course I checked in with them. The biggest issue was the shower was luke warm, the guest was a plumber and told me exactly how to fix it the anti scald function needed to be adjusted. Likely they only discovered this in the morning after my post check in message. This is brand new construction and i spent the night in the listing last week but I never showered there since I live a block away otherwise I would have discovered it.

RR

1 Like

Oh yeah, the one-night bookings are hard for these things. I worry the most about the one-nights. Fair enough!

Edit to add: But other hosts reading this should heed the warning. It is imperative to check in with your guests and make sure there are no issues.

I love one nighters! They usually come in late, do not cook and leave early. My kind of guest!

I am welcoming guest number 2 today, this one from VRBO and the shower is hot, i fixed it the minute I got in yesterday. The other issue was that a circuit breaker tripped, one of those touchy arc fault breakers and I am replacing all three of those breakers today with standard breakers so that will not be an issue. These things are so touchy it is crazy. The code required them, they cost $40 a piece and in the end the inspector never looked.

RR

1 Like

Me too!! They’re my favorite. I was referring to there being any issues, they are more worrisome for that because there’s not as much time to find out about any issues and fix or compensate for them. Most people staying for only one-night are less likely to reach out about any issue before they leave. The stakes are a bit higher, that’s all.

1 Like